Samuro Build Guide “My humble skills are yours.”
Welcome to our guide for Samuro, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Samuro is a Melee Assassin who can Stealth and create Images of himself on demand. His Mirror Images can confuse his enemies, causing them to waste resources and cooldowns. Samuro is an excellent Offlaner (Solo-Laner), Split-pusher, and excels at capturing Mercenary camps.
Samuro's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Weak early game
- Images can help enemies complete Quests
- Vulnerable if Revealed
- Samuro can confuse his Teammates
Samuro's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Wind Walk BuildTalent calculator »
The Wind Walk build focuses on Talents that increase Wind Walk's utility. This helps Samuro get into and out of melee range, where Samuro deals all of his meaningful damage. This build is a great starting point for players new to Samuro, and can perform well at all levels of play.
Burning Blade helps you clear Minions and Mercenaries effectively, and still increases Samuro's Hero damage quite a lot. At Level 1, you can take Way of the Blade if you plan to focus heavily on PvE. At Level 16, you hit a huge power spike which gives you kill potential against many Heroes in the game, even when they are at full health. This is accomplished by applying Harsh Winds with a stored Critical Strike, activating Critical Strike immediately after in order to reset your Basic Attack, and then using Blade Storm while you still have extra movement speed from Wind Walk. Shukuchi makes it possible to close into melee range very quickly in order to deliver your lethal combo. Wind Strider allows you to benefit from most of your other Talents much more often.
Illusion Master BuildTalent calculator »
The Illusion Master build focuses on Talents that increase the damage, durability, and frequency of Mirror Images. Builds are usually ordered by effectiveness, with the best build for the current meta at the top. Samuro is an exception. Although Illusion Master is very strong, it is so much harder to use that we recommend a more accessible build for beginners first. Both builds can perform well at any rank, but they do play quite differently. Illusion Master adds a significant layer of complexity, as it enables the player to control 3 units at the same time. This build is recommended for players who are already comfortable with Samuro's other mechanics.
Way of the Blade increases the damage that Samuro and his Mirror Images deal. Mirage and Deflection can both be good at Level 4, depending on what type of damage the enemy team has access to. AoE damage that enemy Heroes will use to quickly dispatch your Images will usually be from Ability Damage, which is why Mirage is recommended as a baseline. However, Deflection can help your Images tank more tower shots when you dive Heroes under structures. You can have 2 active Images quite often thanks to Illusion Master and Kawarimi, so Phantom Pain works very well with this build. At Level 16, Press the Attack greatly increases the threat of your Images to enemy Heroes. Images created with Kawarimi will continue to execute whatever command Samuro was given prior to its cast. This can be used to create Images that will chase enemy Heroes, and works quite well with Press the Attack.
Samuro's Synergies and Counters
Samuro does very well on maps that have many Mercenary camps, as well as diverse pathing options to and away from them. His single target sustained damage is very high, which he can use to help his team quickly clear bosses and similar map objectives.
Samuro's Tips and Tricks
- Use Mirror Image to tank tower shots while ganking, or to damage structures without a friendly minion wave.
- Critical Strike resets your Basic Attacks; activate it immediately after delivering a Basic Attack for optimal effect.
- Wind Walk can be used to quickly approach enemies, or to help you escape dangerous situations.
- Use Bladestorm to kill low Health enemies who may otherwise be protected by crowd control provided by thier allies.
- The Movement Speed provided by Image Transmission can be used not only to chase, but to dodge or to disengage from combat as well.
- Activate Image Transmission to engage on a Hero near one of your Images, or to reposition to safety when you are in danger.
- Mirror Image can be used to heal in an unconventional way. Hold Left-Shift and cast Image Transmission on a Mirror Image while channeling Hearthstone. If the Mirror Image is still alive when Hearthstone's channel completes, you will instantly return to lane with the health restoration provided by the Hall of Storms.
Samuro's Role in the Current Meta
Samuro fits well into team compositions that need a Melee Offlane (Sololane) Assassin who can also clear Mercenary Camps efficiently. Samuro can be a liability against certain Heroes because his Images can help enemies to quickly finish quests, or farm resources like Energy. He struggles against low cooldown AoE harassment while in lane, and should avoid laning against Heroes who are capable of this. While not without weakness, he can be incredibly oppressive to the enemy team in ideal situations.
The current Nexus Anomaly heavily favours Heroes who can safely and efficiently collect the Experience Globes dropped by slain minions. Typically, this will be Heroes with a strong lane presence and good waveclear. Samuro deals damage from melee and his Mirror Images can collect Experience Globes; his gameplay will remain largely unchanged by this Anomaly.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Recommended builds and Talents udpated to reflect current meta.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (this page): Recommended builds and Talents udpated to reflect current meta.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Updated abilities section.
- 04 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect current meta.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect Samuro's rework and general changes to the Stealth mechanic.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Abilities section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 20 Nov. 2016 (this page): Guide added.
- Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: March 27th
- Diablo Community Manager Nevalistis Leaves Blizzard
- Lady Vashj Hype is Over For Now
- Heroic Deals: March 24th
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- 2020 Ranked Season 1 Extended By Two Weeks
- All Heroes Free to Play Until April 2nd
- Heroes of the Storm Kharazim
- Heroes of the Storm Kerrigan
- Heroes of the Storm Kael'thas
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Illidan
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- burst thrall