Alarak Build Guide “The hour of my vengeance has come.”
Welcome to our guide for Alarak, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Alarak's Overview
Alarak is a melee Assassin who controls the battlefield by manipulating the positioning of his enemies. He can sacrifice raw damage for increased utility through Sadism, allowing him to deal with each challenge differently. Telekinesis allows him to push himself and enemies in any direction, while Discord Strike can render them completely helpless afterward. He is better at damaging Heroes than he is at clearing Minions and Mercenaries, but can solo lane very effectively due to his high self-sustain. Alarak works best in direct cooperation with his teammates, as he can setup or secure takedowns extremly well. Reliably landing Discord Strike and Telekinesis can be difficult, and requires practice. Putting in the time to get comfortable with these Abilities is essential in leveraging his great potential.
2. Alarak's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Poor siege potential
- Cannot solo Mercenary Camps effectively
- Discord Strike's delay and shape can make it a relatively difficult skillshot
- Difficult to master
3. Alarak's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Chaos Reigns BuildTalent calculator »
The Chaos Reigns Build is made up of Talents that focus on increasing the reliability and damage of Discord Strike as much as possible. Use Discord Strike to follow-up Telekinesis whenever you can do so safely. Sustaining Power improves Alarak's self-sustain enough to give him an advantage over most lane opponents. Alternatively, Ruthless Momentum can give you many more opportunities to displace enemy Heroes with Telekinesis. Applied Force allows you to pull enemy Heroes into Discord Strike from a safer distance, but can be exchanged situationally. Hindered Motion will help to proc Mocking Strikes later, and can also help you land Discord Strike while you are still practicing Alarak's combo. Use Lightning Surge as often as you can to poke enemies. Once they are low on Health, you can secure kills with Telekinesis and Discord Strike. At Level 20 you can take Hasty Bargain if you have a lot of Sadism, or take Deadly Charge if you do not.
Lightning Surge BuildTalent calculator »
The Lightning Surge Build is exceptionally good at long range poke, especially against melee heavy team compositions. It is very easy to play, as you simply use Lightning Surge every time it is available. Target enemy Heroes behind the enemy frontline whenever possible, to damage as many Heroes with each cast as possible. When you finish stacking Extended Lightning, you will be able to slow enemies who are hit by the center of the beam. Negatively Charged can be stacked without limit, and is not lost on death. Lightning Barrage gives Lightning Surge a free second cast if an enemy Hero is hit by the center of the beam. With Hasty Bargain and clever positioning, you can cast Lightning Surge up to 4 times in quick succession. It is very important to focus on hitting enemy Heroes with the center of Lightning Surge's beam, as many of your Talent investments involve this mechanic.
4. Alarak's Synergies and Counters
Alarak does well with allies who can secure takedowns on enemy Heroes who have been silenced and damaged by Discord Strike. He also does well with split push Specialists, as he has a strong presence during team fights.
5. Alarak's Maps
Alarak is not able to deal large amounts of damage to non-Heroic entities during PvE encounters with his Abilities; however, he can be effective during team fights that occur during map objectives. He is better on maps that are oriented around team fighting, rather than those that require strong Minion or Mercenary clearing. Narrow choke points can help him land his Abilities on multiple enemy Heroes at the same time.
6. Alarak's Tips and Tricks
- Use Discord Strike to Silence and damage your enemies, leaving them vulnerable.
- Use Telekinesis to propel yourself into range of a kill, or push yourself to safety. You can also push enemies into danger!
- Lightning Surge is a great way to recover small amounts of Health as needed. Always try to hit enemies with the center of its beam for extra damage.
- Deadly Charge can be channeled from the fog of war due to its huge range, allowing you to enter fights by surprise. Make sure your team is ready as you have no escape.
- Make whatever choices will help you establish dominance; even if that means sacrificing some of Sadism's bonus damage for utility options.
7. Alarak's Role in the Current Meta
Alarak is great for team compositions that need a strong solo lane Hero. He works best on a team that can reliably follow up when he forces an enemy out of position or silences them. Alarak forces enemies to respect his area of influence, as getting too close can quickly result in death. His kit is composed of powerful skillshots, which can be extremely rewarding when combinations are executed flawlessly.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance after balance patch.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance after balance patch.
- 30 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance after balance patch.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (abilities page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (this page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance.
- 24 Aug. 2019 (talents page): Guide reviewed to ensure meta relevance.
- 24 May 2019 (talents page): Talent descriptions updated to account for Balance Patch.
- 24 May 2019 (this page): Talent descriptions updated to account for Balance Patch.
- 18 Apr. 2019 (talents page): Talent descriptions updated to account for Balance Patch.
- 18 Apr. 2019 (this page): Talent descriptions updated to account for Balance Patch.
- 11 Apr. 2019 (talents page): Tier 1 Talent recommendations updated.
- 30 Mar. 2019 (talents page): Talents page updated to reflect meta developments.
- 30 Mar. 2019 (this page): Guide updated to reflect meta developments.
- 26 Aug. 2017 (talents page): Blade of the Highlord text updated to reflect balance patch, earlier this week.
- 20 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Extended Lightning text updated.
- 01 Jun. 2017 (talents page): Text updated for Show of Force's discussion.
- 31 May 2017 (talents page): Talents page updated following balance patch.
- 16 May 2017 (abilities page): Abilities page updated following Alarak's rework in D.va's release patch.
- 16 May 2017 (talents page): Talents page updated following Alarak's rework in D.Va's release patch.
- 16 May 2017 (this page): Guide updated following Alarak rework in D.Va's release patch.
- 25 Jan. 2017 (this page): Added new Double Cross build.
- Qhira Meta Tier List (September 2019)
- Heroic Deals: September 3rd
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: September 3rd
- Heroic Deals: August 27th
- Weekly Brawl - Silver City: August 30th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: August 27th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update: August 28th
- Activision Blizzard Stock Jumps after Classic Launch
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters
- Heroes with Self-Healing
- Icy Veins BattleTag exchange
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Zarya
- Heroes of the Storm Probius