Barbarian HotA Build with Immortal King or Raekor
Welcome to our build guide for HotA Barbarian in Diablo 3. Here, you will learn everything you need to know to play this build at the highest level. This build is updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.General Information
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our follower guide, which contains detailed advice on choosing the skills and the gear of your companion.
Empowered by either the Immortal King or Raekor sets, this Barbarian build emphasizes melee devastation and pulverizes his enemies to the ground with Hammer of the Ancients, while maintaining a vast array of buffs and warriors at his side. This agile, face-to-face burst damage build is available in two Greater Rift solo progression variants (with the Immortal King or with the Raekor set), as well as a regular Rift farming variation, explained in that order.
2. Quick Reference
2.1. Skill Setup
The basic skill setup of the HotA Barbarian is displayed below. Read the dedicated Skills page for detailed information on choices, alternatives and build customization. There is also a dedicated Raekor Variation page for the necessary skill alterations.
|Furious Charge Merciless Assault Hammer of the Ancients Smash 1 Battle Rage Bloodshed 2 War Cry Veteran's Warning 3 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity 4 Call of the Ancients Together as One|
|Furious Charge Battering Ram Hammer of the Ancients Smash 1 Battle Rage Bloodshed 2 Ancient Spear Rage Flip 3 Ignore Pain Ignorance is Bliss 4 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity|
|Furious Charge Merciless Assault Hammer of the Ancients Smash 1 Battle Rage Ferocity 2 War Cry Veteran's Warning 3 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity 4 Call of the Ancients Together as One|
3.1. Gear Setup
The required gear setup for IK HotA Barbarian is listed below. Check the Gear page for detailed information on choices, alternatives, gemming, Kanai's Cube and Paragon distribution. It also includes detailed explanations for Season 16 adjustments. Also take a look at the dedicated Raekor Variation page for the high tier pushing alteration to this base build.
- Helm: Immortal King's Triumph
- Shoulders: Fury of the Ancients
- Gloves: Immortal King's Irons (or Magefist in Season 16)
- Chest: Immortal King's Eternal Reign
- Belt: Immortal King's Tribal Binding
- Pants: Immortal King's Stature
- Boots: Immortal King's Stride
- Bracers: Bracers of the First Men
- Amulet: The Traveler's Pledge
- Ring 1: The Compass Rose
- Ring 2: Convention of Elements
- Weapon 1: Little Rogue
- Weapon 2: The Slanderer
3.2. Legendary Gems
- Legendary Gem 1: Bane of the Trapped
- Legendary Gem 2: Bane of the Stricken
- Legendary Gem 3: Pain Enhancer
3.3. Kanai's Cube
- Weapon Slot: The Gavel of Judgment
- Armor Slot: Magefist (or Aquila Cuirass in Season 16)
- Jewelry Slot: Band of Might
4. Role in the Current Meta
This build is ranked as a Top Tier solo pushing build for its class in the current Season.
This build is oriented mostly at solo Rifting (Greater and Normal). Due to its mediocre mobility on long distances, it is not recommended for Bounties. It is also not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own.
- 27 Jan. 2019 (raekor variant page): Adjusted the Raekor variation to better reflect the current meta.
- 27 Jan. 2019 (this page): Introduced minor improvements to the guide and adjusted the Raekor variant according to the meta.
- 27 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Minor revision to the passive selection options.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (this page): Guide was revised with additional recommendations for Season 16.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 20 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 15.
- 14 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 14.
- 16 Nov. 2017 (raekor variant page): Added the build variant.
- 16 Nov. 2017 (this page): Added the Raekor build variation for GR progress.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (this page): Overhaul of the guide to reflect the 2.6.1 buffs that made this build the best build of the season for Barbarians.
- 31 Oct. 2017 (gear page): Changed the weapon recommendation to a dual setup with The Istvan's Paired Blades replacing The Gavel of Judgment (which is now cubed).
- 31 Oct. 2017 (speed farming variant page): Changed wording in some place to be in sync with the main build.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for 2.6 and moved to new format.
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Activision Blizzard Layoffs to Be Announced Soon?
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #35
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #34
- Deadset's Guide Compendium for Season 16 / Patch 2.6.4
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- 2.6.4 Is Now Live + Patch Notes
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Soul Harvest Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)
- Necromancer Pestilence Set Dungeon
- Zunimassa and williken's fetish army
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Why no Litany of the Undaunted Builds? (patch 2.6.4)
- Thorns Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Above Paragon level 397 (when you have 50 Core points), is Movement Speed on boots always sub-optimal?
- Meteor Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)