Avarice Conquest Guide
Table of Contents
- 1. Overview of the Avarice Conquest
- +2. Obtaining the Avarice Conquest
- 3. Recommended Builds for the Avarice Conquest
- 4. ChangeLog
1. Overview of the Avarice Conquest
The Avarice (Avaritia for Hardcore) conquest requires that you complete a 50 million gold streak while outside The Vault and The Inner Sanctum. Since it requires a modest amount of preparation and resides slightly outside of the core gameplay loop (you usually do not care about creating gold streaks), this conquest is rated as medium difficulty.
2. Obtaining the Avarice Conquest
The first and foremost step you need to take when aiming for the Avarice conquest is to adjust the difficulty to the highest you can handle while still oneshotting trash. A full class set can easily propel you through the Torment difficulties, where the natural Gold Find bonuses will assist a large portion of the Conquest on their own. Avarice can be obtained on as low as Torment VI (a trivial difficulty when wearing a set) and its 1600% gold find multiplier. Those bonuses jump to 2150% at Torment VIII, 2900% at Torment X, and all the way to 4500% at Torment XIII. Remember that with this strategy you will mostly be clearing trash, so pick a comfortable difficulty for that purpose.
The second most important factor in the success of Avarice is using the legendary gem Boon of the Hoarder. Boon of the Hoarder is a legendary gem obtainable from Greed's Domain — the hidden realm of treasure goblins. Every goblin kill outside Rifts has a chance to spawn a portal to that place. You can also open a portal by yourself by using a Puzzle Ring in Kanai's Cube. The legendary gem specifically drops from the realm's end boss, Greed herself. Socketing this gem grants a chance for extra gold drops from killed enemies (up to 100% at its max rank 50), and increases your movement speed by 30% while picking up gold past rank 25. Both the extra gold and the extra movement speed will greatly improve the chance of obtaining this conquest. If you combine the power of this gem with the Act III cache legendary Avarice Band for its extra pickup radius, you can consider your chances more than doubled.
The third major step of completion is picking the actual place of your attempt. Notice that the conquest explicitly forbids The Vault and The Inner Sanctum, both of which reside in Greed's Domain and would trivialize the challenge. With that in mind, you will be looking for congregations of high number, low health trash to maximize Boon of the Hoarder with. The ideal locations are:
- Ruins of Corvus (Act V) — the labyrinthine dungeon and its plentiful small scarab spawns are the default recommendation. The usual tactic is to run through the location once — not killing anything, but causing the scarab swarms to crawl down the walls. Once you have gone decently deep in the dungeon and hit a dead end, retread your steps — only this time, killing the plentiful trash on your way. This location will very reliably get you Avarice.
- Fields of Misery (Act I) — this wide open area has plentiful low health trash. Simply start from the waypoint, hit an edge of the map, and do a circular clear of the location from there.
- The Cow Level — a portal to which opens by using a Bovine Bardiche in Kanai's Cube. This is an upgraded version of a Fields of Misery run, offering higher rewards and bountiful chests that practically ensure you attain Avarice. You can easily work around the item component requirement by upgrading rare polearms on a Crusader alt; the class' low legendary pool of the type will get you a Bovine Bardiche easily.
Carrying an unopened Cache or two from bounties can add extra safety to the attempt — if at any point it starts to look like the streak will break, simply pop the Cache and buy yourself some seconds. Also, the three locations offered above are by no means the only places you can get Avarice; it can easily occur while farming a dense Nephalem Rift. You can also double dip from a Cursed Chest if you are doing the "Curses!" conquest.
More than an item's worth of Gold Find can come from Paragon points. Your Utility Paragon tab holds bonuses to Area Damage, Life per Hit, Resource Cost Reduction and Gold Find. Even at earlier Paragon levels, you can easily respec your points for a quick boost of Gold Find without losing meaningful character efficiency. Remember that Paragons can be freely redistributed at any time.
Slot the highest tier Emerald gem you have in your helm, preferably Flawless Royal Emerald. At the highest gem tier, this will net you 41% extra Gold Find — and you can easily afford the loss of CDR or Life % from your usual gem for a quick Avarice run.
You have two major legendary items that can greatly improve your chances at completing the Avarice conquest. The first (and easier) addition is Leoric's Crown, which doubles the effectiveness of the gem slotted in your helm. You can either wear it or, better yet, select it in Kanai's Cube armor slot. If you have a Ring of Royal Grandeur at your disposal, you can also wear Goldskin for its natural 100% increase to Gold Find and the extra gold drop legendary affix. If you have not found (or saved) either of these items, consider the Upgrade Rare recipe in the Cube — they are both fairly common and should occur within a handful of upgraded rare helms or chests.
Last but not least, remember to equip a pet (from the cosmetics menu, default to F1). Pets help picking up gold to keep the streak going.
2.1. The Cache Method
There is an alternative, albeit more time consuming method, that completely removes the RNG aspect of the runs outlined above. Bounty Caches yield fixed amounts of gold, dependent on the difficulty you get them on. To put it simply, you will need about 50 caches saved up from high difficulty bounty runs, or slightly more from lower difficulties, if you want to obtain Avarice straight from opening caches. Some examples:
- 57 caches (or 12 complete bounty runs) on Torment VIII;
- 46 caches (or 10 complete bounty runs) on Torment XI;
- 43 caches (or 9 complete bounty runs) on Torment XIII;
The benefit of this method is that you will gain a good amount of crafting materials that you are bound to need in the Season anyway, so you get two birds with one stone.
As you open the caches, it is EXTREMELY important to stand still and unequip any pet you currently have! Both will cause the picking of gold to start prematurely and can easily ruin your gold streak. The goal is to do a short circular motion around the bounty drops once all caches are open, getting the Avarice conquest in one burst.
3. Recommended Builds for the Avarice Conquest
The following builds are not the only ones capable of getting Avarice done, but have been picked for their easy adjustment into the item recommendations above and their good AoE and maneuverability (key for the completion of the conquest).
- Barbarian: Whirlwind Build;
- Crusader: Bombardment Build;
- Demon Hunter: Multishot Build;
- Monk: Wave of Light Build;
- Necromancer: Blood Mages Build;
- Witch Doctor: Gargantuan Build;
- Wizard: Explosive Blast Build.
- 08 Nov. 2017: Added guide.
- Shadow Impale Demon Hunter
- Lightning Archon Wizard
- Monk The Thrill Conquest
- Monk Sunwuko Set Dungeon
- Wizard missing Teleport spell
- Salvage Guide
- Demon Hunter The Thrill Conquest
- Meteor Wizard