Lunara Build Guide “Taste my spear!”
Welcome to our guide for Lunara, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Lunara is a ranged Assassin who relies on her high Movement Speed and damage over time abilities to fight her enemies from a large distance. She combines the ability to grant vision to her team with strong Basic Attacks and outstanding maneuverability, especially during the later stages of the game. As most ranged Assassins, she requires good positioning and map awareness in order to unfold her true strength. Lunara is a challenging Hero to master, however, she is a very rewarding Assassin, capable of having a massive impact on team fights and skirmishes.
Lunara's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Strong sustained DPS in teamfights.
- Good PvE ability with the correct talents.
- Very mobile due to trait.
Lunara's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Standard Auto Attack BuildTalent calculator »
The Standard Auto Attack Build is where Lunara shines the brightest. Focus on stacking up her poison on all enemies rewards you greatly once at 3 stacks, slowly withering the enemies down. Leaping Strike is the most viable Heroic ability due to the small burst damage it has and also allows you to stick on a target in case they were to flee.
Poke BuildTalent calculator »
The Poke Build is a safe choice against team compositions that feature several ranged Assassins and/or slow Warriors like Arthas or Johanna who cannot really close in on Lunara that easily. As such, Thornwood Vine becomes a natural choice at Level 10, however, Leaping Strike still remains a good ability. In the late game, Forest's Wrath provides Lunara with even more long-distance damage, however, we can also recommend Galloping Gait for faster rotations and combat maneuverability.
Lunara's Synergies and Counters
Lunara performs quite well on most maps with the exception of Warhead Junction where the fact that Lunara cannot use a mount causes her to feel very clunky and slow. On Battlefield of Eternity, however, Lunara feels even more powerful than on other battlegrounds thanks to her Level 4 talent Nature's Culling, which allows her to inflict heavy damage onto enemy Immortals.
Lunara's Tips and Tricks
- The fact that Lunara cannot use a mount is a both blessing and curse. In team fights, make sure to use your increased Movement Speed to kite enemy Heroes. Out of combat, do not forget about informing your allies about your position during rotations if you are falling behind.
- Leaping Strike is a great escape mechanism against hard-engaging Warriors and melee Assassins like Illidan or Muradin.
- Lunara's efficiency sometimes depends on the type of Support Hero the enemy team chose during draft. While she counters single-target Healers like Lt. Morales or Uther, her AoE damage over time gets countered by strong AoE Healers like Stukov or Malfurion.
- On larger maps, Hippity Hop allows Lunara to rotate as fast as any mounted Hero, which greatly helps her to stay close to her allies.
Lunara's Role in the Current Meta
Lunara shines when she is able to stack and spread Nature's Toxin on multiple targets undisturbed. Thus, keeping her poison active should become her primary goal. Fortunately, abilities like Noxious Blossom and Crippling Spores can help out greatly in that regard. Crippling Spores, in particular, can be used to instantly refresh the duration of Nature's Toxin and also slows each affected enemy.
Although Lunara's Heroic Abilities are quite easy to understand, it is extremely important to know when to use them. Thornwood Vine adds a fairly reliable source of additional AoE damage and also allows Lunara to control her Nature's Toxin stacks more efficiently. Leaping Strike, on the other hand, focuses more on mobility and repositioning. As such, you should carefully assess your own and the enemy team composition and then decide which ability to pick at Level 10.
Lunara does have some mild use for the current Anomaly. Having Wisp up allows her to help out her solo lane by preventing ganks thus causing no XP loss. She is also able to dish out some damage to the enemy soakers which can quickly turn into a kill.
- 05 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note regarding this seasons Anomaly.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Updated Lunara's talents.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (abilities page): Reviewed Lunara's Abilities section.
- 25 Jul. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 23 May 2018 (talents page): Updated Lunara's talents in accordance with her most recent rework.
- 23 May 2018 (abilities page): Updated Lunara's abilities in accordance with her most recent rework.
- 16 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide moved to new format.
- Deathwing Meta Tier List (December 2019)
- Heroic Deals: December 10th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: December 10th
- Why Diablo 2 Still Holds Up After 20 Years - Book Excerpt
- Heroes of the Storm AMA Recap: December 5th
- Heroic Deals: December 3rd
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: December 6th
- BlizzCon Winning Cosplays Interview
- I love the idea of Heritage Armor, but something that would make them better are Heritage Weapon Sets
- Heroes of the Storm Maiev
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Thrall
- looking for ranked team