Ana Build Guide “Mother knows best.”
Welcome to our guide for Ana, a Healer in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Ana is a Healer who excels at manipulating the course of battle from a safe distance. She is particularly efficient if protected by a solid frontline, since she does not have any real escape mechanism. Consequently, knowing how to position Ana during a team fight is crucial when it comes to staying clear of danger, but also when it comes to healing allied targets from the right angle.
Ana's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Relatively low Mana consumption
- Counters other Healers
- Synergizes with Mages
- Provides crowd control
- Weak against dive
- Struggles to heal high-mobility allied Heroes
Ana's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Ana's Shrike Build is particularly good at trading resources with the enemy team. You can do this by reducing their damage and healing output when affected by Shrike.
The debuff comes from Mind-Numbing Agent at Level 7 and can be applied in two ways: via Basic Attacks, when safe to do so, or via Sleep Dart, thanks to Overdose at Level 4.
Sleep Dart BuildAdvanced
Ana's Sleep Dart Build is designed to compensate the Slow provided by the Aim Down Sights effect included in Shrike by giving Ana some Movement Speed and by Slowing enemy Heroes, using Night Terrors and Slumber Shells respectively; furthermore, the former Talent adds burst damage in the form of percent-based damage.
Biotic Grenade BuildBeginner
Ana's Biotic Grenade Build is all about healing allied Heroes and yourself, with Contact Healing increasing her survivability and Anti-Healer making it better and easier to use.
Ana's Synergies and Counters
Nano Boost possesses outstanding synergy with Mages (such as Mephisto) or, more in general, Heroes who deal the majority of their damage with Abilities and not Basic Attacks.
Even if they can also be used on their own, Sleep Dart and Biotic Grenade benefit from allied Heroes who can provide reliable crowd control with their Basic Abilities (like E.T.C.) that will make them impossible to miss.
Since her self-healing is limited, Ana usually struggles against Heroes who can ignore her team and dive her instead (such as Chen with Storm, Earth, Fire).
Abilities that can isolate an enemy Hero (like Cocoon by Anub'arak) or disengage (like Mighty Gust by Falstad) can be used to counter Nano Boost in two different ways.
While not as effective as the counters that have been mentioned above, poke is also a decent tool against her, but only if you can actually do considerable damage to her from high distance (such as Hanzo).
There are no Healers who can counter Ana, however, you might prefer going for a Hero who offers utility instead of raw healing (like Lúcio that can count on Sound Barrier to support his team without actually healing them).
Ana's Tips and Tricks
- Due to her limited survivability, Ana needs to pay special attention on where she positions herself during a team fight.
- Do not wait too much for casting Nano Boost because it lasts 8 seconds.
- Hold Biotic Grenade as much as possible because it can easily secure a kill or save an allied Hero.
Ana's Role in the Current Meta
Ana is a main Healer that fits into a variety of team compositions, but make sure to have a good target for Nano Boost to get the most value out of her, usually a Mage (such as Li-Ming).
Biotic Grenade has the power to heavily counter most Healers and even some Heroes that belong to different Roles (for example Arthas with Army of the Dead).
- 21 May 2022 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 21 May 2022 (this page): Builds updated.
- 12 Mar. 2022 (this page): Builds updated.
- 12 Mar. 2022 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 28 Sep. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 08 Oct. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Aug. 2020 (this page): Introduction page updated.
- Build added.
- Minor fixes.
- New layout.
- 12 Aug. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build page updated.
- Build added.
- Minor fixes.
- New layout.
- 12 Aug. 2020 (abilities page): Abilities and Strategy page updated.
- Minor fixes.
- New layout.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (this page): Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- 22 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- 31 Mar. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build fully revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 31 Mar. 2020 (abilities page): Abilities and Strategy page fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 31 Mar. 2020 (this page): Introduction fully revised to match new standards.
- Overview rewritten to better describe the Hero.
- Strengths and Weaknesses modified to give a better idea about the Hero when being played right.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Synergies and Counters modified to mention notable Heroes that were missing and to remove misleading Heroes that were listed.
- Maps modified to focus on the main aspects of the Hero when evaluating a Map.
- Tips and Tricks modified to list important tips that were missing before and to delete more obvious ones.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to reflect the current metagame and to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 06 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added an entry about the current Anomaly to the guide.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (talents page): Changed Eye of Horus from Situational to Recommended and updated the talent builds accordingly.
- 03 Jun. 2019 (abilities page): Applied minor updates to Ana's ability descriptions.
- 13 Feb. 2019 (abilities page): Updated Ana's abilities in accordance with the latest rework.
- 13 Feb. 2019 (talents page): Updated Ana's talents and builds in accordance with the latest rework.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Updated Ana's Talent Builds in accordance with the most recent balanced update.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (abilities page): Updated Shrike (and Biotic Grenade, very slightly) text to account for the latest patch.
- 29 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Overdose is now Recommended and Aim Down Sights is now Not Recommended as intended.
- 13 Oct. 2017 (talents page): Changed Dynamic Shooting from Not Recommended to Recommended and fixed Overdose's description.
- 29 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent builds and descriptions after further playtesting.
- 28 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Added talent discussions.
- 26 Sep. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
More Healer Guides
- End-of-Year Blizzard Update
- US Federal Trade Commission Files Suit to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Join Us Live on Twitch for the Icy Veins Podcast
- US Federal Trade Commission "Likely to File Antitrust Lawsuit" to Block Microsoft Acquisition of Activision Blizzard
- Blizzard in China: All the Details, Rumors and New Information
- NetEase Message to Chinese Blizzard Game Players
- NetEase Responds to Blizzard Licensing Agreement Expiration
- Most Blizzard Game Services to Be Suspended in China on January 23rd
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Connection Lost Constantly
- Heroes of the Storm Wandering Keg
- Heroes of the Storm Garden of Terror
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar