Sonya Build Guide “Time to die!”
Welcome to our guide for Sonya, a Melee Warrior in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Sonya's Overview
Sonya is an aggressive Warrior that uses an alternate resource called Fury. Her defining elements are her immense single-target damage output and self sustain. Since the majority of her Abilities have a very short range, Sonya players are reliant on their aptitude to position themselves properly so as to be able to both deal damage and survive.
2. Sonya's Strengths and Weaknesses
3. Sonya's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Whirlwind BuildTalent calculator »
The Whirlwind build seeks to improve the Ability after which it is named. Its goal is to maximize Sonya's self sustain in combat. Key Talents include Hurricane, which reduces the Cooldown of Whirlwind, Wrath of the Berserker, which greatly improves Sonya's damage output and self-healing, and Life Funnel, which further improves the healing provided by Whirlwind. The goal of the build is essentially to hit as many Heroes as possible with Whirlwind, all while Wrath of the Berserker is active.
Sustained Melee Punish BuildTalent calculator »
The Sustained Melee Punish build seeks to improve Sonya's sustained damage output and splash damage to threaten team compositions that tend to group up and have to fight Sonya up close. The main Talent combo of the build lies in Furious Blow, Shot Of Fury, and Giant Slammer, which combine particularly well to increase Seismic Slam's damage output. This build also deals with Mercenary Camps particularly well.
4. Sonya's Synergies and Counters
For Sonya, survival means damage, and damage means survival. As such, she works well with any Hero that can provide her with Shielding effects, added mobility, or reliable crowd control.
5. Sonya's Maps
As a strong solo laner who is also able to clear Mercenary Camps with ease, Sonya can find a place on all Maps. She is, however, particularly effective on those Maps that feature several Mercenary Camps, such as Blackheart's Bay, Cursed Hollow, and Garden of Terror or two-lane Maps such as Battlefield of Eternity and Braxis Holdout.
6. Sonya's Tips and Tricks
- As Fury does not decay over time, try and keep it full before impending engagements.
- Ancient Spear is Sonya's most important Ability; avoid wasting it unless you are sure you can land it.
- Use Whirlwind to trigger Fury's movement speed when chasing foes down to keep up with them.
- Try and constantly keep on attacking while under the effects of Wrath of the Berserker to maintain its effects for as long as possible.
7. Sonya's Role in the Current Meta
Although officially classified as a Warrior, Sonya's playstyle is much more reminiscent of that of an Assassin (or more specifically, that of a bruiser); her high damage output is offset by a limited access to crowd control, reliable early-game initiation, and defensive Abilities. Consequently, players should strongly consider drafting her with the mindset that she fills the role of a melee Assassin, and bring along at least one other Hero that is capable of fulfilling the expected functions of a tank. Furthermore, Sonya players are expected to hold the solo lane.
In general, she tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple melee Heroes, such as dive-oriented compositions, where opponents actually have to come to her or her allies to perform well. This gives Sonya players the opportunity to attack without having to constantly chase after key targets, greatly improving her effectiveness. She is also an appropriate pick on Maps that feature several Mercenary Camps, such as Blackheart's Bay, Cursed Hollow, or Garden of Terror.
- 30 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions updated to reflect latest balance patch.
- 13 May 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions and recommendations updated to reflect Sonya's rework patch.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions and recommendations updated to reflect Sonya's rework patch.
- 06 Mar. 2018 (this page): Role section updated to better reflect currently expected solo laning role.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Tier 2 and Tier 3 talent discussions. Updated Whirlwind and Burst builds.
- 29 Aug. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated and moved to the new format.
- Weekly Brawl - Garden Arena: January 18th
- Heroic Deals: January 22nd
- Imperius Meta Tier List (January 2019)
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 15th
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: January 11th
- Heroic Deals: January 15th
- Heroes of the Storm - Your Momma's Joke
- Heroes of the Storm Lunara
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Imperius
- New tactic idea
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Hanzo
- Heroes of the Storm Stitches