Murky Build Guide “Mrglrglmrglmrrrlggg!”
Welcome to our guide for Murky, a Melee Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Murky is a melee Specialist that excels at frustrating his opponents. Uniquely designed, he is adept at attracting the attention of enemy players, causing them to behave inefficiently to respond to his abrasive presence. Murky's allies must capitalise on the fact that he thrives in attrition battles; even if his attributes and damage values are limited, his Hero Trait, Spawn Egg, makes it so that he is never away from battle for long when killed.
Murky's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Extremely fragile; by far the lowest amount of Health amongst all Heroes
- Inept at carrying coin-like Map Objectives, which are dropped on death
- Several conditions may limit his damage potential
- Underwhelming early-game presence
- Distinct playstyle to which your team must adapt
Murky's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Murky's Synergies and Counters
Murky's small Health pool means that Shielding effects, which are in most cases of a static value, are are an extremely effective way of increasing his survivability. Given that Murky's damage output is tuned around having a very limited amount of Health, he naturally benefits greatly from teaming up with any Hero that can provide him with such effects. Otherwise, Octo-Grab can serve as a strong setup for any delayed Heroic Ability.
Murky's predictable attack plan and his dependency on remaining within close range of his targets to effectively deal damage make him vulnerable to most high damage Hero with some way of kiting him or quickly destroying Pufferfish. Li-Ming is a notorious Murky counter due to the way her Critical Mass Trait functions. At Hero Level 16, Zarya gains access to her own form of crowd control removal in the form of Cleansing Shield, which greatly reduces the effectiveness of Octo-Grab.
Murky's Tips and Tricks
- Hide your Spawn Egg in nooks and crannies, Bushes, or near allied Structures so that it is difficult to find.
- Use Slime and Pufferfish to efficiently waveclear at all stages of the game.
- Standing on top of Pufferfish will prevent opponents from targeting it easily.
- Try and dodge dangerous skillshots or area of effect Abilities with Safety Bubble.
- Call out your intended Octo-Grab target so that your teammates know just who to focus down.
Role in the Current Meta
Although classified as a Specialist, Murky very much plays like an Assassin; his primary team fighting goal is to single-out key opponents for quick, one-sided kills. He also conditionally deals a fair amount of area of effect damage. The main difference between him and regular Assassins, however, is that most of his damage can be avoided by playing in a particularly defensive way. This peculiar aspect is made up for by the facts that Murky can revive and come back to an ongoing fight nearly instantly, thanks to his Spawn Egg Ability. Because of this, any energy spent killing Murky is inefficiently used, and one should see to capitalise on this attribute to take pressure away from allies. This makes him especially strong against team compositions that lack reliable targeted burst damage.
Outside of combat, Murky has some of the best waveclear available, and can scout where it would be dangerous for any other Hero to do so.
- 30 Aug. 2020 (this page): Role in Current Meta section updated.
- 05 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Description updated for Egg Hunt and Octo-Grab.
- 13 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Talent builds and recommendations reviewed and updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (this page): Guide updated.
- 11 Oct. 2019 (abilities page): Abilites section reviewed.
- 28 Jul. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talents and recommendations to reflect July 25 balance patch changes.
- 21 Feb. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Lúcio's patch and moved to the new format.
- 14 Jan. 2017 (talents page): Updated Tier 1, 3, and 6 Talent assessments. Updated Balanced build.
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: September 8th
- New Skins & Enforcer Tints & Tamed Ravasaur (Ranked Season Mount)
- Heroes Senior Designer Talks D.Va Rework
- Heroes of the Storm PTR Patch Notes: August 31st
- Heroes of the Storm Teaser 2: August 30th
- Heroes of the Storm Teaser: August 29th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: August 19th
- Dexterity's 2v2 Brawl: August 22nd
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List Hub
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea