Yrel Build Guide “Victory will be ours.”
Welcome to our guide for Yrel, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Yrel is a melee Warrior who excels at supporting her allies and creating opportunities to decide fights in her team's favor. With a variety of crowd control abilities, she can decide to use these either defensively or offensively. Since all of her Basic Abilities come with a short wind-up time, it is extremely important to think ahead when playing Yrel in order to avoid getting interrupted or missing the right moment to strike.
Yrel's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Decent self-sustain
- Both Heroic Abilities are viable
- Strong disengage
- Good mobility thanks to Avenging Wrath
Yrel's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Bruiser BuildTalent calculator »
The Bruiser Build is designed to make Yrel a formidable solo laner and - as the name suggests - Bruiser. By choosing Maraad's Insight at Level 1, you make sure to have enough self-sustain to outlast most other Heroes in lane or at least trade evenly. At Level 4, we usually recommend Aegis of Light, however, Hand of Freedom can still be a valid choice if your team requires additional help against enemy Slows and Roots or simply to speed up an important Hero, usually Assassins, to make them more impactful. At Level 13, Repentance allows Yrel to chase targets down more efficiently, which is particularly useful when played a bit more aggressively. Ultimately, Holy Wrath causes Yrel to have a significant late game power spike, since the extra damage after each Basic Ability splashes in a respectable area around her and even works against enemy Structures. Last but not least, Seraphim at Level 20 removes one of Yrel's core weaknesses and makes her much less susceptible to enemy crowd control by giving her a short time window during which she becomes Unstoppable.
Defensive BuildTalent calculator »
The Defensive Build allows Yrel to both tank more damage herself while also reducing the enemy team's performance in that regard. At Level 1, Light of Karabor lays a great foundation to increase her self-healing and possesses great synergy with Aldor Peacekeeper at Level 13. Hand of Freedom at Level 4 helps deal with enemy Slows and Roots, in particular, but can also be used as a mere mobility boost due to its low cooldown. During the late game, Holy Wrath is a universally strong weapon that increases Yrel's damage and wave clear capabilities significantly. At Level 20, Word of Glory can be taken to further mitigate damage dealt on allied Heroes. Alternatively, Seraphim is never a bad choice, as it helps fight Yrel's susceptibility to enemy crowd control.
Yrel's Synergies and Counters
Yrel synergizes really well with Heroes like Arthas or Jaina that bring a lot of crowd control to the table. Slows, Stuns, and Roots make it particularly easy for her to land devastating Righteous Hammers. Furthermore, low mobility Heroes like Cassia or Malfurion appreciate the additional healing and protection provided by Gift of the Naaru.
Yrel struggles against Heroes that possess reliable crowd control, such as Garrosh or Johanna, who can interrupt her while charging her Basic Abilities. Due to her reduced Movement Speed while winding up her abilities and both Righteous Hammer and Avenging Wrath being skillshots, she usually has a hard time catching nimble Assassins like Illidan or Genji.
Yrel excels on maps like Braxis Holdout, Infernal Shrines, or Sky Temple that allow her to hold position on an Objective. This way her healing and her Heroic Abilities, especially Sacred Ground, provide a lot of value. On battlegrounds like Battlefield of Eternity or Tomb of the Spider Queen, however, on which the Objective often shifts locations, she sometimes struggles to deliver.
Yrel's Tips and Tricks
- Ardent Defender is a great defensive tool against enemy burst damage. That being said, feel free to use the ability after dropping down to 50% health instead of waiting until the last moment. This ensures you can stay fighting rather than having to withdraw from combat.
- Every of Yrel's Basic Abilities has a wind-up time. Make sure to charge up the abilities in time to gain maximum value off them in fights.
- Divine Purpose can be used to instantly cast an ability with maximum value. Use it with Vindication to gain an instant heal, with Righteous Hammer to immediately knock back enemies, and with Avenging Wrath to engage or disenage at once.
- On maps with static Objectives, such as Infernal Shrines or Sky Temple, Sacred Ground can be used to hold position and secure the Objective.
Role in the Current Meta
Yrel can be a tricky Hero to categorize. While she usually lacks the resilience to be a true Main Tank, she may find herself struggling as a Bruiser in the Solo Lane against Heroes like Leoric or Malthael. We believe she is best played in the Solo lane nontheless, as her self-sustain allows her to perform well even in unfavorable matchups. During team fights, Yrel excels at flanking the enemy team and peeling for her own ranged Assassins and Healers.
With the help of her crowd control and the healing Yrel provides, she can take care of allies in need while also locking enemy Heroes down and buy enough time for her team to take them down. After hitting Level 10, Yrel can get away with playing very aggressively, since both of her Heroic Abilities, Ardent Defender and Sacred Ground, allow her to stay alive even through the most dangerous of burst damage. This makes her a great pick against burst-heavy Assassins and Mages. Against nimble Assassins and Bruisers, however, she is usually too slow to pose a serious threat to them.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (talents page): Revised and overhauled Yrel's Talents and Builds in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Jul. 2019 (this page): Updated Yrel's introduction in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 28 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Completely overhauled Yrel's talents section in accordance with the latest Balance Update.
- 15 Jun. 2018 (talents page): Changed Maraad's Insight from Not Recommended to Recommended.
- 12 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide added.
- A List of All Deathwing's Talents
- Heroes of the Storm Update Details : Deathwing, Mephisto's Revenge Event, Train Mount, New Skins
- Quick Official Video Highlight Summaries for the Announcements at BlizzCon
- What's Next in Heroes of the Storm?
- New Battle.net Desktop App Beta
- BlizzCon 2019 Content Hub
- Full BlizzCon Schedule Revealed
- Warcraft 3: Reforged Beta Keys for All Virtual Ticket Holders
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Sgt. Hammer
- Heroes of the Storm Li-Ming
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian