Seismic Slam Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of Seismic Slam Barbarian. Updated for patch 2.6.8 and Season 20.
Might of the Earth Seismic Slam Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
The Seismic Slam Barbarian can deal reasonably well with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation suffers from minor inconveniences compared to top tier speed farming builds (conflicting bracers, competing belts), but otherwise handles the task with ease. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Seismic Slam Permafrost Leap Death from Above 1 Battle Rage Ferocity 2 War Cry Impunity 3 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity 4 Call of the Ancients Ancients' Fury|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
Similarly to the GR progression base build, Seismic Slam Barbs will maintain both Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients at all times during speed farming — in standard rifts however, you will be relying on In-geom resets, so prioritize elite hunting overall. Buffs like Battle Rage and War Cry should be cast at regular intervals, mostly to maintain their speed buffs — from Ferocity and Chilanik's Chain respectively. Naturally, you will decimate your foes with Seismic Slams and reposition around the rifts with Leap.
Adapting Skills and Passives
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Your main damage dealer remains Seismic Slam, with its strongest rune — Permafrost.
- Your movement tool is still Leap, as it ties into the set too neatly to be ignored. The rune of choice is still Death from Above.
- You should exchange the damage-oriented Bloodshed rune of Battle Rage, which is better suited to the damage demands of GR pushing, for the speed buff of the Ferocity rune.
- War Cry Veteran's Warning is also present in the speed farming version of the build, and aside from its survivability value, it adds a movement speed buff angle via the equipped Chilanik's Chain.
- Call of the Ancients remains on your skill bar, but due to the loss of Fury of the Ancients in the Cube, you will have to slot the Ancients' Fury rune on your bar.
- Wrath of the Berserker Insanity is an omnipresent self-buff in both versions of the build.
- Rampage, Ruthless and Boon of Bul-Kathos are still a solid foundation of your passive selection.
- In your passives, you can optionally replace No Escape with the globe-fueled movement speed bonuses of Pound of Flesh.
Most of the gear from the Greater Rift progression build will still make sense for speed farming, but a few variations will be necessary in order to maximize your productivity and momentum during regular Rift clears.
You are still relying on the Might of the Earth 6-piece set bonus, and unlike the GR progression main build, it will not be necessary to mix in the Cpt. Crmison set — allowing you to equip all 6 MotE pieces and free up the Cube for other jewelry.
Both the balancing act of the Endless Walk set and the sustain attack-based cooldown resets of Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac greatly diminish in usefulness during Normal Rift farming. That progresion-oriented jewelry will be better replaced by a split between a Cold damage Stone of Jordan (for the permanent damage increase) and an Avarice Band (for the synergy with Boon of the Hoarder). Complemented these rings with The Flavor of Time, which doubles the duration of Pylons that you find during rifting.
When doing runs in the Torment difficulties, the toughness and damage from the Cpt. Crimson set will be overkill, so you can easily replace the belt with either Chilanik's Chain (for the extra movement speed when you use War Cry) or Goldwrap (its combo with Boon of the Hoarder and a cubed Avarice Band can render you practically immortal as long as you pick up gold).
During speed farming, you will be better off using the utility-driven combo of In-geom and Fjord Cutter. The former will ensure an unbroken chain of Wrath of the Berserker activations despite the lesser Seismic Slam spam in standard rifts, while the latter will reward you for it with a massive damage bonus to your main damage skill.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Bane of the Trapped remains a universally desired damage amplification gem.
During Normal Rift runs, you can also swap Gogok of Swiftness out for Boon of the Hoarder to encase yourself in a near-impenetrable layer of defense and speed from the interaction with the (potentially) worn Goldwrap and Avarice Band.
|Torso and Pants||
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Fury of the Vanished Peak is non-negotiable in Seismic Slam builds, since a large part of your damage and resource management stem from its power.
Freed up from the Ring of Royal Grandeur required in the GR build (where it helps to fit both MotE and Cpt. Crimson), the speed farming build is able to take Band of Might in its stead for some extra mitigation that fits snugly into your rotation, or adjust to other, quirkier alternatives — i.e. Squirt's Necklace.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 19 Nov. 2019: Guide revised and updated for Season 19.
- 28 Aug. 2019: Fixed diablo3.com build link.
- 22 Aug. 2019: Item and skill recommendations are revised for Season 18.
- 13 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 28 Feb. 2018: Added the guide.
- 25 Years of Warcraft Anniversary Video 8K Upscale
- The Blizzard April Fools Archive and Highlights
- The Best WarCraft Meme(s) of All Time
- Challenge Rift 145 Guides
- Blizzard Sending Out Classic Burning Crusade Character Creation Surveys
- Diablo Community Manager Nevalistis Leaves Blizzard
- Challenge Rift 144 Guides
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- Frozen Orb Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoD Hydra Wizard
- Goblin Farming Guide
- LoD Poison Nova Necromancer
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Monk Sunwuko Set Dungeon
- Fever Clan recruiting for Season
- Mundunugu Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor