Alexstrasza Build Guide “Witness the power of the red dragonflight!”
Welcome to our guide for Alexstrasza, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Alexstrasza is a ranged Healer who provides both utility, such as Movement Speed buffs and debuffs, and raw healing power. If Alexstrasza finds her allies or herself in a dangerous situation, she can transform into a powerful Dragon and have all of her Basic Abilities reset and empowered for a short period of time.
Alexstrasza's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Underwhelming waveclear
- Dragonqueen is strong but comes with a long cooldown
- Limited self-healing capabilities
- Underwhelming mobility
Alexstrasza's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Single Target Heal BuildTalent calculator »
The Single Target Heal Build provides you with great control and timing when it comes to healing individual allies. The various talents possess great synergy, which makes this Build very fluent to play. The first crucial power spike hits at Level 7, when Lifeblossom becomes available. This talent allows Alexstrasza to keep healing without losing health herself, however, be careful not to overextend just to pick up the Blossom. If Alexstrasza happens to get focused a lot by nimble enemy Assassins or Bruisers, however, Fire Within can be a viable alternative choice. At Level 13, Pacify can be picked instead of Life Unbound if the enemy team features burst heavy Assassins. At Level 16, Tough Love can be a great choice if you notice certain allies getting focused very hard by the enemy team.
Flame BuildTalent calculator »
The Flame Build makes Alexstrasza surprisingly resilient to enemy pressure and damage. Focusing on strong synergetic talents such as Flames of Fury at Level 1, Heat Exhaustion at Level 4, and Fire Within at Level 7 still leaves her with enough healing output to keep her allies alive. Since the goal of this build is to spread Flame Buffet as much as possible, we usually prefer Life-Binder over Cleansing Flame at Level 10.
Combining Flames of Fury's cooldown reduction on Dragonqueen makes Draconic Discipline at Level 16 even more rewarding than it already is. At Level 20, Ancient Flame works very well with the previous Flame Buffet talents.
Abundance BuildTalent calculator »
The Abundance Build focuses on AoE healing and synergizes particularly well with Heroes that benefit from Regeneration Globes in some way like Diablo, for instance. These Heroes can get great value from the completed Quest bonus granted by Circle of Life. However, this Build is quite susceptible to enemy AoE damage and crowd control. Thus, make sure to place Abundance carefully to prevent allies from taking more damage than Abundance can heal. At Level 7, Verdant Flourish can be replaced by Fire Within if Alexstrasza happens to get focused a lot by nimble enemy Assassins or Bruisers.
Alexstrasza's Synergies and Counters
Alexstrasza has an affinity for high health allies thanks to her Life-Binder Heroic Ability and Life Unbound at Level 13. Both of those tools can unfold great value if used on Heroes such as Cho'gall, Muradin, or Diablo who will gain a massive amount of health as long as Alexstrasza herself remains untouched. Other than that, Alexstrasza's kit is very neutral, which means she can be picked into almost any team composition.
Alexstrasza struggles against foes with exceptional mobility. These Heroes will have an easy time chasing her down, since she lacks disengage while she is not in her Dragonqueen form. Furthermore, anti-healing abilities can greatly reduce the efficiency of her Abundance, so Heroes like Ana can be a real thorn in her side. Ultimately, it is important to check how much AoE damage the enemy team has available as well. Heroes like Junkrat, for instance, can heavily punish a group of allies who gather around Alexstrasza's Abundance.
Alexstrasza is very powerful on maps that feature static Map Objectives, such as Alterac Pass, Infernal Shrines or Sky Temple. On those maps, Dragonqueen can unfold its full potential by zoning out enemy Heroes and healing the majority of her allies thanks to Preservation. Due to her limited waveclear capabilities, she is heavily reliant on other Heroes, notably Assassins and Specialists, to keep allied Structures safe.
Alexstrasza's Tips and Tricks
- Dragonqueen's duration does not get affected by using Cleansing Flame, which means you can use the Heroic Ability and come back in Dragon Form for the remainder of Dragonqueen's duration.
- Dragonqueen should be treated like a Heroic Ability. Make sure to use it during Objectives and important team fights exclusively and do not waste the long cooldown during skirmishes and duels.
- Dragonqueen empowers Alexstrasza's Heroic Abilities. While in Dragon Form, Cleansing Flame gets casted immediately and Life-Binder's casting range is increased.
- Wing Buffet, which can be used during Dragonqueen, is an excellent disengage ability. Use it when opposing Warriors and melee Assassins are threatening your backline.
- Cleansing Flame is an incredibly versatile Heroic Ability. Keep in mind that it can also be used as an escape mechanism while surrounded by multiple enemies.
Alexstrasza's Role in the Current Meta
As most Healers, Alexstrasza is not really impacted by the introduction of Experience Globe Anomaly, as it is usually not the responsibility of the Healer to pick them up in the first place. However, her Dragonqueen still remains a formidable ability to secure Map Objectives, which in return causes the enemy team to lose experience and control over the map.
Alexstrasza is usually played as a solo Healer and and shines on maps with static Map Objectices, such as Infernal Shrines or Sky Temple due to the early game power of Dragonqueen. Regardless of whether you go for a more aggressive Talent Build or a more defensive one, Alexstrasza's playstyle always requires a keen eye and precise timing. Health management, in particular, becomes crucial when playing Alexstrasza, because Gift of Life loses a lot of its value if used too frequently.
Knowing when to use Alexstrasza's Dragonqueen form requires a bit of experience. It is usually a good choice to wait until a major team fight, near a Map Objective for instance, breaks out and then use her Trait. We strongly advise not to use it in a mere skirmish or lane duel even if it means Alexstrasza's (or an ally's) death. Dragonqueen's cooldown is usually longer than a Hero's death timer, especially in the early stages of the game, so saving the Trait for an important moment instead of wasting it just to survive can often prove to be more efficient choice.
- 06 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 25 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Revised Alexstrasza's guide and added the Flame Build. Also updated her talents in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Applied some minor updates to Alexstrasza's ability descriptions.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed Fire Within from Not Recommended to Situational and also updated Alexstrasza's talent builds accordingly.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Flame Buffet's description.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (this page): Updated Alexstrasza's introduction text.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Life-Binder from Situational to Recommended and applied additional changes to Alexstrasza's Talent Builds.
- 15 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Changed Blessing of the Red from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 19 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Added the Abundance Build and deleted the Flame Build. Updated Alexstrasza's talents accordingly.
- 12 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Added in-depth talent descriptions and changed various talents in terms of their viability.
- 05 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Changed Life-Binder with Cleansing Flame in the Heal build.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (this page): Added a new TL;DR tip featuring the interaction between Dragonqueen and Cleansing Flame.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Draconic Discipline from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Cleansing Flames' description.
- 14 Nov. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 14th
- Path of Diablo (2) Season 9 Brings a New Skill, Widescreen Support, Trade 2.0 and More
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 7th (Delayed)
- Deathwing Nerfs Coming in the Next Balance Patch
- Heroic Deals: January 7th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged and StarCraft 2 Join the ESL
- Diablo 2 Fan Remaster / Upscale Project
- The Listening Game Podcast: Cloaken Interviews Lana Bachynski
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Remember when Legendary skins were...well, Legendary?