Abathur Build Guide “You. Enhanced. Improved.”
Welcome to our guide for Abathur, a Melee Specialist in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Abathur's Overview
Abathur plays differently from every other Hero in the game. With extremely low health and negligible Basic Attack damage, he needs to avoid direct confrontations with enemy Heroes. He instead applies pressure to the map through use of his global Abilities, and participates in team fights by empowering his allies with Symbiote. Abathur is very dependent on good strategy, and can greatly benefit from (or suffer on) certain maps and team compositions.
2. Abathur's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Can soak multiple lanes at once, creating an XP lead
- Excellent synergy with specific Heroes
- Both Heroics are viable
- One of the best split-pushing Heroes in the game
- Can teleport anywhere on the map (provided there is vision) using Deep Tunnel
- Toxic Nest is excellent at spotting and dismounting enemies attempting to gank allies or sneak objectives
- Weak early game
- Cannot solo a lane by himself
- Body is extremely vulnerable if found
- Requires very good multitasking and map awareness
- Team must adapt to Abathur's unique gameplay style in order to succeed
- Viability is very dependent on the map and team compositions
3. Abathur's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Carapace BuildTalent calculator »
The Carapace Build focuses on talenting Carapace into a powerful and versatile Ability. This build provides great map pressure and out of combat healing to allies, but lacks on demand team fight damage. Regenerative Microbes should be used to heal allied units constantly. Sustained Carapace allows you to get the full duration of Carapace's various effects, even when you cancel Symbiote immediately after casting Carapace. This essentially enables full value casting of Carapace every 4 seconds. Networked Carapace provides minor utility during team fights, but is very strong when pushing Minion waves remotely. While Evolve Monstrosity deals massive team fight damage in ideal situations, it must be stacked ahead of time in order to be effective. It is best if you do not spend much time controlling the Monstrosity until you get Adrenaline Boost at Level 16. Allow it to pressure in an empty lane, while you soak experience with your body and Symbiote. It is possible to gather experience from three lanes at once when using this method, especially while teams rotate to map objectives. This build path is recommended in team compositions that can effectively draw out fights and objectives while you create an experience lead and threaten Structures. It is not recommended for use in dive compositions that require your allies to fully commit to team fights.
Locust Strain BuildTalent calculator »
The Locust Strain Build focuses on talents that produce and enhance Locusts. It excels at creating debilitating static pressure in lanes of your choosing. The Carapace talents included in this build allow you to preventatively shield your Minion waves and allies. Unlike the Carapace Build, you can have a significant impact on mid-game team fights via Ultimate Evolution. This build path is highly recommended against enemy team compositions that lack strong waveclear, as they will have to spend more time and resources answering your push. While an enemy is clearing your Locusts, your team can engage a favourable team fight.
Symbiote BuildTalent calculator »
The Symbiote Build maximises Abathur's team fight presence by taking Talents that improve Symbiote's damage dealing Abilities. This team fight presence comes at the cost of global pressure, as you will lack the huge lane pressure provided by other builds. Although this is not a build that focuses on pushing lanes, it is still important to soak as much experience as possible with it. Due to the short range of Symbiote's Abilities, this build is ideally paired with a melee hyper-carry who benefits from increased attack speed.
4. Abathur's Synergies and Counters
Abathur's Symbiote and Locusts help him to deny the enemy team experience when objectives spawn, when most Heroes will need to vacate lanes in order to rotate. This tactic is directly countered by Heroes who can travel globally, and who waveclear very efficiently. Heroes that match this description usually have high area of effect damage, making them stronger than Abathur in team fights as well.
5. Abathur's Maps
Abathur's win condition is to be more places at once than his enemy, and overwhelm the other team with a constant stream of subtle pressure. Abathur is very strong on large maps that feature frequent objective spawns, which allow him to be somewhat ignored for some of the match. These maps allow him to either soak an advantage, or force the enemy team to split. His strength, however, is also his weakness. Abathur gets very little value on small maps that feature fewer lanes, team fights near lanes, or objectives that do not require immediate rotations.
6. Abathur's Tips and Tricks
- Symbiote can be used to absorb the XP from distant lanes and to assist your allies in combat.
- Place Toxic Nests around the map to provide vision, deal damage, and dismount enemies who are rotating.
- Ultimate Evolution's low cooldown allows you to use it liberally in team fights, to destroy Structures, or speed up the capture of Mercenary Camps.
- Spawn Locust Strain in a lane that needs your assistance or your team is pushing hard in.
- Use Deep Tunnel to quickly traverse the map and get out of harm's way.
7. Abathur's Role in the Current Meta
Abathur's biggest strength is being able to contest map objectives while soaking experience. This is done by moving Abathur within range of Minions and then using Symbiote or Ultimate Evolution to assist your team. This creates an experience advantage over the enemy team. If the enemy team has one of their Heroes soak a lane to try to catch up, then your team is at a significant advantage in any team fight that occurs during that time.
Due to the specific nature of his strengths and weaknesses, Abathur's place in the meta will likely remain situational. He can be extremely powerful with the right team composition, or can struggle to provide value because of a map's mechanics. Even in drafts where you have a good team composition and map for him, you should make sure your team is comfortable with the pick. Abathur requires your team to play differently than normal, and you will have the most success when your teammates understand this.
- 12 Dec. 2017 (talents page): Edited Calldown: MULE to reflect 2018 game design changes.
- 16 Feb. 2017 (this page): Updated guide and moved it to the new format.
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: January 23rd
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 22nd
- Weekly Brawl - Garden Arena: January 18th
- Heroic Deals: January 22nd
- Imperius Meta Tier List (January 2019)
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 15th
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Heroes of the Storm Sylvanas
- Heroes of the Storm - Your Momma's Joke
- Heroes of the Storm Lunara
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- New tactic idea
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Hanzo