Mephisto Build Guide “Creation shall tremble!”
Welcome to our guide for Mephisto, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Mephisto is a ranged Assassin who excels at following up allies' ability-chains. In other words, he works well in team compositions that are designed for "wombo combo". Mephisto can be devastating to the enemy team when his attacks are carefully planned. However, poor positioning and hasty use of Shade of Mephisto are easily punished by enemy Heroes who have had enough of the Lord of Hatred.
Mephisto's Strengths and Weaknesses
Mephisto's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Skull Missile BuildTalent calculator »
The Skull Missile build focuses on Talents that will transform Skull Missile into your primary damage dealing tool. Unyielding Power is a quest that increases Skull Missile damage and decreases its cooldown when completed. After the reduced cooldown component of Unyielding Power is unlocked, Mephisto can cast Skull Missile much more often. If Skull Missile hits more than one enemy Hero, the cooldown will be completely reset. Hateful Mending adds healing to Skull Missile based on the damage it deals. This self-healing can be quite powerful when Skull Missile hits more than one enemy Hero. All of the options at Level 20 can work, but Mimic opens up additional options for Lightning Reaction explosion positioning.
Consume Souls BuildTalent calculator »
This Build is designed to maximise Mephisto's Spell Power in preparation for his most reliable Heroic Ability, Consume Souls. The idea here is to hit an enemy Hero with Skull Missile, triggering the effect of Abhorred Skull. Immediately cast Shade of Mephisto in order to gain even more Spell Power from Malicious Intent, and to reach a position which you can complete Consume Soul's channel without being interrupted. Enemy Heroes who are unable to avoid the blast will be hit by a much more powerful Consume Souls. If you plan to use Consume Souls as a follow-up rather than a team fight opener, you can take Hysteria instead of Abhorred Skull. This will slightly reduce the power of Consume Souls, but make it easier to use and available more often. Remember that Spell Power also increases the damage of your Basic Abilities; Malicious Intent and Abhorred Skull can greatly increase Lightning Nova's damage. Because of this, Static Barrier and Static Field fit into this build well.
Lightning Nova BuildTalent calculator »
Lightning Nova focuses on Talents that improve Mephisto's most reliable Basic Ability. Furious Spark significantly increases Lightning Nova's damage, while Static Barrier provides a shield based on damage dealt via Lightning Nova. Trickery makes it much easier to keep Lightning Nova applied to enemies for maximum damage, but any of the Level 7 options can be very useful depending on the team compositions. At Level 13, Abhorred Skull can increase Mephisto's Spell Power, which increases damage dealt by all of his Abilities. By contrast, Hysteria will make your Heroic available much more often. Static Field greatly enhances the damage and effective area of Lightning Nova. Once Mephisto has Mimic, it becomes possible for him to completely reset the cooldowns of Lightning Nova and Shade of Mephisto. At this point, his Health and Mana are the only things limiting his ability to keep two Lightning Novas active throughout a team fight.
Mephisto's Synergies and Counters
Mephisto can be countered by Heroes who can quickly close into melee range, as they will avoid taking damage from Lightning Nova. The most effective counters will be able to survive some damage from Mephisto's teammates if they attempt to help him. Mephisto is not effective in melee range, and will not be able to protect himself in this situation. He will also not be able to escape, as Shade of Mephisto will return him to the location it is cast from.
Mephisto does well on maps that force teams to fight for objectives in confined areas. These maps make it very easy for him to land his Abilities on enemy Heroes. Mephisto may struggle on maps with wide open areas, where enemies can freely reposition to avoid a lot of Mephisto's damage. Mephisto is rather unremarkable with regard to his interaction with Battlegrounds. He is not capable of solo capturing Mercenary Camps efficiently, but he does have an acceptable amount of waveclear.
Mephisto's Tips and Tricks
- Remember that Lord Of Hatred will reduce your cooldowns when planning Ability use.
- Cast Skull Missile toward enemies with impaired mobility.
- Keep in mind that Lightning Nova's radius is the same as Mephisto's Basic Attack range.
- Carefully plan Shade of Mephisto use; you will return to the initial cast location after a short time.
- Consume Souls should be channelled from a safe distance, so that it can not be interrupted.
- Cast Durance of Hate toward enemy Heroes who cannot move, to ensure that it will land.
- Watch for opportunities to follow-up your allies.
Role in the Current Meta
Mephisto fits well into team compositions that are designed to wombo-combo, as most of his Abilities provide exceptional follow-up damage. He performs best with the assistance of his allies, and may struggle against strong duelists when solo-laning. Mephisto has an adequate capability to waveclear, but it is not strong enough for him to be drafted for that purpose.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Removed reference to Talent "Anger" which was removed in balance patch. Updated text on rebalanced Talents.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Removed reference to Talent "Anger" which was removed in balance patch.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (this page): Removed reference to Talent "Anger" which was removed in balance patch. Updated text on rebalanced Talents.
- 26 Nov. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion to reflect meta developments.
- 12 Sep. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent discussion to reflect meta developments.
- 04 Sep. 2018 (abilities page): Guide added.
- 04 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- BlizzCon Winning Cosplays Interview
- 2019 Ranked Season 3: No Mount Rewards
- Deathwing Patch Launch Delayed in EU
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: December 3rd
- Upcoming Heroes of the Storm AMA: December 5th
- Heroes of the Storm Cinematic Upscaled to 8K
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: December 3rd
- Deathwing Build Guide
- Heroes of the Storm Maiev
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Thrall
- looking for ranked team
- Heroes of the Storm Arthas
- Heroes of the Storm Malthael