Nova Build Guide “Ready to have your mind blown?”
Welcome to our guide for Nova, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Nova's Overview
Nova is a Stealthed ranged damage dealer. Her strongest point is her exceptional long-ranged single-target burst damage. As a fragile Hero with no movement Ability, she must rely on deception and killing her foes before they can respond. Quick fingers and accurate shots go a long way to playing Nova and forcing opponents to play overly defensively.
2. Nova's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Nova's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Decoy BuildTalent calculator »
New to Nova? The Holo Decoy Build is for you. It revolves around improving Holo Decoy and your general ability to deal unavoidable damage. Key Talents include Holo Stability, which greatly increases Holo Decoy's duration and range to allow you to threaten vulnerable Heroes from afar, and Lethal Decoy, which allows Decoys to inflict a significant amount of damage. Rewind allows you to deal bold amounts of burst damage.
Snipe BuildTalent calculator »
Snipe Build revolves around improving the eponymous Ability to maximise Nova's burst damage potential. Although more difficult to play than Nova's other builds, its overall damage potential is higher in the hands of a skilled player.
One in The Chamber BuildTalent calculator »
One in the Chamber Build revolves around the idea of exploiting the eponymous Talent to maximise Nova's offensive utility and damage potential. This is achieved by weaving Basic Attacks in between every Ability cast. Since the build's effectiveness is a direct result of how many Abilities you are able to cast, its Talent choices provide Cooldown reduction or Charges, such as Rapid Projection, Double Tap, and Rewind. This build also provides aggressive utility for your teammates to capitalise upon through the aforementioned Double Tap Talent and Crippling Shot.
4. Nova's Synergies and Counters
As a ranged Assassin with little in the way of escaping, Nova players must rely on burst damage and long-ranged attacks to perform well. As such, she tends to struggle with anything that has a reliable means of mitigating damage for oneself or for allies or closing the gap to get up close and personal with her.
5. Nova's Maps
6. Nova's Tips and Tricks
- Practice often to acquire and maintain your Snipe accuracy. If you cannot reliably land Snipe, you cannot play Nova.
- Snipe stacks fall off only if you fail to hit anything at all, including Minions, Structures, and Mercenaries.
- Use Pinning Shot to make your Snipe and Precision Strike much easier to land.
- Holo Decoy is useful to to intercept dangerous skillshots.
- An opposing Keep is nearly destroyed, but your team cannot quite get to it? Try Precision Strike.
7. Role in the Current Meta
Nova's uniquely high ranged burst damage allows her to kill certain Heroes in a single successful Ability chain. She is also permanently Stealthed while out of combat, which makes tracking her position difficult. This deadly combination makes her a prime candidate for roaming. The psychological pressure caused by a Nova pick is evident in and of itself: while she is out of sight, opposing players tend to play more defensively, opening up windows of opportunities for your own teammates. She forces fragile Heroes to constantly have to consider their positioning in order to avoid her damage, which reduces their effectiveness.
Nova's binary nature of being outstanding versus fragile Heroes and subpar versus everything else, on top of her limited utility, makes her a niche Hero that is easily countered. She is therefore typically picked late into drafts to specifically punish compositions that rely on many fragile Heroes or lack instant defensive tools.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated Updated talent discussions following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent discussions following Stealth and Nova rework patches.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Updated page following Stealth and Nova rework patches.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated to account for the Stealth changes and Nova update patches.
- 27 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent discussions following the changes in Ana's patch.
- 06 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the Zul'jin patch and moved to the new format.
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: May 24th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 21st
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 21st
- Heroic Deals: May 14th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: May 17th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 14th
- US Senator Seeks to Ban Loot Boxes & Pay-to-Win Microtransactions
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Azmodan
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Potential Team Comp
- Heroes of the Storm Fenix
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters