Malfurion Build Guide “Nature will rise against you!”
Welcome to our guide for Malfurion, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Malfurion's Overview
Malfurion is a ranged Support Hero that specialises in highly efficient healing-over-time and strong debuffs. When paired with Heroes that can properly protect him and cover his damage deficiency, his healing is a natural way to sway any extensive battle in his favour.
2. Malfurion's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Malfurion's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Balanced BuildTalent calculator »
The Balanced Build seeks to provide Malfurion with a wide array of utility to complement and improve the reliability of his healing. It should be noted that many of the Talents we recommend for this Build can be changed depending on the situation at hand, as versatility defines Malfurion as a Hero. Refer to the Talents section of this guide for more information.
4. Malfurion's Synergies and Counters
Although not particularly vulnerable to any specific Hero himself, Malfurion tends to struggle against burst damage. His sub-par waveclear can also be problematic if your team composition does not make up for this weakness somewhere else.
5. Malfurion's Maps
Malfurion tends to do well on Maps that feature many choke points, thanks to Entangling Roots. His efficient nature as a healer is also particularly useful when contesting Map Objectives that might feature extended poking wars that never seem to escalate into actual team fights. In general, however, his versatility makes him a solid pick on most Maps, and team compositions should be the most important factor to consider when drafting Malfurion
6. Malfurion's Tips and Tricks
- Innervate on Mana-hungry Heroes, notably, casters such as Kael'thas or Jaina, who can not function without Mana.
- Keep Regrowth up on as many targets as possible, even if they are at full Health.
- Moonfire is useful for quickly checking Bushes, dismounting or revealing opponents, and clearing Zagara's Creep Tumors.
- Entangling Roots is much easier to land on targets that have already been crowd controlled.
- Keep your Tranquility for heated team fights, where several teammates may require healing.
- Twilight Dream is an excellent counter-initiating tool, especially against multiple melee Heroes.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Malfurion's very distinct Abilities make him a versatile healer. Although he lacks damage, he has several tools at his disposal that make him useful during all stages of the game. His trait, Innervate, has the unique ability to provide an allied Hero with additional Mana. Entangling Roots is one of the game's strongest follow-up crowd control Abilities around, and Moonfire is a cheap and reliable poke that temporarily reveals Stealthed entities.
Malfurion's main healing Abilities, Regrowth and Tranquility, have high raw healing outputs to make up for the fact that they do not instantly heal. Moonfire can situationally provide some burst healing, though this depends directly on the Malfurion player's skill level. This makes Malfurion a natural counter to team compositions that lack single-target burst damage. He is thus commonly picked against teams that run two or fewer Assassins, or as part of a composition that is resilient enough to survive large amounts of upfront burst damage.
- 28 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Talents and recommendations updated to reflect July 25 balance patch changes.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide fully updated to reflect the Malfurion rework of the Blaze patch.
- 09 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Guide fully updated to reflect the Malfurion rework of the Blaze patch.
- 29 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Removed the Moonburn Talent and added its Celestial Attunement replacement.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (this page): Updated strengths, weaknesses, and role in the current meta, following Malfurion's rework in Malthael's patch.
- 13 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Complete revamp of the page following Malfurion's rework in Malthael's patch.
- 26 Apr. 2017 (talents page): Made Scouting Drone situation (was previously not recommended).
- 13 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated and moved to the new format.
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: May 24th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 21st
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 14th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: May 17th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 14th
- US Senator Seeks to Ban Loot Boxes & Pay-to-Win Microtransactions
- Heroes of the Storm Garrosh
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Azmodan
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Potential Team Comp