Tyrael Build Guide “I am Justice itself!”
Welcome to our guide for Tyrael, a Melee Warrior Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Tyrael's Overview
Tyrael is a melee Warrior Hero, whose great mobility allows him to get in and out of combat very quickly. He is capable of initiating team fights and isolating enemy targets, which makes him an ideal pick especially for aggressive team compositions. Due to his powerful protective qualities, he can also be played defensively, making him a potent choice to peel for Heroes in the backline.
2. Tyrael's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Rather weak as solo Warrior
- Extremely Mana dependent throughout the game
- Successfully initiating team fights does require some experience
- Only fits into a limited amount of team compositions
3. Tyrael's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
The Bruiser Build focuses more on Tyrael's offensive capabilities and is a recommended choice if your team already has a dedicated Tank. Picking Judgment at Level 10 over Sanctification allows Tyrael to dive deep into the enemy team's backline, ideally picking and isolating a low health priority target.
Tank BuildTalent calculator »
The Tank Build aims to make Tyrael as resilient as possible in order to allow him to hold the frontline without dying too quickly. It is important to highlight that Tyrael does not have Stun or Root abilities, which means his zoning potential is limited compared to other Warriors. However, numerous defensive talents like Stalwart Angel and Defense of the Angels make him very hard to kill and cause Tyrael to become a thorn in the enemy team's side.
4. Tyrael's Synergies and Counters
In order to unleash Tyrael's full potential, we strongly recommend having another Warrior at his side. As such, E.T.C's strong crowd control and mobility make him an ideal match. The protection and mobility from Tyrael's Righteousness and Smite abilities synergize very well with melee Assassins in general, which is why Tyrael pairs very well with Illidan or Kerrigan.
5. Tyrael's Maps
Due to his great talent flexibility, Tyrael performs well on most maps. On battlegrounds such as Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple, or Towers of Doom, however, he truly excels due to the late-game impact that comes with his Holy Ground talent. This talent allows him to steal Mercenary and, more importantly, Boss Camps by placing his El'druin's Might ability in the very center of the capturing platform.
6. Tyrael's Tips and Tricks
- Use your abilities wisely while laning. If you are not careful, Tyrael will run out of Mana very quickly.
- Since Tyrael is not as durable as other Tanks, make sure to use his outstanding mobility to mitigate damage by dodging abilities.
- El'druin's Might can be used to juke opponents while Tyrael is on the retreat.
- If you play with Sanctification, save it for the enemy team's most dangerious abilities and track their cooldowns accordingly.
- Tyrael's Holy Ground can steal Mercenary and Boss Camps if its projectile is aimed at the very center of the capture platform.
7. Tyrael's Role In The Current Meta
Tyrael's greatest strength is to start team fights by picking a single enemy target and exposing it to the rest of his team. He is the embodiment of aggressive team fight initiation, thanks to his Judgment Heroic Ability. However, Tyrael can do more than just charging deep into the enemy ranks, especially with his second Heroic Ability, called Sanctification, which allows him to protect nearby allied Heroes very efficiently. Righteousness enables him to shield himself and his allies from incoming damage, Smite increases his team's movement speed, while El'druin's Might helps Tyrael to set up ganks or execute last-minute escapes. Depending on the kind of Warrior your team is looking for, Tyrael is able to adjust his talent build and playstyle accordingly, which makes him a very versatile and enjoyable Hero to play.
Tyrael's role as a frontlining initiator makes him a very good pick versus enemy Heroes who lack escape mechanisms, such as Malfurion or Jaina. His ability to capture Mercenary and Boss Camps from a large distance using his Holy Ground makes him a strong pick on maps like Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple, or Warhead Junction.
- 19 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Changed Law and Order from Not Recommended to Recommended, Sword of Justice from Recommended to Not Recommended, and Smite the Wicked from Not Recommended to Situational.
- 07 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Updated Stalwart Angel's description in accordance with the Maiev update.
- 17 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Tyrael's talents in accordance with his latest rework.
- 17 Jan. 2018 (abilities page): Adjusted Tyrael's abilities in accordance with his latest rework.
- 17 Mar. 2017 (this page): Updated the guide for Probius' patch.
- 17 Jan. 2017 (this page): Updated Tyrael's introduction in accordance with his latest rework.
- 21 Dec. 2016 (this page): Moved Tyrael to the new guide format.
- Orphea Comic
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: November 13th
- BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal Press Conference Recap
- Orphea Talent Calculator Now Live
- Activision Blizzard Q3 2018 Earnings Call
- Weekly Brawl - Trial Grounds: November 9th
- Heroes of the Storm Post-BlizzCon 2018 Developer AMA Recap
- Tempo Storm BlizzCon 2018 Interview
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan