Support Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
HotNS Support Barbarian Speed Farming Variation
The Support Barbarian is also quite valuable during experience farming in Greater Rifts, albeit bringing slightly different utility and playstyle to the table compared to the GR pushing setups. We have solo speed GR rankings and solo speed T16 rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of difficulty inside Greater Rift tiers related to XP farming, the necessity of pulls lessens compared to additional utility and speed.
|Furious Charge Merciless Assault Sprint Forced March 1 Leap Iron Impact 2 Threatening Shout Falter 3 Ignore Pain Mob Rule 4 War Cry Veteran's Warning|
A large part of your rotation will remain the same during speed farming; you will still be the leader of the pack, pushing the rest of the party along with speed buffs like War Cry (empowered by Chilanik's Chain) and the speedfarm-appropriate Sprint Forced March. You will also ensure the protection of your DPS teammates by applying and overlapping the effect of Ignore Pain Mob Rule. You will alternate mobility with Furious Charge and Leap, getting to enemies first and debuffing them with Threatening Shout for the convenience of your DPS party members.
Adapting Skills and Passives
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. The ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Ignore Pain Mob Rule, War Cry Veteran's Warning, and Threatening Shout Falter will be maintained from the main GR progression build, as the three skills still bring tremendous utility to GR XP farm as well. Your mobility staple continues to be Furious Charge Merciless Assault across all variants.
- Ground Stomp can be maintained from the progression build, especially if you are grouped with a Witch Doctor DPS — in that case, simply alternate the rune from Wrenching Smash to Jarring Slam to feed your WD teammate Health Globes for his Gruesome Feast passive. In a group with a Necromancer DPS, you should alternate this slot to Sprint Forced March to further party mobility.
- Ancient Spear Rage Flip can be kept from the main build (especially in a group with WDs), or altered to Leap Iron Impact for some extra mobility with the lesser demand for pulls from Necromancer teammates.
- Your passives will be maintained from the progression build — Superstition, Nerves of Steel, Pound of Flesh and Relentless — as they all bring invaluable utility to speed farming as well.
Some of the gear from the Greater Rift progression build will still make sense for speed farming, but a few variations will be necessary in order to maximize your productivity and momentum during speed GR clears.
You will still maintain the 2-piece Horde of the Ninety Savages set, as its Shout-doubling effect brings just as much value in speed farming as it does in progression. Note that you will have to alter the HotNS pieces selection however, since your helm slot will be occupied by Leoric's Crown, and your pants and gloves slots will be taken by the craftable Cain's Destiny set pieces ( Cain's Scrivener and Cain's Habit respectively) for the extra experience gain. This leaves you with Spines of Savages and Markings of Savages. Refer to the table below for a specific breakdown of the worn pieces.
Your jewelry setup will remain largely unchanged, keeping Oculus Ring and either The Flavor of Time or Rondal's Locket. Since this setup uses the exact number necessary to obtain its set bonuses however, you do not need Ring of Royal Grandeur from the progression build and can comfortably fit the extra defense from Band of Might, easily kept up via Furious Charge.
Utility slots like Strongarm Bracers (for the damage buff to your DPS), Pride of Cassius (for the extra Ignore Pain Mob Rule duration) and Illusory Boots (for your own mobility) remain unchanged from the progression setup. You will add to them Leoric's Crown for additional value from your socketed gem.
Since protective weaponry like the Istvan's set or the Pig Sticker - Stormshield combo are quite the toughness overkill in speed farming, your weaponry combo is best changed to the CDR utility of In-geom and movement and attack speed buff of Echoing Fury.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Season 28: Altar of Rites
Season 28 comes with the theme of the Altar of Rites — a powerful new account-wide and Season-specific progression system that brings tremendous offensive and defensive buffs to every seasonal character. For virtually all builds and players of all skill levels — from casual to advanced — we recommend progressing through the Altar tree using the path outlined below. The suggested path is geared towards maximum quality of life first, then amplifying damage, and then mopping up the tree with defensive and edge case utility nodes.
Note that while they require reaching them with a Seal, Legendary Potion Powers are not part of the Seal cost system; Potions unlock with a separate resource called Primordial Ashes, obtained from salvaging Legendary or Set items of Primal (red bordered) quality. Upgrade them as soon as possible, and in the order shown below (courtesy of Caleko's Altar of Rites planner).
You can read more on the Altar of Rites, Seals and Legendary Potion Powers in our dedicated Altar of Rites Mechanics guide.
All three legendary gems from the progression setup remain just as useful during speed farming: Wreath of Lightning, Gogok of Swiftness, and Gem of Efficacious Toxin should all be present in your build. As far as regular gems are concerned, you should consider socketing a Flawless Royal Ruby in your helm when you grow comfortable with the build, to assist with the group XP gain.
|Torso and Pants||
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
You have several viable options for the weapons slot in Kanai's Cube depending on your GR goals. For high-end GR progression, the general recommendation for this slot is The Executioner for its culling proc on enemies below 10% health.
One core Kanai's Cube item is Chilanik's Chain for the armor slot. This belt provides a party-wide movement speed buff when you activate War Cry, essential both during XP runs (for efficiency) and progression content (to skip bad fights). As mentioned above, this slot is interchangeable with Pride of Cassius depending on your better rolled item.
Your jewelry slot will ideally be taken by The Flavor of Time, freeing up your amulet slot for the globe radius-enhancing powers of Rondal's Locket. Other viable amulets for the slot are the immunity-based ones, such as The Star of Azkaranth or Xephirian Amulet.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Added Season 28 Altar of Rites recommendations.
- 26 Aug. 2022: Added Season 27 Angelic Crucible recommendations.
- 13 Apr. 2022: Guide reviewed for Season 26.
- 09 Dec. 2021: Added Season 25 Soul Shard recommendations.
- 22 Jul. 2021: Added S24 Ethereal recommendation.
- 31 Mar. 2021: No changes required for Season 23.
- 18 Nov. 2020: Added S22 Cube recommendation.
- 30 Jun. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: Page added.
More Barbarian Guides
Builds from Other Classes
- Landslide Druid Leveling Guide for Diablo 4
- The Best Diablo 4 Beta Farm Spots
- Diablo 4 Open Beta Known Issues: March 24th
- Best Guides for Diablo 4 Open Beta
- New NVIDIA Graphics Driver Available for Download Ahead of Diablo 4 Beta
- Diablo 4 Beta Tips and Useful Information
- Legendary Item Drop Rates, Dungeon Variety, Butcher Details and More: Diablo 4 Developer Comments
- Blizzard Details Expectations for the Diablo 4 Open Beta