Chromie Build Guide “Your time's up!”
Welcome to our guide for Chromie, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Chromie is a ranged Assassin with outstanding burst damage and poke potential. Her strong burst abilities allow her to inflict heavy damage onto her targets, while both of her Heroic Abilities provide her with decent crowd control during team fights. When playing Chromie, it is of utmost importance to anticipate your target's movement path, since both Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath come with a short delay. Ultimately, Chromie is a Hero that requires good game sense and quick reflexes in order to shine, however, if played well, she is one of the most dangerous long range Assassins in the game.
Chromie's Strengths and Weaknesses
Chromie's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
The Sand Blast Build is a well-rounded way to build Chromie. It combines strong single target damage with talents like Once Again the First Time at Level 1 and Shifting Sands at Level 14 and adds a little bit of much needed mobility with Gnome Speed Ahead! at Level 11. At Level 18, Piercing Sands marks a significant late game power spike for Chromie, allowing her to nuke down the enemy backline through their frontline.
Chromie's Synergies and Counters
One of Chromie's favorite Supports has to be Malfurion. His Innervate Trait provides her with precious Mana regeneration and cooldown reduction, while his Regrowth allows Chromie to stay in battle for a long period of time. Another Healer that works wonders with Chromie is Ana, whose Nano Boost greatly empowers Chromie's damage for a short period of time.
Chromie performs decent on most maps. Her current best maps are Volskaya Foundry and Braxis Holdout. This is due to the nature of the maps allowing her to poke into the objective zone. Chromie does not really have any weak maps as her poke is a threat on any map where there is an objective area both teams need to be on.
Chromie's Tips and Tricks
- Time Trap can sometimes be manually activated to prevent damage on allied Heroes as well.
- Slowing Sands is most efficient on narrow choke points, especially near Map Objectives.
- Do not be afraid to miss Sand Blast. It is better to cast this ability too often rather than to wait too long.
Chromie's Role in the Current Meta
Chromie requires decent positioning to make up for her lack of innate mobility. Ideally, she is put in a team with a strong frontline consisting of either one Warrior and one melee Assassin or, ideally, two Warriors. This will guarantee her enough protection to unleash her damaging abilities, notably Sand Blast and Dragon's Breath from a safe distance.
During team fights, good Chromie players always keep an eye on their target's movement path and aim their abilities accordingly. Both of her Heroic Abilities, Slowing Sands and Temporal Loop provide crucial crowd control effects to assist her in that regard. Chromie should keep a healthy distance between herself and the enemy team at all times, since her low health pool and limited mobility make her a priority target for enemy hard engage.
Chromie does not provide much for the current Anomaly, however, due to the enemy team having to soak XP orbs, Chromie is able to get some free hits in for her baseline quest, stacking it up much quicker which can quickly become handy in the maps she is currently good for.
- 05 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note regarding this seasons Anomaly.
- 04 Sep. 2019 (this page): Guide has been reviewed for latest patch and no changes are needed.
- 04 Sep. 2019 (talents page): Guide has been reviewed for latest patch and no changes are needed.
- 19 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated talent choices.
- 19 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's standard build.
- 29 Mar. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's abilities in accordance with the latest rework.
- 29 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Overhauled and updated Chromie's talents and talent builds in accordance with the latest rework. All hail the Blessing of the Bronze!
- 01 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents and builds.
- 13 Aug. 2018 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's abilities in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 13 Aug. 2018 (this page): Updated Chromie's abilities, talents, and recommended builds in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 12 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents in accordance with her rework in the Whitemane release patch.
- 21 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Sandblast's description in accordance with the latest balance update.
- 17 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Here and There was mistakenly marked (recommended, instead of not recommended).
- 16 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated Chromie's talents in accordance with the Kel'Thuzad update.
- 15 Sep. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Chromie's abilities in accordance with the Kel'thuzad update.
- 17 Dec. 2016 (this page): Updated guide for Ragnaros patch and moved it to the new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 14th
- Path of Diablo (2) Season 9 Brings a New Skill, Widescreen Support, Trade 2.0 and More
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 7th (Delayed)
- Deathwing Nerfs Coming in the Next Balance Patch
- Heroic Deals: January 7th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged and StarCraft 2 Join the ESL
- Diablo 2 Fan Remaster / Upscale Project
- The Listening Game Podcast: Cloaken Interviews Lana Bachynski
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Remember when Legendary skins were...well, Legendary?