FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sottle

The Rate/Improve my deck thread.

I've been having a lot of fun with this deck lately.  I enjoy playing Priest decks, and this works almost like an aggro deck for Priest. I think the Shadow Visions card from the new expansion has made the classic inner fire / divine spirit combo more workable. Its been doing pretty well in matches, even getting a couple wins on turn 4 when an opponent was caught off guard. But it could definitely use some improvement.

2x  Silence
2x  Arcane Anomaly
2x  Binding Heal
2x  Crystalline Oracle
2x  Holy Smite
2x  Inner Fire
2x  Northshire Cleric
2x  Power Word: Shield
2x  Divine Spirit
2x  Radiant Elemental
2x  Shadow Visions
1x  Shadow Word: Pain
2x  Shadow Word: Death
1x  Tar Creeper
1x  Lightspawn
2x  Holy Nova
1x  Lyra the Sunshard

The general strategy is to get a small minion out right away and start boosting them. A Radiant Elemental on turn 2 makes all the 1 cost spells free, so an Arcane Anomaly or Northshire Cleric can suddenly become huge. Shadow Visions can help you pull a divine spirit or inner fire when you really need it. 

6 hours ago, Allegro said:

I've been having a lot of fun with this deck lately.  I enjoy playing Priest decks, and this works almost like an aggro deck for Priest. I think the Shadow Visions card from the new expansion has made the classic inner fire / divine spirit combo more workable. Its been doing pretty well in matches, even getting a couple wins on turn 4 when an opponent was caught off guard. But it could definitely use some improvement.

2x  Silence
2x  Arcane Anomaly
2x  Binding Heal
2x  Crystalline Oracle
2x  Holy Smite
2x  Inner Fire
2x  Northshire Cleric
2x  Power Word: Shield
2x  Divine Spirit
2x  Radiant Elemental
2x  Shadow Visions
1x  Shadow Word: Pain
2x  Shadow Word: Death
1x  Tar Creeper
1x  Lightspawn
2x  Holy Nova
1x  Lyra the Sunshard

The general strategy is to get a small minion out right away and start boosting them. A Radiant Elemental on turn 2 makes all the 1 cost spells free, so an Arcane Anomaly or Northshire Cleric can suddenly become huge. Shadow Visions can help you pull a divine spirit or inner fire when you really need it. 

I tired it out and I honestly don't know if I am the one to help. Priest is still my lowest class but all of my runs with Priest came from Control Priest. The issue that I did run into with this deck was how quickly I would loose momentum. Again, I'm more of a Control Priest player when I do play Priest so I could be playing this whole deck wrong. I'll tag @positiv2 in for this one and hopefully he can help you better. 

Thats exactly what Im running into, loss of momentum.  If you dont get a good start, you're hurting. But if you can hold on to get a radiant elemental and Lyra on the board together, it can snowball into unstoppable minions. 

the latest tweak im working with drops both Crystalline Oracle in favor of a second Tar Creeper and Lightspawn

4 hours ago, Allegro said:

Thats exactly what Im running into, loss of momentum.  If you dont get a good start, you're hurting. But if you can hold on to get a radiant elemental and Lyra on the board together, it can snowball into unstoppable minions. 

the latest tweak im working with drops both Crystalline Oracle in favor of a second Tar Creeper and Lightspawn

I would suggest keeping both Crystalline Oracle as they are both cheap and each one represents two cards. My suggestion would be to drop the two Silence's instead. That will also help make the value of your Shadow Visions a little better as it ups your chances at Discovering both Divine Spirit and Inner Fire a little more consistently. 

• Like 1

I had a lot of fun playing Jade Rogue prior to Un'Goro so have been trying to get such a deck to work in the new meta.  I know we have one that combines Jade cards with powerful deathrattle effects here, but I don't want to split my focus from getting bigger and bigger Jades.  That said, here is what I'm using right now.

Backstab x2

Shadowstep x2

Eviscerate x2

Gadgetzan Ferryman x2

Jade Shuriken x2

Jade Swarmer x2

Loot Hoarder x2

Sap x2

Youthful Brewmaster x2

Fan of Knives x2

Mimic Pod x1

Stonehill Defender x2

Tar Creeper x2

Jade Spirit x2

Shadowcaster x2

Aya Blackpaw x1

Since the current meta is so fast, I've recently added Stonehill Defender and Tar Creeper to try and slow down my opponent.  The hope is that this will get me through the first couple of turns without being completely overrun.  The rest of the cards are purely to keep duplicating or allowing me to drop Jade Swarmer and Jade Spirit over and over again.  The two problems I have are that I can go through half my deck and not get one of the Jade summoning cards (Swarmer, Spirit or Aya) so the rest of the cards have nothing to work off of, or I have no way of catching up if I fall behind in board presence as I lack a good AoE or board clearing spell.  I'm open to suggestions on how to address these two deficiencies.

The main issue that Rogue has with Jade right now is all of the support cards that Rogue lost this year.  With Brann BronzebeardGang Up and Unearthed Raptor gone it makes Jade Rogue a lot less potent hence why our Jade deck is a lot different than it's formal self.  As far as your deck goes my suggestion is to drop both Gadgetzan Ferryman for two Swashburglar's  and drop both Tar Creeper's and a copy of Youthful Brewmaster for two copies of SI:7 Agent and either one copy of Vilespine Slayer or one of Defender of Argus.  The reasons are this: Your deck is focused on Jades but the issue is only two minions in your deck has a Battlecry for Jades and you squeezed in six cards to bounce those two minions, three if you count the second copy of Jade Spirit.  Because of this you have ran into the issues you are having. Gadgetzan Ferryman in this deck is more situational than Youthful Brewmaster due to the need for another card for the combo. Swashburglar is two cards in one and something you can drop on turn one. The inclusions of SI:7 Agent and Vilespine Slayer are so you can become more proactive so you can take the fight to them instead of always being the one on the ropes. Defender of Argus is a twofold card as it can either protect you or help you push a little harder. Tar Creeper is a good card but you do have two copies of Stonehill Defender which is four taunts in two cards. To round this all up, every card that I included benefits and combos with the two copies of both Shadowstep and Shadowcaster and the one copy of Youthful Brewmaster.  

I can understand the Gadgetzan Ferryman for the SI:7 Agent since they are both combo cards if I have too many cards relying purely on the Jade minions.  That keeps me with 6 combos in the deck.  But I'm leery of adding more combo cards as they aren't always the easiest to pull off, especially something like Vinespine Slayer.   I'd have to be holding some smaller cards in my hand and purposely not using them early just to be sure I have them for when Vinespine Slayer is available.  That has the potential to allow the board to get out of hand and I won't be able to pull it back later in the game (assuming there is a later).

Along with that, how can you be certain the benefit of Swashburglar's resulting card is going to be greater than Tar Creeper?  I've used Swashburglar before and normally what I end with isn't all that helpful, RNG being what it is.

3 minutes ago, Mursilis said:

I can understand the Gadgetzan Ferryman for the SI:7 Agent since they are both combo cards if I have too many cards relying purely on the Jade minions.  That keeps me with 6 combos in the deck.  But I'm leery of adding more combo cards as they aren't always the easiest to pull off, especially something like Vinespine Slayer.   I'd have to be holding some smaller cards in my hand and purposely not using them early just to be sure I have them for when Vinespine Slayer is available.  That has the potential to allow the board to get out of hand and I won't be able to pull it back later in the game (assuming there is a later).

Along with that, how can you be certain the benefit of Swashburglar's resulting card is going to be greater than Tar Creeper?  I've used Swashburglar before and normally what I end with isn't all that helpful, RNG being what it is.

The thing about Vilespine Slayer is you don't want to play him early. Besides, you have Mimic Pod that can possibly give you duplicates of cheap cards and you also have two Shadowcasters who can give you something cheap as well so there are a good amount of activators for him but if you feel him too situational I also suggested Defender of Argus in his place. As far as Swashburglar goes, yes his effect is purely RNG but he is cheap and the chances of getting something good right now are better in my opinion than not. The cards you get from him could potentially be activators while He himself is also an activator for your Combo cards if he is drawn later than turn one or two. Tar Creeper is a good card but I think it is too slow for a deck that already has some issues with speed. Replacing him with more proactive cards can make up for that. 

@Mursilis maybe this will help you better. This is a list for Dog's Jade Rogue and he is currently in the top 300 legend this month with it. I've seen it in action and it preforms very well. 

Dog's Jade Rogue.png 

1 hour ago, Phone said:

Just started playing Priest since opening lyra recently, not sure what this deck is supposed to be

akakka.png

It looks like you are going for control. Here is our Control Priest, check it out and maybe some of the other Priest decks for more ideas. 

finally i think i found the place i been looking for. first, i been free playing alot till recently, so not many legendaries, but i've got all the wings for every solo adventure since the beginning.  card wise, hmmm, i guess alot. i threw this deck together and it has got me to rank 16 in standard and in wild.  it works pretty well, i can win by turn 4 or 5, and i can take out that quest rogue too if the rng works in my favor. what would you classify this deck as? and what could i do to refine it? crafting is not a problem. gives me a goal to work for. i just call it my beast hunter. mainly it works beautiful if i go straight face. 

beast hunter.PNG

55 minutes ago, Anon8219 said:

finally i think i found the place i been looking for. first, i been free playing alot till recently, so not many legendaries, but i've got all the wings for every solo adventure since the beginning.  card wise, hmmm, i guess alot. i threw this deck together and it has got me to rank 16 in standard and in wild.  it works pretty well, i can win by turn 4 or 5, and i can take out that quest rogue too if the rng works in my favor. what would you classify this deck as? and what could i do to refine it? crafting is not a problem. gives me a goal to work for. i just call it my beast hunter. mainly it works beautiful if i go straight face. 

beast hunter.PNG

Starving Buzzard is an awful card. As a hunter, your goal in current meta is to control the board with powerful minions, rather than playing understatted minions. You should remove the Starving Buzzards, and replace them with Savannah Highmanes.
Volcanosaur has low stats as well, and even though he can be powerful if offered the right adapts, it is not something you can rely on, sadly. Infested Wolf should provide you with another beast, and improve your turn 4, as you don't have enough 4-drops.
Vicious Fledgling is more of a winmore card, requiring you to have a board, and even then it can only go face (at least the first two turns after playing it) in order for you to gain advantage of its ability. Second Infested Wolf seems better.
Stubborn Gastropods can be played, but I would honestly prefer Hunter's Mark, as it is more consistent, and since you play these cards reactively, and Stubborn Gastropod "triggers" at your opponent's turn most of the time, it gives your opponent time to deal with it, using weapons, divine shields and removal spells such as Wrath or Fiery War Axe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Starving Buzzard is an awful card. As a hunter, your goal in current meta is to control the board with powerful minions, rather than playing understatted minions. You should remove the Starving Buzzards, and replace them with Savannah Highmanes.
Volcanosaur has low stats as well, and even though he can be powerful if offered the right adapts, it is not something you can rely on, sadly. Infested Wolf should provide you with another beast, and improve your turn 4, as you don't have enough 4-drops.
Vicious Fledgling is more of a winmore card, requiring you to have a board, and even then it can only go face (at least the first two turns after playing it) in order for you to gain advantage of its ability. Second Infested Wolf seems better.
Stubborn Gastropods can be played, but I would honestly prefer Hunter's Mark, as it is more consistent, and since you play these cards reactively, and Stubborn Gastropod "triggers" at your opponent's turn most of the time, it gives your opponent time to deal with it, using weapons, divine shields and removal spells such as Wrath or Fiery War Axe.

sweet, gonna try those out. tyvm!

On 4/29/2017 at 7:38 PM, KingMe said:

The thing about Vilespine Slayer is you don't want to play him early. Besides, you have Mimic Pod that can possibly give you duplicates of cheap cards and you also have two Shadowcasters who can give you something cheap as well so there are a good amount of activators for him but if you feel him too situational I also suggested Defender of Argus in his place. As far as Swashburglar goes, yes his effect is purely RNG but he is cheap and the chances of getting something good right now are better in my opinion than not. The cards you get from him could potentially be activators while He himself is also an activator for your Combo cards if he is drawn later than turn one or two. Tar Creeper is a good card but I think it is too slow for a deck that already has some issues with speed. Replacing him with more proactive cards can make up for that. 

I see your points, as well as Dog's deck.  Seems I have to forgo the idea of an all-out Jade deck for Rogue and a more hybrid deck is the only viable option.  Thanks for the advice.

50 minutes ago, Mursilis said:

I see your points, as well as Dog's deck.  Seems I have to forgo the idea of an all-out Jade deck for Rogue and a more hybrid deck is the only viable option.  Thanks for the advice.

Glad I could help. I know it sucks though, I did play with the idea myself for a straight Jade Rogue for a minute in the beginning but I had to go with, more or less, what I was telling you to make it work. 

49 minutes ago, KingMe said:

@Anon8219 if you are looking for decent draw in a Hunter right now try squeezing in Cult Master, it's much faster than Starving Buzzard.

Her stats are bad as well, which is not really acceptable for midrange hunter, as stats are what the deck revolves around. Hunters will simply have to accept that they do not have any good draw minions or spells (that's why Quick Shot was a must-have), and their only refill mechanic in standard is Jeweled Macaw. That's why card management is so important for hunters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, positiv2 said:

Her stats are bad as well, which is not really acceptable for midrange hunter, as stats are what the deck revolves around. Hunters will simply have to accept that they do not have any good draw minions or spells (that's why Quick Shot was a must-have), and their only refill mechanic in standard is Jeweled Macaw. That's why card management is so important for hunters. 

While I do agree her stats are very poor, she is a better card draw option over Starving Buzzard in terms of overall consistency. She can coin out on turn 3 while you have a board of 1/1's, clear a few minions and get a few draws in the process or other scenarios similar to that example. I only mention it as an option because I have seen it being used and have used it as a single copy myself a handful of times and it works fairly well.  I do agree with your changes to the deck, I just thought I would throw an extra option out there if card draw was something they were really after. 

Sharing my Jade Rogue type , and saying there is no other possibility to play a deathrattle style , because is the best way to get tougher golems(experimented with many , many , many games) and i founded it faster than every other jade-class-type deck :

Counterfeit Coin x2

Backstab x2

Shadowstep x2

Preparation x2

Journey Below x2

Jade Swarmer x2

Jade Shuriken x2

Sunfury Protector x2

Mimic Pod x2

Spiritsinger Umbra x1

Infested Tauren x2

Xaril, Poisoned Mind x1

Aya Blackpaw x1 

Gadgetzan Auctioneer x2

N'Zoth, the Corruptor x1 

Arcane Giant x2

this will be different when i can craft Barnes

Edited by OroNerVoSo

I've been running this version of Quest Mage and I thought I would post it here for you guys not only because I believe it has potential, but I have yet to see the Quest Mage emphasize the entire mage "secret package." There are other creatures which can play secrets for free but I felt that simply the waygate quest can't include them on top of everything else I need to, a) trigger the quest b) win conditions, which in my deck consists of Kabal Crystal Runner Ethereal Arcanist Archmage Antonidas Medivh, the Guardian AND direct damage spells discovered, stolen, or generated randomly from Babbling Book type mechanics. I must stress that I am not interested in dropping the secret theme. I am also aware of the otk versions of quest mage, however I'm not interested in that style of play exclusively. When playing this deck I try and squeeze out lethal damage over 2 or 3 consecutive turns via Ice Block and Time Warp

"secret package"

Arcanologist

Medivh's Valet

Avian Watcher

Ethereal Arcanist

Kabal Crystal Runner

secret Quest.png

As you may already know this deck is pretty slow. And because of the randomly generated spells, I don't always get relevant cards to the situation. I sometimes switch in Cult Apothecary but its still a clunky card. I've been thinking of adding a second Blizzard as well as more removal. The Polymorph is there incase I need to remove a taunt minion standing in the way of my minions and lethal face damage

Edited by Cherubrock

13 hours ago, Cherubrock said:

snip

I won't touch secret related cards because you obviously run those for the fun factor. Same applies for having no direct damage spells in the deck.  Kabal Chemist is a mediocre card and it is way, way worse than Kabal Courier if you want to get random spells. Defender of Argus looks very weird in this deck, especially with zero 3 cost minions. His value is minimal. Medivh, the Guardian needs big spells to give real value, you have none and hoping to get 7+ ones at random is a gambling that will rarely work 

Edited by Strongpoint
  • Like 1

secret related cards that are undoubtedly worth their slots: Kabal Crystal Runner, Arcanologist, Medivhs Valet, I agree with the rest of your points to a certain degree

I wanted to make a Lich king deck revolving around a defensive paladin setup based on the wow expansion. so far its worked really well for me but I feel like there's room for improvement, it just feels like the deck is missing something.

x2 Forbidden Healing

x2 Argent Protector

X2 Boneguard Lieutenant

x2 Grimestreet Outfitter

x2 Unstable Ghoul

x1 Haunted Creeper

x2 Aldor Peacekeeper

x2 Argent Horserider

x2 Divine Favor

x2 Flesheating Ghoul

x2Sword of Justice

x2 Consecration