Monk Wave of Light Build with Sunwuko or Inna Set
Welcome to our build guide for Sunwuko Wave of Light Monk in Diablo 3. Here, you will learn everything you need to know to play this build at the highest level. This build is updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.General Information
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our follower guide, which contains detailed advice on choosing the skills and the gear of your companion.
Previously stuck in the group-only support DPS role, the Sunwuko set received a revision in Patch 2.4 to a viable soloing state. With this rework and the aid of several revised items, the Season 2 champion Wave of Light re-emerges in a new form. This ranged, sustained damage playstyle is available in both Greater Rift solo progression and regular Rift farming variations, explained in that order.
2. Quick Reference
2.1. Skill Setup
The basic skill setup of the Sunwuko Wave of Light Monk is displayed below. Read the dedicated Skills page for detailed information on choices, alternatives and build customization. Note that we have a separate page available for the S16 variant of this build, the Inna Wave of Light—check it to see all the necessary alterations to this spec.
|Crippling Wave Tsunami Wave of Light Explosive Light 1 Dashing Strike Blinding Speed 2 Sweeping Wind Inner Storm 3 Mystic Ally Air Ally 4 Mantra of Salvation Agility|
|Wave of Light Explosive Light Dashing Strike Way of the Falling Star 1 Blinding Flash Faith in the Light 2 Sweeping Wind Inner Storm 3 Mystic Ally Air Ally 4 Mantra of Conviction Annihilation|
|Wave of Light Explosive Light Dashing Strike Blinding Speed 1 Epiphany Desert Shroud 2 Serenity Ascension 3 Mystic Ally Air Ally 4 Mantra of Salvation Agility|
3.1. Gear Setup
The required gear setup for the Sunwuko Wave of Light Monk is listed below. Check the Gear page for detailed information on choices, alternatives, gemming, Kanai's Cube and Paragon distribution. It also includes detailed explanations for Season 16 adjustments. Note that we have a separate page available for the S16 variant of this build, the Inna Wave of Light—check it to see all the necessary alterations to this spec.
- Helm: Tzo Krin's Gaze
- Shoulders: Sunwuko's Balance
- Gloves: Sunwuko's Paws
- Chest: Sunwuko's Soul
- Belt: The Witching Hour
- Pants: Sunwuko's Leggings
- Boots: The Crudest Boots
- Bracers: Pinto's Pride
- Amulet: Sunwuko's Shines
- Ring 1: Focus
- Ring 2: Restraint
- Weapon: Kyoshiro's Blade
- Offhand: Vengeful Wind
3.2. Legendary Gems
- Legendary Gem 1: Bane of the Trapped
- Legendary Gem 2: Zei's Stone of Vengeance
- Legendary Gem 3: Bane of the Stricken
3.3. Kanai's Cube
- Weapon Slot: Incense Torch of the Grand Temple
- Armor Slot: Spirit Guards
- Jewelry Slot: Ring of Royal Grandeur (or Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac in Season 16)
4. Role in the Current Meta
This build is ranked as the Top Tier solo pushing build for its class in the current Season.
This build is oriented mostly at solo Rifting (Greater and Normal). Due to its mediocre mobility on long distances, it is not recommended for Bounties. It is also not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own.
- 05 Feb. 2019 (inna wave of light variant page): Added this variation.
- 05 Feb. 2019 (this page): Added the Inna Wave of Light variation.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (this page): Guide was revised with additional recommendations for Season 16.
- 17 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- 20 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 15.
- 14 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 14.
- 12 Nov. 2017 (gear page): Revised gem recommendations to reflect the proper playstyle of the build.
- 12 Nov. 2017 (skills page): Updated the passive skill recommendations.
- 28 Oct. 2017 (this page): Revised the guide to reflect its buffs in Patch 2.6.1.
- 28 Oct. 2017 (skills page): Replaced Epiphany with Crippling Wave for Patch 2.6.1.
- 28 Oct. 2017 (gear page): Changed rings, weapon #2, and waist for Patch 2.6.1.
- 28 Oct. 2017 (speed farming variant page): Adapted the variation to the changes the build received in Patch 2.6.1.
- 30 Jun. 2017 (this page): Updated for Patch 2.6 and moved to new guide format.
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Activision Blizzard Layoffs to Be Announced Soon?
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #35
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #34
- Deadset's Guide Compendium for Season 16 / Patch 2.6.4
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- 2.6.4 Is Now Live + Patch Notes
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Soul Harvest Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)
- Necromancer Pestilence Set Dungeon
- Zunimassa and williken's fetish army
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Why no Litany of the Undaunted Builds? (patch 2.6.4)
- Thorns Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Above Paragon level 397 (when you have 50 Core points), is Movement Speed on boots always sub-optimal?
- Meteor Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)