Nova Build Guide “Ready to have your mind blown?”
Welcome to our guide for Nova, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Nova is a Stealthed ranged damage dealer. Her strongest point is her exceptional long-ranged single-target burst damage. As a fragile Hero with no movement Ability, she must rely on deception and killing her foes before they can respond. Quick fingers and accurate shots go a long way to playing Nova and forcing opponents to play overly defensively.
Nova's Strengths and Weaknesses
Nova's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard BuildTalent calculator »
Poke BuildTalent calculator »
Nova's Synergies and Counters
As a ranged Assassin with little in the way of escaping, Nova players must rely on burst damage and long-ranged attacks to perform well. As such, she tends to struggle with anything that has a reliable means of mitigating damage for oneself or for allies or closing the gap to get up close and personal with her.
Nova's Tips and Tricks
- Practice often to acquire and maintain your Snipe accuracy. If you cannot reliably land Snipe, you cannot play Nova.
- Snipe stacks fall off only if you fail to hit anything at all, including Minions, Structures, and Mercenaries.
- Use Pinning Shot to make your Snipe and Precision Strike much easier to land.
- Holo Decoy is useful to to intercept dangerous skillshots.
- An opposing Keep is nearly destroyed, but your team cannot quite get to it? Try Precision Strike.
Role in the Current Meta
Nova's uniquely high ranged burst damage allows her to kill certain Heroes in a single successful Ability chain. She is also permanently Stealthed while out of combat, which makes tracking her position difficult. This deadly combination makes her a prime candidate for roaming. The psychological pressure caused by a Nova pick is evident in and of itself: while she is out of sight, opposing players tend to play more defensively, opening up windows of opportunities for your own teammates. She forces fragile Heroes to constantly have to consider their positioning in order to avoid her damage, which reduces their effectiveness.
Nova's binary nature of being outstanding versus fragile Heroes and subpar versus everything else, on top of her limited utility, makes her a niche Hero that is easily countered. She is therefore typically picked late into drafts to specifically punish compositions that rely on many fragile Heroes or lack instant defensive tools.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 03 Dec. 2018 (talents page): Updated Updated talent discussions following patch v2.40.1 changes.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent discussions following Stealth and Nova rework patches.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated to account for the Stealth changes and Nova update patches.
- 16 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Updated page following Stealth and Nova rework patches.
- 27 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent discussions following the changes in Ana's patch.
- 06 Jan. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for the Zul'jin patch and moved to the new format.
- Introducing Mastery Rings
- Heroic Deals: October 15th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: October 15th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters