Rehgar Build Guide “To the Arena!”
Welcome to our guide for Rehgar, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Rehgar is a melee Support Hero that offers strong utility and powerful single target healing. His Ghost Wolf form allows him to quickly dash in and out of combat even when takling damage. Unlike most other Supports, Rehgar is capable of clearing Mercenary Camps all by himself.
Rehgar's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Can use his Ghost Wolf form even while moving and fighting, which provides unique mobility during team fights
- Ancestral Healing offers very strong single-target heal
- Strong talent choices, which allow for flexible builds
- Works well in a lot of different team compositions
- Capable of clearing Mercenary Camps on his own very quickly
Rehgar's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Lightning Shield BuildTalent calculator »
The Lightning Shield build offers great map control and team fight damage. This build helps Rehgar and his team win trades by constantly applying a damage aura to his frontline. While skirmishing or team fighting, Lightning Shield is best cast on allied Heroes who will remain in melee range for several seconds.
It is easy to hit an entire minion wave with Lightning Shield's radius increase from Electric Charge, which replenishes a lot of mana thanks to Stormcaller. Blood and Thunder is absolutely essential for this build to work, because it is the only way to reduce the cooldown of Lightning Shield. Everytime you cast Lightning Shield, you want to lunge at something with Ghost Wolf to proc the cooldown reduction. It is not necessary to lunge at enemy Heroes in order to trigger this effect. Ancestral Healing gives you the burst healing necessary to keep an ally alive when Chain Heal just isn't enough. At 13, Earth Shield is a solid option that allows you to preemtively protect allies from damage; something healing cannot accomplish. However, if you do need more healing, Tidal Waves is a very strong choice to pair with Blood and Thunder.
AoE Heal BuildTalent calculator »
Rehgar's Synergies and Counters
Rehgar is a strong melee Assassin and Tank Supporter. As such, aggressive Heroes like Illidan, Kerrigan or E.T.C. benefit a lot from Earthbind Totem and from Ancestral Healing, in particular. When playing with these Heroes, we usually recommend picking Earth Shield at Level 13 to further bolster their defences.
Due to the fact that Rehgar relies a lot on saving pressured allied targets with Ancestral Healing, anti-healing effects on Heroes such as Varian or Ana can negate one of his strongest abilities. Due to the relatively short casting range on most of his abilities, Rehgar is quite susceptible to getting intercepted by enemy crowd control and high mobility Heroes such as Tracer or Illidan.
Rehgar performs well on smaller maps that require early rotations between lanes, since his Ghost Wolf form allows him to quickly get in and out of lane. On larger maps like Warhead Junction, Rehgar struggles a little due to the reduced movement speed of his Ghost Wolf form. On those battlegrounds, we recommend picking Wolf Run at Level 1 to compensate for this drawback.
Rehgar's Tips and Tricks
- Rehgar is surprisingly good at clearing Mercenary Camps all by himself.
- Using Ghost Wolf's empowered Basic Attacks while fighting enemy Heroes or clearing Mercenary Camps increases your damage output significantly.
- It is better to cast Ancestral Healing too early than too late. The more the enemy focuses on killing a single target of your team, the earlier you should cast Ancestral Healing on them.
- Lightning Shield can be cast on Earthbind Totem to damage Minion waves from a safe distance.
Rehgar's Role in the Current Meta
There is hardly any other support Hero that can be as versatile and adaptable as Rehgar. Rehgar's kit, which consists of a mixture of heals, shields, and crowd control allows him to adapt very nicely to the flow of the game. His exceptional mobility granted by his Ghost Wolf trait, allows him to clear Mercenary Camps more quickly while at the same time providing him with excellent mobility both in and out of combat.
Rehgar's strong single target healing capabilities, but also his exceptional offensive potential using Lightning Shield or even Bloodlust if the need arises, make him an ideal match with most melee Assassins, especially Illidan, Thrall, or Kerrigan, who greatly benefit from his Ancestral Healing Heroic Ability, which is capable of almost instantly restoring even severely injured allies. Talents such as Cleanse, Earth Shield, or Storm Shield will protect your teammates very effectively as well.
The current Nexus Anomaly heavily favours Heroes who can safely and efficiently collect the Experience Globes dropped by slain minions. Typically, this will be Heroes with a strong lane presence and good waveclear. Rehgar naturally clears minion waves from melee range, and does so exceptionally well. This Anomaly is a slight buff to Rehgar overall.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Updated Role in the Current Meta to include information on current Nexus Anomaly.
- 28 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Updated talents to reflect balance patch.
- 28 Nov. 2019 (this page): Updated talents to reflect balance patch.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Updated talents to reflect balance patch; Updated recommended talents and builds to reflect current meta.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Reviewed Ability Section following balance patch.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (this page): Updated talents to reflect balance patch; Updated recommended talents and builds to reflect current meta.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (this page): Updated recommended builds to reflect current meta.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated talents to reflect balance patch; Updated recommended talents and builds to reflect current meta.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Reviewed Ability Section
- 18 Apr. 2019 (talents page): Updated Rehgar's Level 16 talents and talent builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update. Rising Storm is now Recommended.
- 12 Feb. 2019 (talents page): Updated Rehgar's talents and builds in accordance with the latest patch.
- 12 Feb. 2019 (this page): Updated Rehgar's introduction page.
- 12 Feb. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Ancestral Healing's description in accordance with the latest patch.
- 30 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Wolf Run from Situational to Recommended.
- 28 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Removed Lightning Bond from Rehgar's talents following the latest balance patch.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (this page): Added a new Bloodlust build.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (talents page): Updated a number of tooltips and explanations following Ragnaros patch, but no changes were made to the talent recommendations.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (abilities page): Updated Bloodlust description following the changes in Ragnaros patch.
- 29 Nov. 2016 (this page): Moved Rehgar to the new guide format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 14th
- Path of Diablo (2) Season 9 Brings a New Skill, Widescreen Support, Trade 2.0 and More
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 7th (Delayed)
- Deathwing Nerfs Coming in the Next Balance Patch
- Heroic Deals: January 7th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged and StarCraft 2 Join the ESL
- Diablo 2 Fan Remaster / Upscale Project
- The Listening Game Podcast: Cloaken Interviews Lana Bachynski
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Remember when Legendary skins were...well, Legendary?