Maiev Build Guide “The hunt awaits!”
Welcome to our guide for Maiev, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Maiev is an exceptionally resilient Assassin who excels at initiating and generally punishing mispositioned opponents. Since all of Maiev's Abilities can be counterplayed or otherwise misused in some way, precision and decisiveness are key to being the hunter, and not the hunted.
Maiev's Strengths and Weaknesses
Maiev's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
This standard build provides superior sustained damage. Key Fan of Knives-related Talents rovide you with powerful, continuous area of effect damage that force your opponents to spread out, reducing their effectiveness.
Maiev's Synergies and Counters
Maiev's relatively predictable game plan tends to be easily disrupted by crowd control and displacement effects. Certain Heroes also have little fear of being tethered, voiding a large portion of Maiev's utility.
Maiev's early game power and serviceable waveclear makes her a fair choice for most Maps. Team composition and general strategy are much more important factors when determining when to draft Maiev.
Maiev's Tips and Tricks
- It is often best to hold on to Fan of Knives's Cooldown to try and hit at least two Heroes than to use it at all, as its reset mechanic is very powerful.
- Using Umbral Bind against Minions or Structures can allow you to tether Heroes that are out of melee range.
- Recasting Spirit of Vengeance disjoints projectiles directly targeting Maiev.
- Containment Disc pierces Minions and Structures, and is particularly useful for denying strong Heroic Abilities or simply setting up.
- Vault of the Wardens allows you to pass through units, but not Structures nor terrain.
Role in the Current Meta
Maiev is a unique Assassin in that she provides an extremely reliable way of initiating, through the Spirit of Vengeance + Umbral Bind combo, at the cost of having a relatively situational damage output. Since Maiev does a mediocre job solo-laning and claiming Mercenary Camps, she is generally valued for her ability to set up for teammates using the aforementioned combo. In the early game, this means staying with teammates or roaming for gank opportunities. In later game phases, this means looking for opportunities to engage mispositioned opponents or peel for teammates.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Talent discussion and recommendations updated following patch v 2.45.1 changes.
- 30 May 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the February 9 balance patch changes.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Guide created.
- Everything We Know About Deathwing
- BlizzCon 2019 Schedule with a Many "Coming Soon" Slots
- Deathwing Reveal Trailer
- Deathwing Hero Leak
- Ad Leak Confirms Diablo IV Reveal at BlizzCon 2019
- Possible Leaks: Overwatch 2, Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remastered to Be Announced at BlizzCon?
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: October 18th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Gameplay Videos
- Heroes of the Storm Sgt. Hammer
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin