Samuro Build Guide “My humble skills are yours.”
Welcome to our guide for Samuro, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Samuro is a Melee Assassin who can Stealth and create Images of himself on demand. His Mirror Images can confuse his enemies, causing them to waste resources and cooldowns. Samuro is an excellent solo laner. With proper micro, his clones become a great nuisance for the enemy team, while Samuro will shred through any target.
Samuro's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Has very good DPS if he is free to hit
- Has 2 different cleanses for DoTs or debuffs
- Can tank many skillshots with clones
- Can quickly clear Minions, Mercenaries or Monsters with Bladestorm
- Has a very high skill ceiling
- Can distract and confuse enemy Heroes with Illusion Master
- Easily escape from any gank attempts
- Has great self-sustain by using the Hearth Trick
Samuro's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Wind Storm BuildRecommended
The Bladestorm build is excellent to enhance Samuro's macro. It has Way of the Wind (greatly increases Samuro's sustain and rotation speed), Burning Blade (enhances Samuro's waveclear), and Bladestorm (can be used to clear a wave instantly). Further, it also focuses on Talents that increase Wind Walk's utility. This helps Samuro get into and out of melee range, where Samuro deals all of his meaningful damage. This build is a great starting point for players new to Samuro, and can perform well at all levels of play.
Bladestorm will mostly be used to clear Minions and Mercenaries effectively, due to its low Cooldown and high AoE damage. At Level 16, you hit a huge power spike which gives you kill potential against many Heroes in the game, even when they are at full health. This is accomplished by applying Harsh Winds with a stored Critical Strike, activating Critical Strike immediately after in order to reset your Basic Attack, and then keep attacking the target until they leave your Basic Attack's range, in which case you should use Blade Storm to execute the target, as it has a greater range than your Basic Attacks. Shukuchi makes it possible to close into melee range very quickly in order to deliver your lethal combo. Wind Strider allows you to benefit from most of your other Talents much more often.
Illusion Master BuildAdvanced
The Illusion Master build is a good choice if your playstyle will be more focused on teamfights than on the macro part of a game. This build is excellent if you are experienced with the Hero, as it is considerably harder to use than Wind Storm build.
Samuro's Synergies and Counters
As Samuro has a hard time dealing with Knockbacks, Heroes like Lúcio and E.T.C. can greatly reduce his effectiveness by pushing him away at every possible aggression. He also suffers against Heroes that can easily kill his images, like Jaina, Orphea or Cassia with Surge of Light. Furthermore, Heroes that benefit from hitting clones can be a problem, such as Medivh, or Diablo.
Samuro does very well on maps dependent on point capture, like Dragon Shire or Braxis Holdout, because he can easily beat almost every hero after Level 7. He is also very good on big maps where you need to channel objectives, due to his great stall capabilities and great duel potential during them. Samuro excels on maps with many different flank angles, where you can chase enemies or hit them from behind during objectives.
Samuro's Tips and Tricks
- Hearth Trick: Mirror Image can be used to heal in an unconventional way. When you are outside of combat, hold Left-Shift and cast Image Transmission on a Mirror Image while channeling Hearthstone. If the Mirror Image is still alive when Hearthstone's channel completes, you will instantly return to lane with the health restoration provided by the Hall of Storms.
- Clones' initial focus or movement can be controlled prior to Level 10, by using an Attack-Move command in the same moment they are created (This can be done by holding the button during the Mirror Image usage).
- Use Mirror Image to tank tower shots while ganking, or to damage structures without a friendly minion wave.
- Critical Strike resets your Basic Attacks; activate it immediately after delivering a Critical Strike for optimal effect.
- Wind Walk can be used to quickly approach enemies, or to help you escape dangerous situations. Remember the cooldown starts ticking as soon as the ability is activated
- Use Bladestorm to clear waves or to deal some AoE damage in fights, when enemy has no crowd controls available.
- The Movement Speed provided by Image Transmission can be used not only to chase, but to dodge or to disengage from combat as well.
- Activate Image Transmission to engage on a Hero near one of your Images, or to reposition to safety when you are in danger.
Samuro's Role in the Current Meta
Samuro fits well into team compositions that need a Melee Assassin and Solo Laner, but that also does not require extra peeling for the most vulnerable Heroes in the team. Samuro can be a liability against certain Heroes because his Images can help enemies to quickly finish quests, or to enhance Healing dependent on hitting Heroes, like Malfurion and Diablo have.
Despite all of Samuro's Weaknesses, an excellent player can have great impact playing as him in all situations, due to his high skill ceiling. With Illusion Master, Samuro should be constantly harassing enemy backline, being aware of when they spend their Abilities, to use Image Transmission and kill them.
- 24 Jul. 2021 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta
- 01 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated after meta development.
- 01 Mar. 2021 (abilities page): Updated Bladestorm section.
- 01 Mar. 2021 (this page): Guide updated after meta development.
- 30 Jan. 2021 (this page): Illusion Master Build changed to advanced.
- 20 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talent recommendations updated to reflect current meta.
- 20 Nov. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to reflect current meta.
- 14 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Updated Builds and Talents after recent balance patch.
- 14 Oct. 2020 (this page): Builds updated after recent balance patch.
- 30 Jul. 2020 (this page): Updated Bladestorm Build.
- 25 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Abilities to address Samuro's most recent rework.
- 25 Jun. 2020 (this page): Updated Guide to better reflect current meta.
- 09 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Updated builds and Talents to reflect current meta.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Recommended builds and Talents updated to reflect current meta.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Updated abilities section.
- 02 Jul. 2019 (this page): Recommended builds and Talents udpated to reflect current meta.
- 04 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect current meta.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Abilities section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect Samuro's rework and general changes to the Stealth mechanic.
- 20 Nov. 2016 (this page): Guide added.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 24th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 17th
- Heroes of the Storm Hotfix Patch Notes: May 11th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 10th
- Arclight Rumble Will Not Have Loot Boxes or NFTs
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Minimum Specs, Possible 2022 Release, and No PC Port
- Warcraft Arclight Rumble Gameplay Videos
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: Week of May 3rd
- Hero XP
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Heroes of the Storm Lava Wave Timings
- FREE HEROES ROTATION
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Deathwing
- Heroes of the Storm General Tier List