Maiev Build Guide “The hunt awaits!”
Welcome to our guide for Maiev, a Melee Assassin Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Maiev's Overview
Maiev is an exceptionally resilient Assassin who excels at initiating and generally punishing mispositioned opponents. Since all of Maiev's Abilities can be counterplayed or otherwise misused in some way, precision and decisiveness are key to being the hunter, and not the hunted.
2. Maiev's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Maiev's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Physical BuildTalent calculator »
The Physical Build seeks to maximise Maiev's damage output through several Talents that synergise to increase her physical damage. Key Talents include Blade Dance, which increases Maiev's area of effect physical damage output, Bonds of Corruption, which reduces Armor, and Armored Assault, which improves Maiev's physical damage sources. This build remains very adaptable, with several competitive alternative Talents that better suit certain playstyles and situations.
4. Maiev's Synergies and Counters
Maiev's relatively predictable game plan tends to be easily disrupted by crowd control and displacement effects. Certain Heroes also have little fear of being tethered, voiding a large portion of Maiev's utility.
5. Maiev's Maps
Maiev's early game power and serviceable waveclear makes her a fair choice for most Maps. Team composition and general strategy are much more important factors when determining when to draft Maiev.
6. Maiev's Tips and Tricks
- It is often best to hold on to Fan of Knives's Cooldown to try and hit at least two Heroes than to use it at all, as its reset mechanic is very powerful.
- Using Umbral Bind against Minions or Structures can allow you to tether Heroes that are out of melee range.
- Recasting Spirit of Vengeance disjoints projectiles directly targeting Maiev.
- Containment Disc pierces Minions and Structures, and is particularly useful for denying strong Heroic Abilities or simply setting up.
- Vault of the Wardens allows you to pass through units, but not Structures nor terrain.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Maiev is a unique Assassin in that she provides an extremely reliable way of initiating, through the Spirit of Vengeance + Umbral Bind combo, at the cost of having a relatively situational damage output. Since Maiev does a mediocre job solo-laning and claiming Mercenary Camps, she is generally valued for her ability to set up for teammates using the aforementioned combo. In the early game, this means staying with teammates or roaming for gank opportunities. In later game phases, this means looking for opportunities to engage mispositioned opponents or peel for teammates.
- 30 May 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the February 9 balance patch changes.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- Game Director Alan Dabiri Leaves Heroes Team
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- WTF Moments Episode 114
- Weekly Collection Update: October 16th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 12th
- Mal'Ganis Overview
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: October 8th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: October 10th
- Fever Clan Recruitment
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- whitemane - mana converstion burst heal guide. the nart build
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Was just told auriel is the worst healer in the game
- Im trying to start up a team to improve
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie