Alexstrasza Build Guide “Witness the power of the red dragonflight!”
Welcome to our guide for Alexstrasza, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Alexstrasza is a ranged Healer who provides both utility, such as Movement Speed buffs and debuffs, and raw healing power. If Alexstrasza finds her allies or herself in a dangerous situation, she can transform into a powerful Dragon and have all of her Basic Abilities reset and empowered for a short period of time.
Alexstrasza's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Underwhelming waveclear
- Dragonqueen is strong but comes with a long cooldown
- Limited self-healing capabilities
- Underwhelming mobility
Alexstrasza's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Gift of Life BuildTalent calculator »
Abundance BuildTalent calculator »
Alexstrasza's Abundance Build focuses on area of effect healing and synergizes with Heroes that benefit from Regeneration Globes in some way (such as Diablo) thanks to Circle of Life at Level 1. As you are focusing all the Talents on Abundance, this Build is susceptible to enemy area of effect damage and crowd control.
Alexstrasza's Synergies and Counters
Alexstrasza has an affinity for high health allies thanks to her Life-Binder Heroic Ability and Life Unbound at Level 13. Both of those tools can unfold great value if used on Heroes such as Cho'gall, Muradin, or Diablo who will gain a massive amount of health as long as Alexstrasza herself remains untouched. Other than that, Alexstrasza's kit is very neutral, which means she can be picked into almost any team composition.
Alexstrasza struggles against foes with exceptional mobility. These Heroes will have an easy time chasing her down, since she lacks disengage while she is not in her Dragonqueen form. Furthermore, anti-healing abilities can greatly reduce the efficiency of her Abundance, so Heroes like Ana can be a real thorn in her side. Ultimately, it is important to check how much AoE damage the enemy team has available as well. Heroes like Junkrat, for instance, can heavily punish a group of allies who gather around Alexstrasza's Abundance.
Alexstrasza is only playable Maps featuring static Objectives with a long cooldown and a single location because Dragonqueen can unfold its full potential for a team fight that, if won, will directly translate to taking down a Fort or even a Keep.
Alexstrasza's Tips and Tricks
- Dragonqueen's duration does not get affected by using Cleansing Flame, which means you can use the Heroic Ability and come back in Dragon Form for the remainder of Dragonqueen's duration.
- Dragonqueen should be treated like a Heroic Ability. Make sure to use it during Objectives and important team fights exclusively and do not waste the long cooldown during skirmishes and duels.
- Dragonqueen empowers Alexstrasza's Heroic Abilities. While in Dragon Form, Cleansing Flame gets casted immediately and Life-Binder's casting range is increased.
- Wing Buffet, which can be used during Dragonqueen, is an excellent disengage ability. Use it when opposing Warriors and melee Assassins are threatening your backline.
- Cleansing Flame is an incredibly versatile Heroic Ability. Keep in mind that it can also be used as an escape mechanism while surrounded by multiple enemies.
Alexstrasza's Role in the Current Meta
Alexstrasza is usually played as a solo Healer and and shines on maps with static Map Objectices, such as Infernal Shrines or Sky Temple due to the early game power of Dragonqueen. Regardless of whether you go for a more aggressive Talent Build or a more defensive one, Alexstrasza's playstyle always requires a keen eye and precise timing. Health management, in particular, becomes crucial when playing Alexstrasza, because Gift of Life loses a lot of its value if used too frequently.
Knowing when to use Alexstrasza's Dragonqueen form requires a bit of experience. It is usually a good choice to wait until a major team fight, near a Map Objective for instance, breaks out and then use her Trait. Do not waste Dragonqueen for a skirmish or lane duel, even if it means Alexstrasza or an allied Hero will die, but keep it for big team fights that will allow your team to either win the Objective or to push really hard immediately after. Dragonqueen's cooldown is usually longer than a Hero's death timer, especially in the early stages of the game, so saving the Trait for an important moment instead of wasting it just to survive can often prove to be more efficient choice.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 06 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 25 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Revised Alexstrasza's guide and added the Flame Build. Also updated her talents in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Applied some minor updates to Alexstrasza's ability descriptions.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed Fire Within from Not Recommended to Situational and also updated Alexstrasza's talent builds accordingly.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Flame Buffet's description.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (this page): Updated Alexstrasza's introduction text.
- 31 Jan. 2019 (talents page): Changed Life-Binder from Situational to Recommended and applied additional changes to Alexstrasza's Talent Builds.
- 15 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Changed Blessing of the Red from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 19 Feb. 2018 (talents page): Added the Abundance Build and deleted the Flame Build. Updated Alexstrasza's talents accordingly.
- 12 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Added in-depth talent descriptions and changed various talents in terms of their viability.
- 05 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Changed Life-Binder with Cleansing Flame in the Heal build.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (this page): Added a new TL;DR tip featuring the interaction between Dragonqueen and Cleansing Flame.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (abilities page): Updated Cleansing Flames' description.
- 23 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Draconic Discipline from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 14 Nov. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: April 6th
- New Heroes of the Storm Teaser: April 5th
- 25 Years of Warcraft Anniversary Video 8K Upscale
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- Weekly Brawl - Braxis Outpost: April 3rd
- Heroes of the Storm April Fools PTR Patch Notes
- Heroic Deals: April 1st
- All Heroes Remain Free to Play Through April 13th
- Immortal Kings Call HELP needed
- Heroes of the Storm The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm Kharazim
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Heroes of the Storm Kael'thas
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Illidan
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul