Rehgar Build Guide “To the Arena!”
Welcome to our guide for Rehgar, a Melee Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Rehgar's Overview
Rehgar is a melee Support Hero that offers strong utility and powerful single target healing. His Ghost Wolf form allows him to quickly dash in and out of combat even when takling damage. Unlike most other Supports, Rehgar is capable of clearing Mercenary Camps all by himself.
2. Rehgar's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Can use his Ghost Wolf form even while moving and fighting, which provides unique mobility during team fights
- Ancestral Healing offers very strong single-target heal
- Strong talent choices, which allow for flexible builds
- Works well in a lot of different team compositions
- Capable of clearing Mercenary Camps on his own very quickly
3. Rehgar's Talent Build Cheatsheet
AoE Heal BuildTalent calculator »
The AoE Healing Build allows Rehgar to protect multiple allied Heroes at the same time. At Level 4, Spiritwalker's Grace can be a good alternative choice if you think Healing Totem will get destroyed too often. Advanced Rehgar players can swap Storm Shield with Rewind, which can be very powerful as well. However, Rewind usually requires stronger mechanics and game sense than Storm Shield to get maximum value.
Single Target Protection BuildTalent calculator »
The Single Target Protection Build is recommended when your team faces a lot of burst damage. At Level 1, Wolf Run is a solid talent if you play on larger maps or if you want to make sure that you can stay close to the focused target more efficiently. Warriors and other high health targets greatly benefit from Earth Shield at Level 13. At Level 20, Storm Shield provides further protection, whereas Rewind allows you to cast two instances of Earth Shield in a row, which makes it a great alternative choice as well.
4. Rehgar's Synergies and Counters
Rehgar is a strong melee Assassin and Tank Supporter. As such, aggressive Heroes like Illidan, Kerrigan or E.T.C. benefit a lot from Earthbind Totem and from Ancestral Healing, in particular. When playing with these Heroes, we usually recommend picking Earth Shield at Level 13 to further bolster their defences.
Due to the fact that Rehgar cannot cast Ancestral Healing on himself, he has to carefully avoid getting Stunned. Thus, Heroes like Muradin or Varian can be quite a threat. On the other hand, Heroes like Illidan or Lunara are often too sticky for Rehgar's Ghost Wolf form to escape (unless he went for Wolf Run at Level 1).
5. Rehgar's Maps
Rehgar performs well on smaller maps that require early rotations between lanes, since his Ghost Wolf form allows him to quickly get in and out of lane. On larger maps like Warhead Junction, Rehgar struggles a little due to the reduced movement speed of his Ghost Wolf form. On those battlegrounds, we recommend picking Wolf Run at Level 1 to compensate for this drawback.
6. Rehgar's Tips and Tricks
- Rehgar is surprisingly good at clearing Mercenary Camps all by himself.
- Using Ghost Wolf's empowered Basic Attacks while fighting enemy Heroes or clearing Mercenary Camps increases your damage output significantly.
- It is better to cast Ancestral Healing too early than too late. The more the enemy focuses on killing a single target of your team, the earlier you should cast Ancestral Healing on them.
- Lightning Shield can be cast on Earthbind Totem to damage Minion waves from a safe distance.
7. Rehgar's Role in the Current Meta
There is hardly any other support Hero in Heroes of the Storm that is as versatile and adaptable as Rehgar. Rehgar's kit, which consists of a mixture of heals, shields, and crowd control allows him to adapt very nicely to the flow of the game. His exceptional mobility granted by his Ghost Wolf trait, allows him to clear Mercenary Camps more quickly while at the same time providing him with excellent mobility both in and out of combat.
Rehgar's strong single target healing capabilities, but also his exceptional offensive potential using Bloodlust, make him an ideal match with most melee Assassins, especially Illidan, Thrall, or Kerrigan, who greatly benefit from his Ancestral Healing Heroic Ability, which is capable of almost instantly restoring even severely injured allies. Talents such as Cleanse, Earth Shield, or Storm Shield will protect your teammates very effectively as well.
- 30 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Changed Wolf Run from Situational to Recommended.
- 28 Nov. 2017 (talents page): Removed Lightning Bond from Rehgar's talents following the latest balance patch.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (talents page): Updated a number of tooltips and explanations following Ragnaros patch, but no changes were made to the talent recommendations.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (abilities page): Updated Bloodlust description following the changes in Ragnaros patch.
- 15 Dec. 2016 (this page): Added a new Bloodlust build.
- 29 Nov. 2016 (this page): Moved Rehgar to the new guide format.
- Weekly Brawl - Garden Arena: January 18th
- Heroic Deals: January 22nd
- Imperius Meta Tier List (January 2019)
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 15th
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: January 11th
- Heroic Deals: January 15th
- Heroes of the Storm - Your Momma's Joke
- Heroes of the Storm Lunara
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- New tactic idea
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Hanzo
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches