Maiev Build Guide “The hunt awaits!”
Welcome to our guide for Maiev, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Maiev is an exceptionally resilient Assassin who excels at initiating and generally punishing mispositioned opponents. Since all of Maiev's Abilities can be counterplayed or otherwise misused in some way, precision and decisiveness are key to being the hunter, and not the hunted.
Maiev's Strengths and Weaknesses
Maiev's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
This standard build provides superior sustained damage. Key Fan of Knives-related Talents rovide you with powerful, continuous area of effect damage that force your opponents to spread out, reducing their effectiveness.
Maiev's Synergies and Counters
Maiev's relatively predictable game plan tends to be easily disrupted by crowd control and displacement effects. Certain Heroes also have little fear of being tethered, voiding a large portion of Maiev's utility.
Maiev's early game power and serviceable waveclear makes her a fair choice for most Maps. Team composition and general strategy are much more important factors when determining when to draft Maiev.
Maiev's Tips and Tricks
- It is often best to hold on to Fan of Knives's Cooldown to try and hit at least two Heroes than to use it at all, as its reset mechanic is very powerful.
- Using Umbral Bind against Minions or Structures can allow you to tether Heroes that are out of melee range.
- Recasting Spirit of Vengeance disjoints projectiles directly targeting Maiev.
- Containment Disc pierces Minions and Structures, and is particularly useful for denying strong Heroic Abilities or simply setting up.
- Vault of the Wardens allows you to pass through units, but not Structures nor terrain.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: This Anomaly provides Maiev with excellent opportunities to catch and punish opponents who try to claim Experience Globes. She lacks the self-sustain to safely claim Globes herself, however, making the task better suited for other Heroes.
Maiev is a unique Assassin in that she provides an extremely reliable way of initiating, through the Spirit of Vengeance + Umbral Bind combo, at the cost of having a relatively situational damage output. Since Maiev does a mediocre job solo-laning and claiming Mercenary Camps, she is generally valued for her ability to set up for teammates using the aforementioned combo. In the early game, this means staying with teammates or roaming for gank opportunities. In later game phases, this means looking for opportunities to engage mispositioned opponents or peel for teammates.
- 27 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations updated following January 22 balance patch.
- 12 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Talent discussion and recommendations updated following patch v 2.45.1 changes.
- 30 May 2018 (talents page): Talent recommendations updated to better reflect metagame state.
- 09 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide updated to reflect the February 9 balance patch changes.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (this page): Guide created.
- 03 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Guide created.
- Heroic Deals: January 28th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 28th
- The Listening Game Podcast Interview with Kyle Dates
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Releases Today
- Diablo 1 Playable in 4K (The Hell 2 Mod)
- All Blizzard Esports To Be Streamed Exclusively on Youtube
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: January 24th
- 2019 Year in Review
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon