Xul Build Guide “All who oppose me: Beware!”
Welcome to our guide for Xul, a Melee Specialist Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Xul's Overview
Xul is a melee Specialist who excels at dominating lanes and inflicting various debuffs on nearby enemies. His strong AoE damage allows him to clear Minions waves and Mercenary Camps very quickly, while his resurrected Skeletal Warriors are capable of applying additional lane pressure. One of Xul's greatest strengths is his ability to significantly slow the attack speed of nearby enemies, which makes him a great counter to most Warriors and melee Assassins in particular. Since Xul only has limited mobility, knowing when to cast Bone Armor becomes crucial in order to ensure his survival on the battlefield.
2. Xul's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Xul's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Cursed Strikes BuildTalent calculator »
The Cursed Strikes Build turns Xul into a potent Bruiser with strong self-healing. We recommend picking Skeletal Mages at Level 10 to prevent nearby enemy Heroes to escape too easily. At Level 20, Kalan's Edict can be replaced by either Mortal Wound if the enemy team features multiple Supports, or Cold Hand of Death if you require additional crowd control during team fights.
Scythe BuildTalent calculator »
The Scythe Build offers plenty of AoE damage thanks to the reduced cooldown on Spectral Scythe and the additional Scythes offered by Echoes of Death at Level 13. Ultimately, due to Mortal Wound at Level 20, this Build becomes particularly powerful against double Support composition who rely on a lot of healing.
Skeleton BuildTalent calculator »
4. Xul's Synergies and Counters
5. Xul's Maps
Xul excels at pushing several nearby lanes, which makes him a formidable pick on Blackheart's Bay, Dragon Shire, and Tomb of the Spider Queen. It is often recommended to let Xul rotate between two lanes, while the remaining four team members focus on pushing the remaining one. On 2-lane maps we usually do not recommend picking Xul, since his laning presence is not strong enough. The only exception is perhaps Braxis Holdout, where his waveclear can still contribute a lot in the quad lane.
6. Xul's Tips and Tricks
- Thanks to the strong waveclear provided by Cursed Strikes, Xul should normally rotate between several lanes in order to raise as many Skeletons as possible.
- Xul has limited mobility and escape mechanisms during team fights, which is why he should usually engage after one or both Warriors.
- We usually do not recommend picking Xul on 2-lane maps, since rotating between lanes becomes quite difficult. Braxis Holdout can be an exception to this rule, as it requires lots of waveclear which Xul has plenty of.
- If available, Skeletal Mages can be used to lock down targets in the enemy team's backline allowing your teammates to follow up quite easily.
7. Xul's Role in the Current Meta
With the lack of mobility being Xul's only major drawback, Xul turns out to be an incredibly powerful laner. His Skeletal Warriors provided by Raise Skeleton reinforce the lane, while Spectral Scythe and Cursed Strikes allow him to severely damage enemies from both ranged and melee distance. Since Xul is a formidable duelist, overextending in lane can become tempting, however, it also makes him vulnerable to enemy ganks.
Xul is an excellent pick if the enemy team consists of several melee Heroes, as Cursed Strikes can greatly hinder their combat performance. Furthermore, he has the ability to counter healing Supporters like Rehgar or Uther in the late game thanks to his Mortal Wound talent at Level 20.
- 16 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Xul's talent descriptions.
- 14 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Corpse Explosion changed from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 11 Jul. 2017 (this page): Updated guide for Stukov's patch and moved to new guide format.
- Game Director Alan Dabiri Leaves Heroes Team
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- WTF Moments Episode 114
- Weekly Collection Update: October 16th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 12th
- Mal'Ganis Overview
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: October 8th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: October 10th
- Fever Clan Recruitment
- Heroes of the Storm Diablo
- whitemane - mana converstion burst heal guide. the nart build
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Was just told auriel is the worst healer in the game
- Im trying to start up a team to improve
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie