Sonya Build Guide “Time to die!”
Table of Contents
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
Welcome to our Sonya guide for Heroes of the Storm. Here you will learn everything you need to know in order to play Sonya in a competitive environment, whether you play on your own or with a team.
About the Author
Oxygen is a veteran of the MOBA genre, which he has been playing for nearly 15 years. He has coached some of Heroes of the Storm's most prominent North American players and teams alike, including Team Liquid. As a Master player, he enjoys playing all Heroes and roles.
1. Quick Reference
Whirlwind Build (talent calculator link)
The Whirlwind Build seeks to improve the Ability after which it is named. Its goal is to maximize Sonya's self sustain in combat. Key Talents include Hurricane, which reduces the Cooldown of Whirlwind, Wrath of the Berserker, which greatly improves Sonya's damage output and self-healing, and Life Funnel, which further improves the healing provided by Whirlwind. The goal of the build is essentially to hit as many Heroes as possible with Whirlwind, all while Wrath of the Berserker is active.
Burst Build (talent calculator link)
This Burst Build seeks to take advantage of Leap's extremely reliable area of effect crowd control and gap closing effect. Key Talents include Focused Attack and Poisoned Spear, which add to Sonya's ability to inflict burst damage after using Leap. This build is particularly useful when used in a burst team composition, which simply seeks to single out and destroy a specific high-value target.
Synergies and Counters
For Sonya, survival means damage, and damage means survival. As such, she works well with any Hero that can provide her with Shielding effects, added mobility, or reliable crowd control.
As a strong solo laner who is also able to clear Mercenary Camps with ease, Sonya can find a place on all Maps. She is, however, particularly effective on those Maps that feature several Mercenary Camps, such as Blackheart's Bay, Cursed Hollow, and Garden of Terror.
- As Fury does not decay over time, try and keep it full before impending engagements.
- Ancient Spear is Sonya's most important Ability; avoid wasting it unless you are sure you can land it.
- Use Whirlwind to trigger Fury's movement speed when chasing foes down to keep up with them.
- Try and constantly keep on attacking while under the effects of Wrath of the Berserker to maintain its effects for as long as possible.
Sonya is an aggressive Warrior that uses an alternate resource called Fury. Her defining elements are her immense single-target damage output and self sustain. Since the majority of her Abilities have a very short range, Sonya players are reliant on their aptitude to position themselves properly so as to be able to both deal damage and survive.
- One of the highest single-target damage output potential in the game
- Extremely strong duelist
- Great self-sustain through Whirlwind
- May quickly and safely solo claim any Mercenary Camp, including Bosses
- Susceptible to being kited
- No options to deal damage from range
- Excessively reliant on hitting her Ancient Spear Ability
5. Role in the Current Meta
Although officially classified as a Warrior, Sonya's playstyle is much more reminiscent of that of an Assassin (or more specifically, that of a bruiser); her high damage output is offset by a limited access to crowd control, reliable early-game initiation, and defensive Abilities. Consequently, players should strongly consider drafting her with the mindset that she fills the role of a melee Assassin, and bring along at least one other Hero that is capable of fulfilling the expected functions of a tank.
In general, she tends to do well against team compositions that feature multiple melee Heroes, such as dive-oriented compositions, where opponents actually have to come to her or her allies to perform well. This gives Sonya players the opportunity to attack without having to constantly chase after key targets, greatly improving her effectiveness. She is also an appropriate pick on Maps that feature several Mercenary Camps, such as Blackheart's Bay, Cursed Hollow, or Garden of Terror.
6. Reading Further
To take things further, we have 2 more pages that you can read:
- Abilities and Strategy: an overview of your hero's abilities and how to use them;
- Talent Build: a detailed rundown of your talents and how to choose them.
7. ChangeLog+ show all entries - show only 10 entries
- 29 Aug. 2017 (this page): Guide fully updated and moved to the new format.
- +Abilities and Strategy
- +Talent Build
- Weekly Collection Update: Oct 24
- Heroes Brawl - Ghost Protocol: Oct 19
- Viewer's Guide to HGC 2017 Finals
- Icy Veins Podcast: Episode #2
- Junkrat Live Patch Notes: Oct 17
- Junkrat Build Guide
- Local Currency Update Coming to Blizzard Battle.net in Canada, Japan & New Zealand
- 5 Loot Chests for Twitch Prime Members
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Heroes of the Storm Zul'jin
- Zul'Jin dps
- Heroes of the Storm Rexxar
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Nova
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Ranked advice