Chromie Build Guide “Your time's up!”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
Welcome to our Chromie guide for Heroes of the Storm. Here you will learn everything you need to know in order to play Chromie in a competitive environment, whether you play on your own or with a team.
About the Author
KendricSwissh is a Master League Warrior and Support player in Hero League. He has been playing Heroes of the Storm since the early stages of the Alpha version and has mastered a large number of Heroes. He is also creating Heroes of the Storm related content on YouTube, most notably his series called Epic Plays of the Week, which focuses on video clips submitted by his viewers. He is also a streamer on Twitch where he will gladly answer all of your questions about the game.
1. Quick Reference
Timewalker Build (talent calculator link)
The Timewalker Build is a fairly safe way to build Chromie. It offers decent damage amplification with talents such as Piercing Sands and Dragon's Eye, while also offering decent crowd control with Slowing Sands to zone out enemy melee Assassins and Warriors.
Maximum Safety Build (talent calculator link)
We recommend The Safety Build during games in which the enemy team composition features several hard engaging Assassins and Warriors like E.T.C., Zeratul, or Tracer who can dive deep into your team's backline. Bronze Talons, in particular, should never be underestimated, as its Basic Attack range increase adds a lot of safety, while its empowered Basic Attacks causes Chromie to accumulate a lot of extra damage over time.
Dragon's Breath Build (talent calculator link)
The Dragon's Breath Build turns Chromie into a deadly glasscannon. Deep Breathing lays the foundation for Dragon's Breath to hit really hard in the late game, especially if combined with Dragon's Eye at Level 7. In order to take down individual targets as quickly as possible, knowing how to execute Temporal Loop becomes crucial. In order to maximize your success rate with Temporal Loop, please refer to our Abilities section and practice its execution in "Try" mode, which can be found at the Heroes of the Storm ingame shop.
Synergies and Counters
One of Chromie's favorite Supports has to be Malfurion. His Innervate Trait provides her with precious Mana regeneration and cooldown reduction, while his Regrowth allows Chromie to stay in battle for a long period of time. Heroes like Thrall or Johanna provide an abundance of crowd control, which can drastically enhance Chromie's overall combat performance.
Chromie struggles against two kinds of Heroes: the ones that are too beefy for her to take down quickly and the ones that are too fast for her to reliably land her Basic Abilities. As such, Heroes like Illidan or Tracer can become quite dangerous. To somewhat balance the odds in your favor against that type of Hero, we thoroughly recommend picking Bronze Talons at Level 4 to dish out a surprising amount of reliable damage.
Chromie performs decent on most maps with the exception of Battlefield of Eternity. On this battleground, Chromie's lack of sustained single target damage can cause your team to have a substantial disadvantage during Immortal battles. On Towers of Doom, on the other hand, her outstanding poke, which allows her to dominate Altars from afar, makes Chromie a force to be reckoned with.
- Sand Blast can only hit enemy Heroes, so do not be hesitant to aim it through Minion Waves and Structures.
- Enemies cannot see where Dragon's Breath is going to land. Use this to your advantage and surprise them from unexpected angles.
- Time Trap freezes enemy Heroes for 3 seconds. Make sure to sync the 1-second delay of Sand Blast and 1.5-second delay of Dragon's Breath accordingly.
- Do not engage enemy Heroes while your abilities, especially Dragon's Breath, are on cooldown.
- Slowing Sands is most efficient on narrow choke points.
- Do not be afraid to miss Sand Blast. It is better to cast this ability too often rather than to wait too long.
- Bronze Talons is an incredibly effective talent against mobile Heroes like Tracer or Zeratul who are hard to hit with your Basic Abilities.
Chromie is a ranged Assassin with outstanding burst damage and poke potential. Her strong abilities allow her to inflict heavy burst damage onto her targets, while both of her Heroic Abilities provide her with decent crowd control during team fights. When playing Chromie, it is of utmost importance to anticipate your target's movement path, since both Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath come with a short delay. Ultimately, Chromie is a Hero that requires good game sense and quick reflexes in order to shine, however, if played well she is one of the most dangerous long range Assassins in the game.
- Outstanding poke
- Extremely long range
- Both Slowing Sands and Temporal Loop are viable Heroic Abilities
- High burst damage output
- Susceptible to crowd control
- Low health pool
- High learning curve
- Below average mobility
- Requires good positioning
5. Role in the Current Meta
Chromie requires decent positioning to make up for her lack of innate mobility. Ideally, she is put in a team with a strong frontline consisting of either one Warrior and one melee Assassin or, ideally, two Warriors. This will guarantee her enough protection to unleash her damaging abilities, notably Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath from a safe distance.
During team fights, good Chromie players always keep an eye on their target's movement path and aim their abilities accordingly. Both of her Heroic Abilities, Slowing Sands and Temporal Loop provide crucial crowd control effects to assist her in that regard. Chromie should keep a healthy distance between herself and the enemy team at all times, since her low health pool and limited mobility make her a priority target for enemy hard engage.
6. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Talent Build: a detailed rundown of your talents and how to choose them.
7. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 17 Dec. 2016 (this page): Updated guide for Ragnaros patch and moved it to the new format.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
- Possible Hero Framework for LEEROY JENKINS
- Heroes of the Storm Zarya
- Looking for a Cho'gall partner
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Random thoughts: Hero ability Keys
- Looking to create a team [NA]
- 2 Man Team sucht Leute für 5er ranked Team
- I exchange Jaina code for something else