Ana Build Guide “Mother knows best.”
Welcome to our guide for Ana, a Ranged Support in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
1. Ana's Overview
Ana is a long range Support, who excels at manipulating the course of battle from a safe distance. She is particularly efficient if protected by a sturdy frontline, since she does not have any real escape mechanism. Consequently, knowing how to position Ana during a team fight becomes of the essence, not only when it comes to staying clear of danger, but also when it comes to healing allied targets from the right angle.
2. Ana's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Long Basic Attack range
- Relatively low Mana consumption
- Works great with Assassins who rely on spell damage
- Strong against other Supports
- Very competitive talent tree
- Relatively fragile
- Limited damage dealing potential
- Main Abilities are skillshots that require precise aiming
- Underwhelming mobility
3. Ana's Talent Build Cheatsheet
All-round BuildTalent calculator »
The All-round Build comes with a lot of utility and provides, as the name suggests, solid value in most games. However, it is very important to carefully analyze the enemy team composition in terms of crowd control and damage type. If the opposing roster features strong ability damage dependent Assassins, Mind-Numbing Agent at Level 7 can be a strong choice to lower their combat efficiency. Similarly, Speed Serum at Level 13 can be replaced by Purifying Darts or Smelling Salts depending on what form of crowd control the enemy team relies on the most.
Grenade BuildTalent calculator »
The Grenade Build provides strong AoE healing, which is particularly good if your team has several melee Heroes who usually clump next to each other. When playing Ana it is very important to carefully analyze the enemy team composition in terms of crowd control and damage type. Mind-Numbing Agent at Level 7 can be a strong choice against Mages, whereas Speed Serum at Level 13 can be replaced by Purifying Darts or Smelling Salts depending on what form of crowd control the enemy team relies on the most.
4. Ana's Synergies and Counters
Ana's Nano Boost possesses outstanding synergy with Assassins who rely heavily on ability damage such as Kael'thas or Kel'Thuzad. Furthermore, Biotic Grenade's healing boost effect greatly enhances both her own and her targets' self healing capabilities. As such, Warriors like Arthas or Dehaka can greatly increase their own survivability.
Ana usually struggles against mobile enemy Assassins and Warriors, such as Genji or Varian. These Heroes can pose a serious threat to Ana, who has no real escape mechanisms. Furthermore, they are more or less "immune" to Biotic Grenade's healing debuff due to abilities that render them Protected. Heroes like Lucio or Tassadar, on the other hand, provide powerful shields that can also completely ignore the negative side effects of Biotic Grenade.
5. Ana's Maps
Ana performs really well on battlegrounds like Battlefield of Eternity or Braxis Holdout that focus on early skirmishes and extended laning phases. This usually results in less unpredictable ganks, which Ana is vulnerable to. Furthermore her low Mana costs allow her to stay in lane for a long period of time. On open maps like Garden of Terror or Warhead Junction, however, Ana is very susceptible to enemy flanks, which is why we do not recommend her too much on those maps.
6. Ana's Tips and Tricks
- Ana's talent tree is very situational. For instance, if the enemy team composition features lots of Slowing effects, choose Purifying Darts, whereas Smelling Salts excels against Stun heavy Heroes.
- Due to her limited self-healing capabilities, Ana needs to pay special attention on where she positions herself during a team fight.
- Nano Boost's duration of 8 seconds is quite long, so do not be too hesitant to cast it at the beginning of a team fight.
- Use Ana's superior Basic Attack range to consistently harass opponents in lane.
7. Ana's Role in the Current Meta
Ana fits into a variety of team compositions and can be played as both solo and secondary Support. It is worth mentioning that she has limited self-healing capabilities and as such should be played very defensively. In the case of an emergency, Sleep Dart is a great tool to keep engaging enemy Warriors and Assassins at bay.
Make sure to position Ana in a way that she has a clear shot with Healing Dart on targets that require healing. Ana's Nano Boost has incredible synergy with ability damage heavy Assassins like Alarak, Kael'thas, or Kel'Thuzad. If your team composition does not feature any Mages, Eye of Horus can be a worthy substitute ability.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (talents page): Updated Ana's Talent Builds in accordance with the most recent balanced update.
- 07 Mar. 2018 (abilities page): Updated Shrike (and Biotic Grenade, very slightly) text to account for the latest patch.
- 29 Jan. 2018 (talents page): Overdose is now Recommended and Aim Down Sights is now Not Recommended as intended.
- 13 Oct. 2017 (talents page): Changed Dynamic Shooting from Not Recommended to Recommended and fixed Overdose's description.
- 29 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Updated talent builds and descriptions after further playtesting.
- 28 Sep. 2017 (talents page): Added talent discussions.
- 26 Sep. 2017 (this page): Guide added.
- Heroes of the Storm Sylvanas
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Greymane
- Laptop charger disconnecting when playing HOTS
- Heroes of the Storm Alexstrasza
- Heroes of the Storm Artanis
- New tactic idea