Samuro Build Guide “My humble skills are yours.”
Welcome to our guide for Samuro, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Samuro's Overview
Samuro is a melee Assassin who can Stealth and create Images of himself on demand. He excels at forcing enemies to deal with problems other than him. Samuro has no self-sustain other than using his Images to absorb damage, which helps to solidify his sneaky gameplay style. Samuro works best on teams that can waveclear well independently of him, so that he can focus on gathering Mercenary Camps and ganking.
2. Samuro's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Samuro's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Wind Walk BuildTalent calculator »
The Wind Walk build focuses on Talents that increase Wind Walk's utility. This helps Samuro get into and out of melee range, where Samuro deals all of his meaningful damage.
Burning Blade helps you clear Minions and Mercenaries effectively, and still increases Samuro's Hero damage quite a lot. At Level 1, you can take Way of the Blade if you plan to focus heavily on PvE. At Level 16, you hit a huge power spike which gives you kill potential against many Heroes in the game, even when they are at full health. This is accomplished by applying Harsh Winds with a stored Critical Strike, activating Critical Strike immediately after in order to reset your Basic Attack, and then using Blade Storm while you still have extra movement speed from Wind Walk. Shukuchi makes it possible to close into melee range very quickly in order to deliver your lethal combo. Wind Strider allows you to benefit from most of your other Talents much more often.
4. Samuro's Synergies and Counters
5. Samuro's Maps
Samuro does very well on maps that have many Mercenary camps, as well as diverse pathing options to and away from them. His single target sustained damage is very high, which can help him clear bosses and Immortals. He lacks sustain in situations where it is not certain that the Images will tank for him. For this reason he is weak while defending against large waves of enemy forces, and againt Punishers which deal massive AoE damage.
6. Samuro's Tips and Tricks
- Use Mirror Image to tank tower shots while ganking, or to damage structures without a friendly minion wave.
- Critical Strike resets your Basic Attacks; activate it immediately after delivering a Basic Attack for optimal effect.
- Wind Walk can be used to quickly approach enemies, or to help you escape dangerous situations.
- Use Bladestorm to kill low Health enemies who may otherwise be protected by crowd control provided by thier allies.
- The Movement Speed provided by Image Transmission can be used not only to chase, but to dodge or to disengage from combat as well.
- Activate Image Transmission to engage on a Hero near one of your Images, or to return to safety when you are in danger.
7. Samuro's Role in the Current Meta
Samuro fits well into team compositions that need a Melee Assassin who can also clear Mercenary Camps efficiently. Samuro can be a liability against certain Heroes because his Images can help enemies to quickly finish quests, or farm resources like Energy. He also struggles against low cooldown AoE harassment while in lane, and should avoid laning against Heroes who are capable of this. Much of Samuro's strength lies within his deceptive kit; Heroes who can reveal his Images can greatly reduce his viability. While not without weakness, he can be incredibly oppressive to the enemy team in ideal situations.
- 04 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect current meta.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Talent section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (abilities page): Abilities section updated to reflect Samuro's rework.
- 14 Dec. 2017 (this page): Guide updated to reflect Samuro's rework and general changes to the Stealth mechanic.
- 20 Nov. 2016 (this page): Guide added.
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Upcoming Changes to Shards & Loot Boxes in Heroes of the Storm
- Heroic Deals: March 19th
- Chromie & Lucio Rework: A List of All Abilities & Talents
- Heroes Blue Posts: March 19th
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: March 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Update: Revamped Hero Roles
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: March 19th
- Fever Clan is looking for more players!
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm The Lost Vikings
- Heroes of the Storm Ana
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm Fenix
- Heroes of the Storm Tychus
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va