Sonya Build Guide “Time to die!”
Welcome to our guide for Sonya, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Sonya is an aggressive Bruiser that uses an alternate resource called Fury. Her defining elements are her immense single-target damage output and self sustain. Since the majority of her Abilities have a very short range, Sonya players are reliant on their aptitude to position themselves properly so as to be able to both deal damage and survive.
Sonya's Strengths and Weaknesses
Sonya's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Seismic Slam BuildRecommended
Single Target BuildSituational
Differently from the other options, the Single Target Build will be a good choice in all games, as it does not depend on Whirlwind or Leap to deal damage. Shot Of Fury and Rampage will greatly increase her DPS, and Poisoned Spear can be a good choice if you do not need the extra self-sustain from Battle Rage.
Sonya's Synergies and Counters
For Sonya, survival means damage, and damage means survival. As such, she works well with any Hero that can provide her with Shielding effects, added mobility, or reliable crowd control.
Sonya can be easily punished after engaging, because she relies on the self-sustain from her Abilities and Talents. For this reason, heroes that can apply decent crowd control on her are a respectable threat for Sonya. Furthermore, since Wrath of the Berserker does not reduce the duration of silences, fears, or taunts, Sonya has a hard time against Brightwing, Garrosh, and Sylvanas.
As a strong solo laner who is also able to clear Mercenary Camps with ease, Sonya can find a place on all Maps. She is, however, particularly effective on those Maps that feature several Mercenary Camps, such as Blackheart's Bay, and Garden of Terror. Sonya is also excellent on Maps with an important control point on the solo lane, such as Dragon Shire and Braxis Holdout.
Sonya's Tips and Tricks
- As Fury does not decay over time, try and keep it full before impending engagements.
- Ancient Spear is Sonya's most important Ability; avoid wasting it unless you are sure you can land it.
- Try and constantly keep on attacking while under the effects of Wrath of the Berserker to maintain its effects for as long as possible.
- Sonya has a great potential to destroy Towers and Forts; make sure to damage the towers with Seismic Slams and Basic Attacks when the opposing solo laner is not there.
- Since Wrath of the Berserker's Cooldown runs during its buff, you can freely use this Heroic Ability in the Lane, as you will probably have it again when necessary.
- Shot Of Fury can be used to extend Wrath of the Berserker's duration by 5 seconds.
- Mostly, if you want to keep chasing a running target, it is better to only use Ancient Spear and Seismic Slams to reach it, as Basic Attacks will slow you down (assuming you have enough Fury for that).
- Nerves of Steel should not be used together with Ignore Pain. It is better to use them separately to maximize Sonya's survivability.
Sonya's Role in the Current Meta
Although officially classified as a Bruiser, Sonya's playstyle is much more reminiscent of that of a melee Assassin; her high damage output is offset by a limited access to crowd control, reliable early-game initiation, and defensive Abilities. Consequently, players should strongly consider drafting her with the mindset that she fills the role of a melee Assassin, and bring along at least one other Hero that is capable of fulfilling the expected functions of a Tank. Furthermore, Sonya players are expected to hold the solo lane.
As a Melee Assassin, she tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple melee Heroes, such as dive-oriented compositions, where opponents actually have to come to her or her allies to perform well. This gives Sonya players the opportunity to attack without having to constantly chase after key targets, greatly improving her effectiveness.
As the only bruiser in the team, she is not a good pick against dive compositions, as her peeling capabilities are very limited. However, she is excellent to follow a Tank's engages or to burst a squishy backliner.
- 26 Mar. 2021 (talents page): Updated Talent recommendations.
- 26 Feb. 2021 (this page): Simplified Build choices.
- 18 Feb. 2021 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated to better reflect current meta.
- 18 Feb. 2021 (this page): Guide updated to better reflect current meta.
- 25 Jan. 2021 (talents page): Talents and builds updated to ensure meta relevance.
- 25 Jan. 2021 (this page): Updated Tips and Builds to keep up with meta changes.
- 25 Jan. 2021 (abilities page): Updated Leap's description.
- 03 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Talents and builds updated after recent balance patch.
- 03 Dec. 2020 (this page): Guide updated after recent balance patch.
- 03 Dec. 2020 (abilities page): Updated Seismic Slam's description.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated to ensure meta relevance.
- 24 Sep. 2020 (this page): Builds updated to ensure meta relevance.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 29 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilities section reviewed.
- 29 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 29 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 30 Aug. 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions updated to reflect latest balance patch.
- 13 May 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions and recommendations updated to reflect Sonya's rework patch.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Talent descriptions and recommendations updated to reflect Sonya's rework patch.
- 06 Mar. 2018 (this page): Role section updated to better reflect currently expected solo laning role.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Tier 2 and Tier 3 Talent discussions. Updated Whirlwind and Burst builds.
- 29 Aug. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated and moved to the new format.
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 17-18
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius