Chromie Build Guide “Your time's up!”
Welcome to our guide for Chromie, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Chromie's Overview
Chromie is a ranged Assassin with outstanding burst damage and poke potential. Her strong abilities allow her to inflict heavy burst damage onto her targets, while both of her Heroic Abilities provide her with decent crowd control during team fights. When playing Chromie, it is of utmost importance to anticipate your target's movement path, since both Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath come with a short delay. Ultimately, Chromie is a Hero that requires good game sense and quick reflexes in order to shine, however, if played well she is one of the most dangerous long range Assassins in the game.
2. Chromie's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Chromie's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Zone Control BuildTalent calculator »
The Bronze Talons Build focuses on talents that complement the second component of Chromie's passive ability. Draconic Barrage greatly increases the value you will get out of Bronze Talons. This build offers decent crowd control with Chrono Sickness and Slowing Sands, which should be used to zone out enemy melee Assassins and Warriors. If the enemy team consists of several squishy ranged Heroes, Temporal Loop becomes a useful alternative. Since Chromie does have a variety of great talents at her disposal, we strongly suggest reading the Talents page for more details.
Single Target BuildTalent calculator »
The Single Target Build's main focus is to eliminate an enemy Hero after trapping them with Temporal Loop. As such, talents that allow Chromie to amplify her burst damage, such as Timely Surprise (as it resets your Basic Abilities) and Dragon's Eye at Level 5. Sometimes it can be worth planting a Time Trap on top of the target that was caught by Temporal Loop to reset your abilities and execute them.
4. Chromie's Synergies and Counters
One of Chromie's favorite Supports has to be Malfurion. His Innervate Trait provides her with precious Mana regeneration and cooldown reduction, while his Regrowth allows Chromie to stay in battle for a long period of time. Heroes like Thrall or Johanna provide an abundance of crowd control, which can drastically enhance Chromie's overall combat performance.
Chromie struggles against two kinds of Heroes: the ones that are too beefy for her to take down quickly and the ones that are too fast for her to reliably land her Basic Abilities. As such, Heroes like Illidan or Tracer can become quite dangerous. To somewhat balance the odds in your favor against that type of Hero, we thoroughly recommend picking Draconic Barrage at Level 2 to dish out a surprising amount of reliable damage.
5. Chromie's Maps
Chromie performs decent on most maps with the exception of Battlefield of Eternity. On this battleground, Chromie's lack of sustained single target damage can cause your team to have a substantial disadvantage during Immortal battles. On Towers of Doom, on the other hand, her outstanding poke, which allows her to dominate Altars from afar, makes Chromie a force to be reckoned with.
6. Chromie's Tips and Tricks
- Sand Blast can only hit enemy Heroes, so do not be hesitant to aim it through Minion Waves and Structures.
- Time Trap freezes enemy Heroes for 2 seconds. Make sure to sync the 1-second delay of Sand Blast and 1.5-second delay of Dragon's Breath accordingly.
- When the Bronze Talons component of Timewalker is primed, make sure to deliver Basic Attacks whenever it is safe to do so.
- Slowing Sands is most efficient on narrow choke points.
- Do not be afraid to miss Sand Blast. It is better to cast this ability too often rather than to wait too long.
7. Chromie's Role in the Current Meta
Chromie requires decent positioning to make up for her lack of innate mobility. Ideally, she is put in a team with a strong frontline consisting of either one Warrior and one melee Assassin or, ideally, two Warriors. This will guarantee her enough protection to unleash her damaging abilities, notably Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath from a safe distance.
During team fights, good Chromie players always keep an eye on their target's movement path and aim their abilities accordingly. Both of her Heroic Abilities, Slowing Sands and Temporal Loop provide crucial crowd control effects to assist her in that regard. Chromie should keep a healthy distance between herself and the enemy team at all times, since her low health pool and limited mobility make her a priority target for enemy hard engage.
- 01 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents and builds.
- 13 Aug. 2018 (this page): Updated Chromie's abilities, talents, and recommended builds in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 13 Aug. 2018 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's abilities in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 12 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 21 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Sandblast's description in accordance with the latest balance update.
- 17 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Here and There was mistakenly marked (recommended, instead of not recommended).
- 16 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents in accordance with the Kel'Thuzad update.
- 15 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's abilities in accordance with the Kel'thuzad update.
- 17 Dec. 2016 (this page): Updated guide for Ragnaros patch and moved it to the new format.
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: March 22nd
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Upcoming Changes to Shards & Loot Boxes in Heroes of the Storm
- Heroic Deals: March 19th
- Chromie & Lucio Rework: A List of All Abilities & Talents
- Heroes Blue Posts: March 19th
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: March 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Update: Revamped Hero Roles
- Fever Clan is looking for more players!
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm Ana
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm Fenix
- Heroes of the Storm Tychus
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va