Lunara Build Guide “Taste my spear!”
Welcome to our guide for Lunara, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Lunara is a Ranged Assassin who relies on her high Movement Speed and damage over time abilities to fight her enemies from a large distance. She combines the ability to grant vision to her team with strong Basic Attacks and outstanding maneuverability, especially during the later stages of the game. As most ranged Assassins, she requires good positioning and map awareness in order to unfold her true strength. Lunara is a challenging Hero to master, however, she is a very rewarding Assassin, capable of having a massive impact on team fights and skirmishes.
Lunara's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Strong sustain DPS in teamfights
- Good PvE ability with dedicated Talents
- Very mobile due to Trait
- Susceptible to crowd control
- Fairly high learning curve
- No real burst damage
- Requires good positioning
Lunara's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Noxious Blossom BuildRecommended
Lunara's Noxious Blossom Build turns her into a sort of hybrid damage class. Your main focus should be keeping up stacks through Basic Attacks thus activating the damage portion of Choking Pollen to deal some great burst damage.
Standard Auto Attack BuildBeginner
The Standard Auto Attack Build is where Lunara shines the brightest. Focusing on enhancing her auto attack damage, Lunara can quickly stack up Nature's Toxin, activating Choking Pollen's extra damage. After level 16, Lunara can shred tanks through Invigorating Spores.
Nature's Toxin BuildSituational
The Nature's Toxin Build enhances Lunara's trait damage. Focus on stacking up her poison on all enemies rewards you greatly once at 3 stacks, slowly withering the enemies down. Leaping Strike is the most viable Heroic ability due to the small burst damage it has and also allows you to stick on a target in case they were to flee.
Lunara's Synergies and Counters
Lunara works with a variety of different Heroes and team compositions, however, she truly shines if paired with crowd control heavy Heroes such as Arthas, Jaina, or Muradin who all provide plenty of Slow for Lunara's Unfair Advantage talent at Level 16 to get value from.
Lunara gets countered by two things: mobile Assassins like Illidan or Genji that can chase her down even after she used Leaping Strike and strong AoE healing provided by Healers like Malfurion or Stukov who can shut down Nature's Toxin's poison damage.
Lunara performs quite well on most maps with the exception of Warhead Junction where the fact that Lunara cannot use a mount causes her to feel very clunky and slow. On Battlefield of Eternity, however, Lunara feels even more powerful than on other battlegrounds thanks to her Level 4 talent Nature's Culling, which allows her to inflict heavy damage onto enemy Immortals.
Lunara's Tips and Tricks
- The fact that Lunara cannot use a mount is a both blessing and curse. In team fights, make sure to use your increased Movement Speed to kite enemy Heroes. Out of combat, do not forget about informing your allies about your position during rotations if you are falling behind.
- Leaping Strike is a great escape mechanism against hard-engaging Tanks and melee Assassins like Illidan or Muradin.
- Lunara's efficiency sometimes depends on the type of Healer Hero the enemy team chose during draft. While she counters single-target Healers like Lt. Morales or Uther, her AoE damage over time gets countered by strong AoE Healers like Stukov or Malfurion.
- On larger maps, Hippity Hop allows Lunara to rotate as fast as any mounted Hero, which greatly helps her to stay close to her allies.
Lunara's Role in the Current Meta
Lunara shines when she is able to stack and spread Nature's Toxin on multiple targets undisturbed. Thus, keeping her poison active should become her primary goal. Fortunately, abilities like Noxious Blossom and Crippling Spores can help out greatly in that regard. Crippling Spores, in particular, can be used to instantly refresh the duration of Nature's Toxin and also slows each affected enemy.
Although Lunara's Heroic Abilities are quite easy to understand, it is extremely important to know when to use them. Thornwood Vine adds a fairly reliable source of additional AoE damage and also allows Lunara to control her Nature's Toxin stacks more efficiently. Leaping Strike, on the other hand, focuses more on mobility and repositioning. As such, you should carefully assess your own and the enemy team composition and then decide which ability to pick at Level 10.
- 20 Jun. 2022 (this page): Updated builds
- 12 Dec. 2021 (this page): Updated level 13 talents.
- 12 Dec. 2021 (talents page): Updated level 13 talents.
- 30 Aug. 2021 (this page): Talents have been updated in builds.
- 01 Jun. 2021 (this page): Guide has been updated with new builds.
- 01 Jun. 2021 (talents page): Talents have been updated.
- 09 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Guide has been reviewed and no changes are needed.
- 09 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide has been reviewed and no changes are needed.
- 02 Jul. 2020 (talents page): Guide has been reviewed and no changes are needed.
- 02 Jul. 2020 (this page): Guide has been reviewed and no changes are needed.
- 02 Jul. 2020 (abilities page): Guide has been reviewed and no changes are needed.
- 05 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note regarding this seasons Anomaly.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Reviewed Lunara's Abilities section.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated Lunara's talents.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 23 May 2018 (talents page): Updated Lunara's talents in accordance with her most recent rework.
- 23 May 2018 (abilities page): Updated Lunara's abilities in accordance with her most recent rework.
- 16 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide moved to new format.
More Ranged Assassin Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar