Probius Build Guide “What do you need?”
Welcome to our guide for Probius, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Probius' Overview
Probius is a ranged specialist who excels at zone control by means of setting up and activating a plethora of structures and abilities. When given the opportunity, Probius is able to craft a devastating gauntlet that will cripple the entire enemy team. His bread and butter ability combo ( Disruption Pulse/ Warp Rift) can deal massive amounts of AoE damage to multiple enemies, while Photon Cannon will chip away at any and all who stray too close. At Level 10, Probius is able to chose between damage ( Pylon Overcharge) and utility ( Null Gate), either of which will greatly aid his allies in combat.
2. Probius' Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Probius' Talent Build Cheatsheet
Disruption Pulse BuildTalent calculator »
The Disruption Pulse Build places heavy emphasis on dealing large amounts of damage by striking multiple targets with Disruption Pulse. Echo Pulse allows Probius to strike the same target or targets twice with a single pulse cast, all the while having its damage amplified by the effects of Particle Accelerator. The rebounded pulse can even trigger the explosion of a Warp Rift that was cast after the initial Disruption Pulse cast or created by Probius Loop at Level 20.
Photon Cannon BuildTalent calculator »
The Photon Cannon Build is a more passive playstyle that relies heavily on placing and protecting Photon Cannons throughout skirmishes. Completion of Gather Minerals is Probius' highest priority as it will significantly increase the damage output and utility of his Photon Cannons. Null Gate can help peel away enemies and prevent them from escaping the range of Probius' cannons. Although the emphasis of this build is Photon Cannon, Probius should still always be casting both Warp Rift and Disruption Pulse, as Power Fields will ensure Mana reserves remain topped off.
Warp Rift BuildTalent calculator »
The Warp Rift Build is capable of dealing massive amounts of AoE damage through use of the Warp Rift/ Disruption Pulse combo. Probius should try to complete the quest portion of Warp Resonance as early as possible, as it will provide him a sizable power spike. Rift Shock and Power Overflowing significantly increase Probius' damage output for a quite lengthy duration which will be constantly refreshed with each successful Warp Rift explosion. Probius should always try to catch multiple targets within an explosion, however he should rarely hold off a guaranteed strike on one target for the mere chance to strike two.
4. Probius' Synergies and Counters
Probius works best with Heroes that provide a strong frontline he is able to seek refuge behind, as well as supports who can assist in peeling away enemies attempting to dive him. These Heroes also should have some reliable source of hard crowd-control since Probius unfortunately does not have any himself until Level 16 with Repulsor.
5. Probius' Maps
Probius performs best on larger Battlegrounds that revolve heavily around objectives that he is able to have ample time to set up for. Probius has incredible staying power and is able to easily prevent enemies from capturing certain objectives (such as Altars on Towers of Doom) with his ranged abilities and Photon Cannons. Battlegrounds with lots of narrow spaces and chokepoints give Probius many places to hide Pylons and force enemy Heroes through the effected area of his Warp Rifts.
6. Probius' Tips and Tricks
- Unlike mounts, Worker Rush may be used in combat. Keep in mind that ALL damage (including damage-over-time such as poisons) will immediately break the effect.
- Place Pylons from Warp In Pylon within brush or behind terrain or allied fortification to protect them from being immediately destroyed.
- Do not be afraid to poke enemies with Disruption Pulse when unable to set up or waiting on the cooldown of Warp Rift.
- Warp Rift is most effective when used in narrow corridors and chokepoints that force enemies to travel through its AoE.
- Photon Cannon is great for zoning as well as soaking damage from Minions, Mercenaries, and enemy structures.
- Save Pylon Overcharge for teamfights surrounding important Battleground objectives. This will force the enemy to either stay within its range or give up the objective to disengage, either of which are good for Probius and his allies.
- Instead of simply placing Null Gate across a pathway to block it off, Null Gate can be angled slightly (depending on the space) to maximize the distance an enemy will be forced to travel through it.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Probius fills the "role" of a specialist well, providing his team with a healthy mix of teamfight damage, zone control, and pushing power. During the early game, Probius does well in a solo lane. His unlimited Mana regen from Warp In Pylon gives him incredibly staying power and he is able to easily clear waves of minions with a single combo of Disruption Pulse and Warp Rift. Probius should more often favor teamfights (especially ones over Battleground objectives) over split-pushing. Also, Probius should ensure he has ample time to set up his Pylons, Photon Cannons, and Warp Rifts when a teamfight is looming. Because of this, Battleground knowledge (such as timers and objective locations) is highly recommended for effective Probius gameplay.
During teamfights Probius should play similarly to most ranged assassins, staying safe behind the allied frontline while casting his abilities. Probius works best in a more "traditional" team composition, consisting of a solid frontline, support, and fellow damage dealers. When considering Hero options to pair with Probius, make sure to include Heroes with reliable crowd-control, as this is something Probius is severely lacking (aside from Null Gate at Level 10 should it be taken).
- 07 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Pylon Overcharge description, as it no longer gives Pylons bonus Health.
- 07 Jul. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Pylon Overcharge description, as it no longer gives Pylons bonus Health.
- 16 May 2017 (abilities page): Changed Pylon Overcharge's passive shield amount from 50% to 30% in accordance to the May 10, 2017 Balance Update.
- 11 May 2017 (abilities page): Fixed error regarding Photon Cannon's duration and target prioritization.
- 14 Mar. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: May 24th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 21st
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 14th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: May 17th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 14th
- US Senator Seeks to Ban Loot Boxes & Pay-to-Win Microtransactions
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Azmodan
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Potential Team Comp
- Heroes of the Storm Fenix
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters