Jaina Build Guide “I'm here to help.”
Welcome to our guide for Jaina, a Ranged Assassin in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Jaina is combo-oriented ranged damage dealer with outstanding area of effect crowd control and burst damage potential. Befitting her Frost Mage theme, her Abilities also Slow everything they hit. Her reliance on skillshots and delayed Abilities, and relative fragility, however, make her one of the hardest Heroes to play, let alone master.
Jaina's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Outstanding burst damage
- ALL Abilities apply a strong Slowing effect on hit
- Excellent waveclear
- Very fragile, especially to melee Assassins
- Difficult to play due to ALL Abilities having some form of counterplay
- Long Cooldowns that must be managed with care
- Limited mobility
Jaina's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Frostbolt BuildTalent calculator »
The Frostbolt build seeks to improve Jaina's sustained damage output through the several synergistic Frostbolt-related Talents. Fingers of Frost provides much needed Mana and a bit of extra damage; Frost Shards makes Frostbolt more difficult to block and potentially doubles its damage; Ice Lance situationally halves Frostbolt's Cooldown, which is particularly significant when combined with Icy Veins; Summon Water Elemental provides a reliable way to keep targets Chilled through Frostbite.
Jaina's Synergies and Counters
Since Jaina depends highly on skillshots to deal her damage, she naturally works well with any Hero that can provide reliable crowd control against a kill target for her to follow up. Her frailty also makes her dependent on other Heroes to peel for her; tanks tend to fulfill these two needs, although other Hero types can as well.
Since Jaina relies chiefly on skillshots and delayed Abilities to deal damage, she does particularly poorly against Heroes that have ways of quickly dodging her Abilities. Furthermore, her frailty and lack of self-peel makes her vulnerable to Stealthed or otherwise high-damage nimble Heroes that can quickly reach her.
Jaina's excellent waveclear makes her particularly effective on Maps where the Objective requires the rapid destruction of several small enemies, or where quick rotations are expected. She also becomes quite proficient at claiming Mercenary Camps as well past Hero Level 7. She tends to be weaker on Maps where she might need to be isolated, although she should probably never be left without an ally regardless, due to her dependence on peeling.
Jaina's Tips and Tricks
- Use your Abilities together to maximise Frostbite's damage.
- Root or Slow enemies before casting Blizzard and Ring of Frost. Allied crowd control is also helpful.
- Use Blizzard to very efficiently waveclear or claim Mercenary Camps.
Role in the Current Meta
Note about the current Anomaly: Jaina's status as the best waveclear Hero makes her a high-priority pick for this Anomaly. Being able to quickly dispatch Minions to move on to other Lanes ensures superior Map control and, ultimately, lets you better dictate the pace of the game. Highly recommended choice.
While Jaina's sustained damage may be slightly lower than that of other Assassins, her burst damage potential certainly makes up for this. This extreme amount of burst damage allows Jaina to heavily damage or outright kill out-of-position targets, something that her counterparts would be unable to do. Additionally, almost the entirety of Jaina's damage is area of effect, allowing her to heavily punish enemy teams that group tightly together.
Unlike other burst damage Heroes who are very weak during the early game, lack waveclear, or can only deal single target damage, Jaina's abundance of on-demand burst damage does not make other parts of her kit weaker. Her only real weakness lies in her very low mobility and dependence on good positioning.
- 15 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added a note about current Anomaly.
- 23 May 2019 (talents page): Updated talent discussion and recommendations following patch v2.45.1 changes.
- 14 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Updated Tier 6 and 7 talent assessments. Updated Frostbolt build.
- 07 Sep. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for Kel'thuzad patch and moved to new format.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 14th
- Path of Diablo (2) Season 9 Brings a New Skill, Widescreen Support, Trade 2.0 and More
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: January 7th (Delayed)
- Deathwing Nerfs Coming in the Next Balance Patch
- Heroic Deals: January 7th
- Warcraft 3: Reforged and StarCraft 2 Join the ESL
- Diablo 2 Fan Remaster / Upscale Project
- The Listening Game Podcast: Cloaken Interviews Lana Bachynski
- Heroes of the Storm Mephisto
- Heroes of the Storm Samuro
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Trivia: Maxium Multi-kill Icon
- Heroes of the Storm Leoric
- Heroes of the Storm D.Va
- Remember when Legendary skins were...well, Legendary?