D.Va Build Guide “I play to win!”
Welcome to our guide for D.Va, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
D.Va is a ranged bruiser who combines unique utility with reliable damage mitigation to provide her allies with a solid addition to the frontline. Her Trait is composed of two components, Mech Mode, which provides her with outstanding survivability and combat control, and Pilot Mode, which increases D.Va's damage but also renders her vulnerable to enemy attacks. Mastery of the interaction between the two is integral in achieving success with D.Va.
D.Va's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Mediocre waveclear
- Painfully slow movement while Boosters is on cooldown
- No base-line crowd-control aside from knockback of Boosters
- Susceptible to silences and crowd-control, especially while Defense Matrix is active
- Requires skills of two very different play styles (both frontline and backline depending on the Mode D.Va is in)
- Very hard learning curve
D.Va's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Pilot Mode BuildTalent calculator »
The Pilot Mode Build focuses on two primary talent options; Big Shot at Level 10 and Pew! Pew! Pew! at Level 20. Big Shot will provide D.Va an alternative means to generate the charge of Call Mech more quickly while giving her some nice poke damage while in Pilot Mode. Pew! Pew! Pew! further increases the strength of Big Shot both in terms of damage and utility as it can effectively triple the cooldown reduction component of Big Shot. Torpedo Dash was also chosen at Level 16 to give D.Va some much needed mobility while poking targets down with Big Shot in Pilot Mode.
Mech Mode BuildTalent calculator »
The Mech Mode Build focuses on Talents that will provide D.Va with additional strength when in Mech Mode in order to provide her team with the most utility and damage mitigation possible through the use of Defense Matrix. Pro Moves is chosen in order to further assist D.Va in tracking with the target of her Defense Matrix. At Level 10, we recommend both Heroic Abilities. Bunny Hop is an often underrated ability that can be used to peel for your allies in need or to lock down enemies trying to flee. Make sure to still respect enemy Assassins, however, as D.Va's Mech can be taken down quickly if she dives too far using Bunny Hop. On the other hand, Big Shot is never a bad choice, as it provides D.Va with utility and damage even if her Mech got destroyed. At Level 20, MEKAfall is a flashy talent that allows D.Va's Mech to be deployed from a larger distance, potentially surprising and flanking enemies from an unexpected angle.
D.Va's Synergies and Counters
D.Va should normally be drafted with a more suitable Tank who will better fit the role in terms of soaking damage and providing crowd-control. D.Va will also require a reliable Healer since she will most likely be taking significant amounts of damage while in the frontline of teamfights. Healers who also supply hard crowd-control pair exceptionally well with D.Va as they will be able to further lock down targets once D.Va has initiated onto them.
D.Va is countered by Heroes who are able to harass her at a distance with poke and reliable crowd-control. Silences and stuns quickly shut down the use of D.Va's Defense Matrix and can prevent D.Va from having time to summon a new Mech with Call Mech after it has been destroyed. Assassins with significant burst damage, especially True Damage like Tychus's Minigun, will be able to shut down her Mech rather quickly.
D.Va tends to perform best on small to medium sized Battlegrounds with lots of narrow choke-points and pathways. This type of Battleground will allow D.Va to flank and initiate onto players with her Boosters' knockback giving her allies an opportunity to capitalize on the targets unfavorable positioning. The choke-points will also allow D.Va to strike multiple targets with her AoE abilities such as Defense Matrix, Self-Destruct, Bunny Hop, and Big Shot. Extremely large Battlegrounds with spread out objectives that spawn simultaneously may prove difficult for D.Va as she relies solely on Boosters for her mobility. Should D.Va happen to find herself within a larger Battleground, Rush-down may be considered at Level 1 to help with map rotations.
D.Va's Tips and Tricks
- Boosters can be used to both initiate onto enemies or peel them away from vulnerable allies.
- Remember that Defense Matrix only affects enemy Heroes and will not reduce the damage of enemy Minions, Mercenaries, or Bosses.
- Many times it will be worth saving Defense Matrix for the enemy Assassins; this will provide D'Va's team with maximum damage mitigation.
- When possible, Self-Destruct should be used in conjunction with AoE crowd-control so that enemies will not be able to flee its damage radius.
- Try to strike multiple enemies with each cast of Big Shot in order to reduce the cooldown of Call Mech as quickly as possible.
Role in the Current Meta
Not much has changed for D.Va in the currently Anomaly. Due to her outdated kit and after not receiving any significant changes for a long time, she remains a very situational pick. She usually does not achieve anything other Heroes could not do better. However, in the hands of a dedicated and experienced player, she can be a surprisingly decent pick.
D.Va is a solid addition to team compositions that require a little more mass in the frontline. She provides her allies with larges amounts of utility and damage mitigation although players should shy away from drafting her as the main tank. D.Va seems to be best suiting in teams consisting of another frontline (preferably a Hero who can serve as the main Tank as previously mentioned), a solid Healer to keep her nice and fit, as well as a couple reliable Assassins who will be able to take down enemy Heroes while D.Va keeps them busy.
D.Va has relatively weak laning potential as her waveclear is lackluster and her self-sustain is non-existent. She begins to shine once team fights around Map Objectives start to erupt. Due to her lack of reliable crowd-control, it would be ideal if D.Va's allies could follow-up on her initiations with some hard lockdown in the form of roots or stuns. These stuns will also allow D.Va to more regularly land casts of Self-Destruct on her targets, as enemy Heroes will be inhibited from leaving the explosion radius.
- 09 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 07 Oct. 2019 (this page): Applied small updates to D.Va's introduction section.
- 07 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Updated D.Va's Talents and Talent Builds.
- 07 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Applied small updates to D.Va's Abilities page.
- 17 Oct. 2017 (talents page): Level 1 Talent Pro Moves duration has been increased to 1.5 seconds from 1.25 seconds.
- 08 Aug. 2017 (talents page): Level 4 Talent Diverting Power now slows D.Va by an additional 50% rather than self-rooting her for the duration of the cast.
- 07 Jun. 2017 (this page): Corrected error in the description of the way stacks are lost for the Level 1 Talent Pro Moves.
- 07 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Corrected error in the description of the way stacks are lost for the Level 1 Talent Pro Moves.
- 01 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Level 1 Talent Pro Moves duration has been increased to 1.25 seconds from 1 second.
- 01 Jun. 2017 (this page): Level 1 Talent Pro Moves duration has been increased to 1.25 seconds from 1 second.
- 01 Jun. 2017 (abilities page): Boosters cooldown has been reduced from 10 seconds to 9 seconds.
- 31 May 2017 (this page): Talent Build Page updated with full descriptions and discussion.
- 31 May 2017 (talents page): Talent Build Page updated with full descriptions and discussion.
- 16 May 2017 (this page): Added D.Va guide.
- Heroic Deals: February 18th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 18th
- Diablo Animated Series to Be Rendered in Anime Style
- Weekly Brawl - Silver City: February 13th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch: February 12th
- Heroic Deals: February 11th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: February 11th
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: February 7th
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- My vision Yrel for qm and non-high legaue.
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming