Varian Build Guide “Glory to the Alliance!”
Welcome to our guide for Varian, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Varian's Strengths and Weaknesses
Varian's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Colossus Smash BuildSituational
Colossus Smash Build turns Varian into a highly explosive Melee Assassin, who excels at bursting down enemy priority targets using Colossus Smash to engage and exploit the Armor reduction effect to increase not only his own damage, but also the damage of the rest of his team. We recommend this Build when your team does not need a Tank or a Solo Laner.
Twin Blades BuildSituational
Varian's Synergies and Counters
Taunt Build synergizes with Heroes who can easily follow up with crowd control (like Malfurion that can easily land a Root just a moment before the Taunt is going to expire) and burst damage (such as Jaina who will be able to get full damage from her Blizzard).
Varian, independently from the Build used, is countered by Heroes who are able to kite him due to their range (such as Hanzo who can also use Sonic Arrow to deny a flank) and/or Heroes that have tools to drastically compromise his already low mobility (such as Garrosh).
Taunt Build is countered by Heroes who have a tool to remove his Taunt (such as Anduin with Leap of Faith) and/or that have something to counter the burst damage that will come from his team (like Uther because he provides Armor to allied Heroes via Devotion).
Colossus Smash Build is countered by Heroes that have something to mitigate the burst damage that will come from him and his team (for example Medivh because Force of Will provides Protected, a status effect that has no direct counters).
Varian is good on Maps where team fights happen not only at the Objective but also in other locations of the battlefield because he can gain advantage from the fact that his Heroic Abilities have a really short cooldown and weak on Maps where there is only one big team fight at the Objective because the enemy team can play safe the rest of the time.
Varian's Tips and Tricks
- When playing Taunt Build, remember that Taunt can be used to interrupt enemy channels (for example to stop Carrion Swarm by Mal'Ganis).
- When going for Colossus Smash Build, always make sure to use Colossus Smash first and other Abilities after in order to increase all damage dealt thanks to the Armor reduction on the enemy Hero.
- When choosing Twin Blades, do not go too far from your team so that they can focus the same enemy Hero as you and/or help you to survive.
- If your team desperately needs a Tank, do not insist on taking Colossus Smash or Twin Blades of Fury at Level 4 because a Tank is really important to have in team.
Varian's Role in the Current Meta
Varian can be played as:
- Tank when going for Taunt Build;
- Melee Assassin when going for Colossus Smash Build;
- Solo Laner when going for Twin Blades Build or Taunt Build.
While it is quite useful to draft a flexible Hero whose Role is hard to assume for the opponents, you should already know what will be your Heroic Ability during the draft and communicate with your teammates before picking Varian so that they can cover the missing Roles in your team composition.
If you are playing in a Game Mode without draft, however, take a look at your team composition while the game is loading and decide what is the best Heroic Ability to choose. While doing so, remember that the Tank is a key element of a successful team composition.
- 03 Apr. 2020 (abilities page): Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 03 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview modified to better introduce his Strengths and Weaknesses explained later.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that was missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to reflect the current metagame and to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 03 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build fully revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 19 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Updated Frenzy's description in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 16 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 16 Oct. 2019 (talents page): Updated Varian's Talents and Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 09 Sep. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Varian's Abilities page.
- 09 Sep. 2019 (this page): Updated Varian's Introduction section.
- 09 Sep. 2019 (talents page): Updated Varian's Talents and Talent Builds.
- 18 Apr. 2019 (talents page): Updated Varian's early Talents and Talent Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 13 Oct. 2018 (talents page): Updated Talent Builds and changed Frenzy from Not Recommended to Situational.
- 06 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Changed Second Wind from Situational to Recommended.
- 04 Apr. 2018 (talents page): Changed Warbringer from Situational to Recommended.
- 28 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Completely overhauled Varian's Builds and Talents in accordance with his recent Rework.
- 11 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Changed High King's Quest from Situational to Recommended.
- 03 Jul. 2017 (talents page): Updated Varian's Level 1 Talents.
- 16 May 2017 (talents page): Updated Warbringer's description.
- 11 Mar. 2017 (talents page): Updated Varian's talent section to fit the current meta.
- 28 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Updated Warbringer in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 18 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Re-arranged Varian's Level 13 and 16 talent tiers in accordance with the Lucio Update.
- 04 Feb. 2017 (talents page): Updated Level 7 talent discussions and assessments.
- 20 Dec. 2016 (this page): Adjusted weaknesses.
- 20 Dec. 2016 (talents page): Updated text for some talent discussions, but assessments remain the same.
- 15 Nov. 2016 (this page): Guide added.
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Nexomania II Event Preview (June 23rd - September 7th)
- Bringing Mei Into the Nexus
- Heroes of the Storm Mei Patch Notes: June 23rd
- Diablo 2 Creators on the Rumored Remaster: No Censoring, It's a Tough Job
- Diablo 2 Remaster Significantly More Likely After Two Job Postings Surface
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin