Ring of Royal Grandeur: Drop / Farming / Explanations
Table of Contents
- 1. What is the Ring of Royal Grandeur?
- 2. How to farm Ring of Royal Grandeur?
- 3. Where and when to use Ring of Royal Grandeur?
- 4. What are the related/synergistic items for Ring of Royal Grandeur, if any?
- 5. Builds That Use Ring of Royal Grandeur
- 6. Changelog
What is the Ring of Royal Grandeur?
Ring of Royal Grandeur lowers the required number of worn set items for a specific set bonus by one. This means that for a 6-piece set bonus you would only need to wear 5, for a 4-piece set bonus you would need to wear 3, and for a 3-piece set bonus you would need to wear 2. Note that the ring cannot reduce the worn set items requirement below two, so you can not attain a 2-piece set bonus by wearing just one set item.
How to farm Ring of Royal Grandeur?
Ring of Royal Grandeur falls into the category of bounty cache-specific legendary items. Acts I, II, III and V have a fixed list of legendary items that can only be obtained from the caches awarded for the completion of all bounties in said act. Instead of having its own set, Act IV has a chance to drop bounty cache items from all other acts — inflating the RNG pool and making it unfavorable if you want to target a specific cache legendary.
Ring of Royal Grandeur is a bounty cache-specific legendary ring from Act I, so the most efficient way of obtaining it is clearing all bounties in Act I, taking the cache reward from Tyrael and restarting the game. Note that the bonus bounty cache system (hourly rotation of acts for a second cache reward) should not be a factor in your farming, as it cannot drop the cache-specific legendaries like a regular bounty cache.
While the source of the drop is fixed, you can vastly improve your chances of finding Ring of Royal Grandeur with the following steps:
- Increase difficulty — Increasing in-game difficulty also improves your chances of obtaining bounty cache-specific legendary items. Your chances rise steadily from Torment II onwards, rising to a guaranteed 1 cache legendary in Torment VI, and culminating at almost guaranteed 2 (185% droprate) legendaries in Torment XIII. Make a point to only bump up the difficulty to the highest you can handle while still being efficient — killing elites in less than 10 seconds is a good metric. This is especially important for cache legendaries due to the split farming tactic, explained below.
- Split farming — The so-called "split farming" tactic in Diablo 3 simply refers to grouping up with four other people — and then splitting up, each taking a bounty on his own (since bounty completion is shared). You can either split across bounties within a certain Act (especially if you intend to target a certain item), or split across all Acts, each taking an Act's bounties by himself (more common when farming crafting materials). Communicate your choice at the start of the game to prevent confusion. Make sure you overpower the chosen difficulty by a significant margin, and set it to a level where you are comfortable soloing monsters with health and damage scaled for 4 people.
You cannot (and should not waste your resources trying to) obtain Ring of Royal Grandeur through methods meant for regular legendaries, such as: farming rifts, gambling at Kadala, and upgrading rares at Kanai's Cube.
Where and when to use Ring of Royal Grandeur?
Early on in character progression, Ring of Royal Grandeur can serve to fill the gaps in sets you have acquired only partially. Class-specific sets usually offer tremendous character advancement for their 4-piece and 6-piece set bonuses, easily bumping you up several difficulties worth of power at a time for each attained bonus.
In mid and late game progression, the legendary power of Ring of Royal Grandeur is either used in support builds where offensive stats do not matter, or is extracted into Kanai's Cube and used in its jewelry slot. This is due to the fact that Ring of Royal Grandeur offers sub-par inherent stats, with the guaranteed Attack Speed and Life per Hit ensuring you will never have a socketed, double Crit roll (the most commonly desirable offensive combination for endgame). Nevertheless, its extracted power remains extremely relevant and necessary for classes whose build defining legendaries tend to clash with set piece slots (i.e. Witch Doctors, Monks).
It should be noted that the relevancy of Ring of Royal Grandeur as a cubed item makes even low level versions of it (found during a bounty run while leveling, for example) worth keeping. Extracting a power in Kanai's Cube functions just as well with low level items.
What are the related/synergistic items for Ring of Royal Grandeur, if any?
In theory, Ring of Royal Grandeur is relevant to every single set in the game, both found and crafted. In practice, it is most commonly used with 7-piece sets like Barbarian's Immortal King or Wizard's Tal Rasha to allow mixing a second set in a build, or with sets whose synergistic legendary items clash with set item slots (i.e. Monk's Sunwuko or Witch Doctor's Helltooth).
Builds That Use Ring of Royal Grandeur
- 06 Oct. 2016: Item article added.
- Diablo 2: Resurrected Release Date Is September 23rd
- Season 24 and Patch 2.7.1 Notes, PTR on the 17th
- Global Battle.net Rolling Out Today
- No BlizzCon Planned for 2021
- IGN Report on Blizzard Departures and the Company's Future, With Insider Info
- All Armor Looks for All Classes in Diabo 2: Resurrected
- From the Vault: The Overwatch Anniversary 2021 Collection Live on the Blizzard Store
- Enthusiast Gaming Acquires Icy Veins
- Necromancer Rathma Army of the Dead
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Rend Barbarian
- Wizard Firebird Flame Blades
- Scoundrel Follower Guide
- LoN Frenzy/Thorns Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Necromancer Leveling and Fresh 70
- Poison Dart Witch Doctor