Ana Build Guide “Mother knows best.”
Welcome to our guide for Ana, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Ana's Overview
Ana is a long range Healer who excels at manipulating the course of battle from a safe distance. She is particularly efficient if protected by a sturdy frontline, since she does not have any real escape mechanism. Consequently, knowing how to position Ana during a team fight becomes of the essence, not only when it comes to staying clear of danger, but also when it comes to healing allied targets from the right angle.
2. Ana's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Long Basic Attack range
- Relatively low Mana consumption
- Works great with Assassins who rely on spell damage
- Counters other Healers
- Relatively fragile
- Limited damage dealing potential
- Main Abilities are skillshots that require precise aiming
- Underwhelming mobility
3. Ana's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Grenade BuildTalent calculator »
The Grenade Build provides strong AoE (anti)healing, which is particularly good if your team has several melee Heroes who usually clump next to each other and if the enemy team features one or several Supports with high number healing abilities, such as Rehgar's Ancestral Healing, for instance. Nano Boost is the Heroic Ability of choice, even if your team does not feature any dedicated Mages, as the Mana replenishment and especially the cooldown reduction works great on most Heroes. However, Eye of Horus can certainly be picked as well, especially if your team requires additional burst healing during team fights. The Level 13 talent pick is highly situational, however, judging of how likely a talent is going to net value throughout a game, we value Purifying Darts a lot, since there is a larger number of Movement Speed Slows and Roots than Stuns. That being said, some Heroes have such highly impactful Stun abilities (Muradin's Storm Bolt, for instance) that Smelling Salts can definitely become a viable alternative choice. At Level 20, both Heroic upgrades are strong choices. However, the additional damage and, more importantly, the additional protection makes Armored Stance a solid alternative.
4. Ana's Synergies and Counters
Ana's Nano Boost possesses outstanding synergy with Assassins who rely heavily on ability damage such as Kael'thas or Kel'Thuzad. Furthermore, Biotic Grenade's healing boost effect greatly enhances both her own and her targets' self healing capabilities. As such, frontliners like Arthas or Dehaka can greatly increase their own survivability.
5. Ana's Maps
Ana performs really well on battlegrounds like Battlefield of Eternity or Braxis Holdout that focus on early skirmishes and extended laning phases. This usually results in less unpredictable ganks, which Ana is somewhat vulnerable to. Furthermore, her low Mana costs allow her to stay in lane for a long period of time. On open maps like Garden of Terror or Warhead Junction, however, Ana is very susceptible to enemy flanks, which is why we do not recommend her too much on those maps.
6. Ana's Tips and Tricks
- Due to her limited self-healing capabilities, Ana needs to pay special attention on where she positions herself during a team fight.
- Nano Boost's duration of 8 seconds is quite long, so do not be too hesitant to cast it at the beginning of a team fight.
- Use Ana's superior Basic Attack range to consistently harass opponents in lane.
7. Ana's Role in the Current Meta
Ana fits into a variety of team compositions and is ideally played as a solo Healer, although she can also empower so-called double Support compositions. It is worth mentioning that she has limited self-healing capabilities and as such should be played very defensively most of the time. In the case of an emergency, Sleep Dart is a great tool to keep engaging enemy Bruisers and Assassins at bay.
Make sure to position Ana in a way that she has a clear shot with Healing Dart on targets that require healing. Ana's Nano Boost has incredible synergy with ability damage heavy Assassins like Alarak, Kael'thas, or Kel'Thuzad. If your team composition does not feature any Mages or if you require additional healing during team fights, Eye of Horus can be (but does not have to be) a worthy substitute ability.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Applied minor updates to Ana's ability descriptions.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed Eye of Horus from Situational to Recommended and updated the talent builds accordingly.
- 13 Feb. 2019 (talents page): Updated Ana's talents and builds in accordance with the latest rework.
- 13 Feb. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Ana's abilities in accordance with the latest rework.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Updated Ana's Talent Builds in accordance with the most recent balanced update.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (abilities page): Updated Shrike (and Biotic Grenade, very slightly) text to account for the latest patch.
- 29 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Overdose is now Recommended and Aim Down Sights is now Not Recommended as intended.
- 13 Oct. 2017 (talents page): Changed Dynamic Shooting from Not Recommended to Recommended and fixed Overdose's description.
- 29 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent builds and descriptions after further playtesting.
- 28 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Added talent discussions.
- 26 Sep. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: June 25th
- 2019 Season 3 Changes and Updates
- Top French Publication Says Diablo 4 Has Been Shown to Blizzard Employees
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA Recap: June 20th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: June 21st
- Heroic Deals: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes: June 18th
- Heroes of the Storm Reddit AMA: June 20th
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Anub'arak
- Heroes of the Storm Chen
- Heroes of the Storm Lt. Morales
- Heroes of the Storm Sonya
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat