Farming/Upgrading Legendary Gems and Crafting Normal Gems
Gems can be found in either legendary or non-legendary forms, with the latter simply granting flat stat buffs. The former provide special effects that are often integral to a build's playstyle and can completely change the potential of a build.
This page covers the gems that are currently available, as well as their effects and information on each.
Gems can be unsocketed at will and higher level gems can be used on any character, so spending gold to upgrade non-legendary gems or farming for legendary gems (and upgrading them) is never a waste. Depending on your amount of play, you will also likely need to keep farming and leveling them to fulfil the Augment recipe in Kanai's Cube.
Non-legendary gems or normal gems come in 5 possible types: Amethyst, Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, and Topaz. Each of this type of gem gives you different stat bonuses for different item slots.
|Gem Type||Stats on Helms||Stats on Weapons||Stats on Other Item Slots|
|Amethysts||% Life||Life per Hit||Vitality|
|Diamonds||Cooldown Reduction||+Damage to Elites||All Resistance|
|Emeralds||Extra Gold||Critical Hit Damage||Dexterity|
|Topazes||Resource Cost Reduction||Thorns Damage||Intelligence|
At Level 70, the most basic gems you can find are Marquise gems, for example Marquise Emerald. You can upgrade these gems all the way to Flawless Royal Emerald. All the gem types follow the same upgrade patterns, which we describe below for Emerald gems.
- 1x Imperial Emerald costs 3x Marquise Emerald + 200,000 Gold.
- 1x Flawless Imperial Emerald costs 3x Imperial Emerald + 300,000 Gold.
- 1x Royal Emerald costs 3x Flawless Imperial Emerald + 1x Death's Breath + 400,000 Gold.
- 1x Flawless Royal Emerald costs 3x Royal Emerald + 1x Death's Breath + 500,000 Gold.
This means that to craft a single Flawless Royal Emerald, you will need a total of 81x Marquise Emerald, 4x Death's Breath, and 9,800,000 Gold. Imperial gems do sometimes drop at Level 70, so having a few of those will lower the cost, but the overall cost is extremely cheap compared to the amount of gold you will find at Level 70.
You also need to find the Jeweler's patterns for these gems, which can be found in the Bounty Cache you obtain from completing 5 bounties in a single act.
Legendary gems are obtained from Greater Rifts. You are guaranteed to get one every time you kill a Greater Rift Guardian.
Upgrading a Legendary Gem
Unlike normal gems, legendary gems can only be increased in power by upgrading them through Greater Rifts.
Each time you complete a greater rift, you will be able to upgrade the gem by a single rank, with 3 guaranteed chances at an upgrade if you complete the rift in time. Additionally, you will get an extra chance if you do not die during the rift or if you empower it when starting the rift using gold. By doing both, you can have a maximum of 5 upgrade chances per Greater Rift.
Each upgrade is given a percentage chance to succeed, dependant on the level of the gem and the Greater Rift level you completed. Currently, the chances are as follows:
- 100%: Greater Rift Level higher than or equal to Gem's Rank + 10;
- 90%: Greater Rift Level ≥ Gem's Rank + 9;
- 80%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank + 8;
- 70%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank + 7;
- 60%: Gem's Rank + 6 ≥ Greater Rift Level ≥ 0;
- 30%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 1;
- 15%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 2;
- 8%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 3;
- 4%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 4;
- 2%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 5;
- 1%: Greater Rift Level = Gem's Rank - 6;
- 0%: Greater Rift Level ≤ Gem's Rank - 7.
All legendary gems can be upgraded to give them better stats (or rather, more powerful effects). When you first loot a legendary gem, it has a rank of 0 and its special Rank 25 effect is locked.
List of Legendary Gems
There are currently 23 legendary gems in the game, with 22 readily available at any time and 1 seasonal gem.
- Bane of the Powerful — grants 20% increased damage for 30
seconds after killing an elite pack. Each upgrade increases the duration of the
effect by 1 second.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain 15% increased damage versus elites and take 15% reduced damage from elites.
- Bane of the Stricken — each attack you make against an enemy increases
the damage it takes from your attacks 0.8%. Each upgrade increases the damage
increase by 0.01%.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain 25% increased damage against Rift Guardians and bosses.
- Bane of the Trapped — increases damage done to enemies under
control-impairing effects by 15%. Each upgrade increases the damage increase by 0.3%.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain an aura that slows the movement speed of enemies within 15 yards by 30%.
- Boon of the Hoarder — 25% chance on killing an enemy to create an
explosion of gold. Each upgrade increases the chance by 1.5%.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain 30% movement speed for 3 seconds after picking up gold.
- Note: this gem cannot be upgraded past Rank 50.
- Boyarsky's Chip — Adds 16000 Thorns. Each upgrade increases the
amount by 800.
- Rank 25 bonus — taunt the first enemy hit by Primary skills for 2 seconds.
- Enforcer — increases the damage of your pets by 15%. Each
upgrade increases the damage by 0.3%.
- Rank 25 bonus — your pets take 90% less damage.
- Esoteric Alteration — gain 10% non-Physical damage reduction.
Each upgrade increases the damage reduction by 0.5%.
- Rank 25 bonus — while below half Life, your resistances to Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, and Arcane are increased by 75%.
- Gem of Ease — monster kills grant 500 additional experience. Each
upgrade gives an additional 50 experience.
- Rank 25 bonus — the level requirement of the weapon this is socketed into is set to 1.
- Gem of Efficacious Toxin — poison all enemies hit for 2000% damage
as Poison over 10 seconds. Each upgrade increases the damage dealt by 50%.
- Rank 25 bonus — poisoned enemies also take 10% increased damage from all sources and deal 10% less damage with all attacks.
- Gogok of Swiftness — on each hit, gain 1% increased Attack Speed
and 0.5% Dodge chance for 4 seconds, stacking up to 15 times. Each upgrade increases
the dodge chance per hit by 0.01%.
- Rank 25 bonus — also gain 1% cooldown reduction per stack of Swiftness.
- Iceblink — your Cold skills now apply Chill effects and your
Chill effects now slow enemy movement speed by an additional 5%. Each upgrade
increases the additional movement speed reduction by 0.4%.
- Rank 25 bonus — you gain 10% increased chance to critically strike Chilled or Frozen enemies.
- Invigorating Gemstone — each hit done increases healing received
by 1% for 5 seconds, stacking up to 10 times. Each upgrade increases the additional
healing by 0.02%.
- Rank 25 bonus — become immune to control impairing effects.
- Legacy of Dreams — while you have no set bonuses equipped, every
Legendary item you have equipped increases your damage by 3.75% and reduces
your damage taken by 2%. Each upgrade increases the additional damage by 3.75%.
- Rank 25 bonus — this bonus is doubled for Ancient items.
- Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver — 15% chance on hit to smite a
nearby enemy for 3000% damage as Holy, healing the character for 3% of maximum
Life. Each upgrade increases the damage by 60%.
- Rank 25 bonus — Smite a nearby enemy every 3 seconds.
- Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard — regenerates 10,000 Life per second.
Each upgrade increases the amount by 1,000.
- Rank 25 bonus — after not taking damage for 4 seconds, gain an absorb shield for 200% of your total Life per Second.
- Moratorium — 35% of all damage taken is instead staggered and
dealt to the character over 3 seconds. Each upgrade increases the stagger duration
- Rank 25 bonus — 20% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.
- Mutilation Guard — gain 10% melee damage reduction. Each upgrade
increases the reduction by 0.5%.
- Rank 25 bonus — while below 50% Life, you may move through enemies unhindered.
- Pain Enhancer — Critical hits cause enemies to bleed for 2,500%
damage as Physical over 3 seconds. Each upgrade increases the damage by 50%.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain Blood Frenzy, granting 3% increased Attack Speed for each bleeding enemy within 20 yards.
- Simplicity's Strength — increases the damage of Primary skills by
25%. Each upgrade increases the damage bonus by 0.5%.
- Rank 25 bonus — Primary skills heal for 4% of maximum Life on hit.
- Taeguk — gain 2% increased damage for 1.5 seconds for each tick
of a channelled skill, stacking up to 10 times. Each upgrade increases the damage
bonus by 0.04%.
- Rank 25 bonus — gain 2% increased Armor for every stack.
- Wreath of Lightning — 15% chance on hitting an enemy to gain a
Wreath of Lightning, dealing 1250% damage as Lightning every second to nearby
enemies for 3 seconds. Each upgrade increases the damage amount by 25%.
- Rank 25 bonus — while under the effect of the Wreath, gain 25% increased movement speed.
- Zei's Stone of Vengeance — damage dealt to each enemy hit is increased
by 4% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit, with a maximum increase of
20% at 50 yards. Each upgrade increases the damage bonus by 0.08% per 10 yards
and increases the maximum bonus at maximum range by 0.4%.
- Rank 25 bonus — 20% chance on hit to Stun the enemy hit for 1 second.
There is 1 legendary gem that is not listed above, which is the Anniversary Event gem, Red Soul Shard. You can learn more about this in our Darkening of Tristram guide for the 20th Anniversary Event.
Gems in Kanai's Cube
Gems are a vital component of multiple recipes in Kanai's Cube, including gem type swapping and augments.
You can find out more about both in our overview of Kanai's Cube below.
- 19 Nov. 2019: Added guide.
- Possible Diablo 3 Season 22 Delay and Diablo 4 Q3 Update
- Diablo Lilith Statue Arrives to Buyers Ahead of October 16
- Remastered Diablo Intro Cinematic
- 10,000+ Stacks of the Seasonal Buff, With No End in Sight! Wudijo Goes Crazy Stackin'
- Double Bounties Buff Only Available to Seasonal Characters
- S21 Rank 1 4-man GR 150 Runs for US, EU and Asia: Sub-4 Minute Achieved!
- The Pacifist Run: Player Finishes Diablo 3 Story Without Doing Anything (No Attacking, Abilities or Followers)
- Diablo PC Review from 1997
- Masquerade Bone Spear Necromancer
- Mundunugu Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor
- What is the best class for doing lots of GR (greater rifts)
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Holy Shotgun Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Monk Inna's Mantra Set Dungeon
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Impale Demon Hunter (Patch 2.6.4)