HotA Raekor Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
Raekor HotA Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
The Raekor HotA Barbarian deals excellently with Normal Rifts and Bounty farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. This variation is highly recommended for Rifts in particular, since it is able to fit in the Sage's set for Death's Breath farming. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Furious Charge Merciless Assault Hammer of the Ancients Smash 1 Battle Rage Ferocity 2 Sprint Marathon 3 Call of the Ancients Together as One 4 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
In a Reakor HotA build, Furious Charge is at the heart of your rotation, used both as a mobility and damage amplification tool from the Raekor set. During speedfarming, take advantage of the burst potential of HotA builds and try to jump from elite to elite, killing trash enemies as collateral damage instead of them being the focus. Build up Furious Charge stacks and dump them with reckless abandon through Hammer of the Ancients, keeping Ignore Pain and Battle Rage up at all times and Sprint in between packs if necessary. Apply Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients as soon as they come off cooldown — hopefully with minimal downtime due to In-geom procs.
Adapting Skills and Passives
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Hammer of the Ancients remains the main damage dealing skill, along with the highest damage dealing rune — Smash.
- Furious Charge retains its role as a movement and damage amplification skill (due to the Raekor set bonuses).
- Battle Rage is present in the speed farming build as well, but the rune is swapped from the progression-oriented Bloodshed to the extra movement speed of Ferocity.
- When you are solo speed farming, use the slot usually occupied by Ignore Pain for the short bursts of speed from Sprint Marathon — useful when there is no one to Furious Charge to, and especially so in Bounties. If you are clearing standard rifts with a group, you can consider using War Cry in this slot and cubing Chilanik's Chain for the party-wide movement speed buff.
- Wrath of the Berserker Insanity is an omnipresent self-buff in both versions of the build, with a complementary Call of the Ancients to attain the Remorseless damage multiplier.
- Rampage, Ruthless and Boon of Bul-Kathos are still a solid foundation of your passive selection.
- In your passives, you can optionally replace Brawler with the globe-fueled movement speed bonuses of Pound of Flesh.
This build takes advantage of the full Raekor set bonus, incorporating five of the six set pieces available and cubing a Ring of Royal Grandeur to complete its powers. Since this is a Hammer of the Ancients-centric playstyle, you will have to keep Bracers of the First Men as a cornerstone piece of your damage output.
This is a speed farming build that can take advantage of the inclusion of the Sage's Journey set for extra Death's Breath drops, and we recommend that you do so. Replace Pride of Cassius with Sage's Ribbon and one Raekor piece of your choice with another Sage piece — Sage's Apogee, Sage's Passage, or Sage's Purchase. You are not forced to, of course, and you can opt to retain the traditional 6-piece Raekor setup with Pride of Cassius, and potentially include Focus and Restraint as your speed farming rings.
As noted above, your jewelry during farming can be the Bastions of Will set ( Focus and Restraint); however, once you perfect your character and no longer want for burst, you should use utility-focused jewelry instead. A combination of Avarice Band and Band of Might (for protection) or a Fire damage Stone of Jordan (for consistent extra DPS) will serve you much better during farming. The union of Avarice Band with Boon of the Hoarder will greatly improve your speed, as well as feed into your gold reserve for the costly GR empowerments.
Complement these rings either with a Hellfire Amulet of Strength with a synergistic fifth passive, or with a Squirt's Necklace for another massive damage multiplier (make a point to swap Bane of the Powerful for Molten Wildebeest's Gizzard if you opt for the latter). The former favorite for the amulet slot, The Flavor of Time, is not recommended in solo play simply because it can be worn by the follower and emanated onto you — but should be worn during group play.
During speed farming, the value of attack speed from Echoing Fury drops off, since fights will be much shorter — almost down to one-shots, in fact. As such, swap this slot out for In-geom, whose elite kill-based CDR procs will greatly improve your Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients uptimes.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Boon of the Hoarder is a great speed farming inclusion, as it increases both your gold income (necessary for empowering GRs) as well as your movement speed. Early on in character progression, if you are not comfortable with your toughness (or if you are doing a Death's Breath farming alteration), you can use the defensive bulwark of Esoteric Alteration in this slot.
|Torso and Pants|
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Cubing the The Gavel of Judgment is a natural choice for a HotA-centric build, since this two handed mighty weapon is the basis of your Fury management with its refund mechanic, and also offers a massive skill damage bonus.
In speedfarming, a well-progressed character should not need the overkill buffs of Mortick's Brace; stay with that item for early progression, but transition as soon as you are comfortable into speedfarming staples like Warzechian Armguards (solo play) or Nemesis Bracers (in groups).
As mentioned above, in order to maintain the Raekor and Sage set bonuses in full, you will have to use Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry Cube slot. In case you opt out of the Death's Breath farming option, you should use a speedfarm-appropriate item like Avarice Band in this slot.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
The recommended follower for this build during standard rift farming for keys is the Enchantress due to her numerous utility bonuses, allowing you to smooth out your speed runs even further.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
The preferred potion for this build is Bottomless Potion of the Leech due to its Life per Hit bonuses, which synergize perfectly for the high attack speed and sustain-through-attacks playstyle of the build.
- 31 Mar. 2021: Revised gear and skill recommendations, and added follower recommendation.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 30 Jun. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 19 Nov. 2019: Guide revised and updated for Season 19.
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Release Date Is September 23rd
- Season 24 and Patch 2.7.1 Notes, PTR on the 17th
- Global Battle.net Rolling Out Today
- No BlizzCon Planned for 2021
- IGN Report on Blizzard Departures and the Company's Future, With Insider Info
- All Armor Looks for All Classes in Diabo 2: Resurrected
- From the Vault: The Overwatch Anniversary 2021 Collection Live on the Blizzard Store
- Enthusiast Gaming Acquires Icy Veins