Alexstrasza Build Guide “Witness the power of the red dragonflight!”
Welcome to our guide for Alexstrasza, a Ranged Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Alexstrasza's Overview
Alexstrasza is a ranged Support Hero, who also fulfills the role of a Healer, which means she provides both utility, such as Movement Speed buffs and debuffs, and raw healing power. If Alexstrasza finds her allies or herself in a dangerous situation, she can transform into a powerful Dragon and have all of her Basic Abilities empowered for a short period of time.
2. Alexstrasza's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Good range
- Relatively low Mana consumption
- Both Heroic Abilities are viable
- Dragonqueen provides powerful buffs to all of her Basic Abilities
- Underwhelming waveclear
- Dragonqueen is strong but comes with a long cooldown
- Limited self-healing capabilities
3. Alexstrasza's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Abundance BuildTalent calculator »
The Abundance Build focuses on AoE healing and synergizes particularly well with Heroes that benefit from Regeneration Globes in some way like Diablo, for instance. These Heroes can get great value from the completed Quest bonus granted by Circle of Life. However, this Build is quite susceptible to enemy AoE damage and crowd control. Thus, make sure to place Abundance carefully to prevent allies from taking more damage than Abundance can heal.
Heal BuildTalent calculator »
The Heal Build is a great choice if you are the only Support on your team. The various talents possess great synergy, which makes this Build very fluent to play. The first crucial power spike hits at Level 7, when Lifeblossom becomes available. This talent allows Alexstrasza to keep healing without losing health herself. At Level 13, Pacify can be picked instead of Life Unbound if the enemy team features burst heavy Assassins. At Level 16, Overprotective can be a great choice if you face strong AoE damage.
4. Alexstrasza's Synergies and Counters
Alexstrasza has an affinity for high health allies thanks to her Life-Binder Heroic Ability and Life Unbound at Level 13. Both of those tools can unfold great value if used on Heroes such as Cho'gall, Muradin, or Diablo who will gain a massive amount of health as long as Alexstrasza herself remains untouched. Paired in a double Support composition, Ana becomes a nice addition to Alexstrasza due to Ana's capabilities of boosting her healing output quite significantly.
Alexstrasza struggles against foes with exceptional mobility. These Heroes will have an easy time chasing her down, since she lacks disengage while she is not in her Dragonqueen form.
5. Alexstrasza's Maps
Alexstrasza is very powerful on maps that feature static Map Objectives, such as Infernal Shrines or Towers of Doom. On those maps, Dragonqueen can unfold its full potential by zoning out enemy Heroes and healing the majority of her allies thanks to Preservation. Due to her limited waveclear capabilities, she is heavily reliant on other Heroes, notably Assassins and Specialists, to keep allied Structures safe.
6. Alexstrasza's Tips and Tricks
- Dragonqueen's duration does not get affected by using Cleansing Flame, which means you can use the Heroic Ability and come back in Dragon Form for the remainder of Dragonqueen's duration.
- Dragonqueen should be treated like a Heroic Ability. Make sure to use it during important team fights exclusively and do not waste the long cooldown during skirmishes and duels.
- Wing Buffet, which can be used during Dragonqueen, is an excellent disengage ability. Use it when opposing Warriors and melee Assassins are threatening your backline.
- Cleansing Flame is an incredibly versatile Heroic Ability. Keep in mind that it can also be used as an escape mechanism while surrounded by multiple enemies.
- Draft wise, Alexstrasza can fulfill the role of either a main Support or a second Support.
7. Alexstrasza's Role in the Current Meta
Alexstrasza can be played as a solo Support or as a secondary Support, which makes her a very flexible choice in most Hero drafts. Regardless of whether you go for a more aggressive Talent Build or a more defensive one, Alexstrasza's playstyle always requires a keen eye and precise timing. Health management, in particular, becomes crucial when playing Alexstrasza, because Gift of Life loses a lot of its value if used too frequently.
Knowing when to use Alexstrasza's Dragonqueen form requires a bit of experience. It is usually a good choice to wait until a major team fight, near a Map Objective for instance, breaks out and then use her Trait. We strongly advise not to use it in a mere skirmish or lane duel even if it means Alexstrasza's death. Dragonqueen's cooldown is usually longer than her own death timer, especially in the early stages of the game, so saving the Trait for an important moment instead of wasting it just to survive can often prove to be more efficient choice.
- 15 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Changed Blessing of the Red from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 19 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Added the Abundance Build and deleted the Flame Build. Updated Alexstrasza's talents accordingly.
- 12 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Added in-depth talent descriptions and changed various talents in terms of their viability.
- 05 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Changed Life-Binder with Cleansing Flame in the Heal build.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Draconic Discipline from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (this page): Added a new TL;DR tip featuring the interaction between Dragonqueen and Cleansing Flame.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Cleansing Flames' description.
- 14 Nov. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza
- Heroes of the Storm Artanis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Glossary