FORUMS
Oxygen

Chen Meta Tier List (June 2019)

33xHrot.jpg

Our twenty-seventh Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier list for the month of June is here!

Welcome to another Icy Veins's Meta Tier List for the June 18 patch. The goal of this list is to try and detail game's current metagame state. The prime goal of such lists is to inform players regarding popular and trending team composition drafting strategies (i.e. the drafting metagame).

Using the list

Spoiler

Although tier listings are generally the product of balance, many factors come into play when discussing the relative perceived strengths of heroes, including player regions, maps, play style, skill level, and, of course, personal perception. As such, any tier list—including this very one—should never be interpreted as gospel, but rather, as a guide to better grasp what to expect with regards to typical drafting experiences. One useful application of such lists is to allow you know which heroes to look out for in terms of practice and counterplay, ultimately improving your knowledge of the game.

As stated above, tier lists are easy to mistake for gospel. As new strategies are discovered and experimented with, so changes the perception of the relative strengths of each hero. Tier lists still prove to be useful as a snapshot of player expectations in terms of drafting. Although it is generally considered preferable to focus on high tier heroes (Prime and Core tiers), it is important to note that Heroes of the Storm's wild character and map designs make it so that any given hero's tier position is prone to fluctuate depending on the situation at hand.

One classic example of such is that of Kerrigan on the Infernal Shrines map. Although we currently judge her to be a mid-tier hero, her drafting priority shoots up to first-pick or first-ban material on this specific map due to the nature of its objective. Certain heroes also synergise so well with each other that the sole fact of having the opportunity of drafting them together is generally enough to increase their potential. Tassadar and Tracer, for instance, are generally nightmarish to deal with for many. There are too many examples of these interactions to reasonably produce here, but we invite you to consult our guides to know exactly where and when each hero shines. The guides have been linked in the lists below for your convenience - just click any of the hero names to access them.

A  next to a hero's name means its tier list position has increased since the previous month whereas a  means just the opposite. Additionally, a + or - sign indicates short-to-medium term predictions (which is to say, about a month) for tier increase(s) or decrease(s), respectively. These are often updated after significant balance patches and/or when clear trends are emerging. The (ban) comment is a ban recommendation; Meta heroes should be picked and banned first, though heroes from other groups should be considered as well depending on how team compositions are shaping up.

If you're newer to the game, also consider visiting our glossary for a comprehensive list of discrete Heroes of the Storm terms.

Current ranked mode map rotation

• Alterac Pass
  • Battlefield of Eternity
  • Cursed Hollow
  • Dragon Shire
  • Garden of Terror
  • Hanamura
  • Infernal Shrines
  • Tomb of the Spider Queen
  • Towers of Doom

Meta picks

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Anub'arak (ban) Ana

High-tier generalists

Arthas Artanis Thrall- Zeratul Raynor (ban) Azmodan Malfurion-
E.T.C. (ban) Imperius VarianTwin Blades of Fury     Jaina   Rehgar
Diablo (ban)         Kael'thas   Tyrande
Garrosh (ban)              
Johanna              

Mid-tier generalists

Mal'Ganis Dehaka (ban) Alarak+ Genji (ban) Cassia  Chromie Abathur Alexstrasza
Muradin Sonya Gazlowe Tracer (ban) Falstad Gul'dan Medivh (ban) Anduin
Stitches (ban)   Kerrigan   Fenix Junkrat Zarya Auriel
VarianTaunt   Maiev-   Greymane- Kel'Thuzad+    Brightwing
    Malthael   Hanzo (ban) Mephisto   Deckard-
    Ragnaros   Lunara Nazeebo   Kharazim
    VarianColossus Smash   Sgt.Hammer (ban) Orphea   Li Li
        Tychus Sylvanas   Lt. Morales
        Valla Zagara   Lúcio
        Zul'jin     Stukov
              Whitemane-

Low-tier generalists

Blaze Chen (reworked) Murky Valeera —  Li-Ming —  — 
  D.Va The Butcher     Probius    
  Yrel            

Situational picks (map, team composition, or counterpick)

Cho'gall (ban) Leoric Illidan Nova Cho'gall (ban) Tassadar Uther (ban)
Tyrael Rexxar (ban) Xul Samuro     The Lost Vikings (ban)  

Meta heroes define the metagame. They are very often banned or picked right away, as they generally dictate the pace of most drafts and matches.

Generalists form the core of your team and are generally picked after Meta picks have been distributed. They tend to work on most maps, and as part of and against most team compositions. Since this group includes most heroes, I elected to split it into three tiers. High-tier rankings are a result of performance (i.e. win rates) and popularity (i.e. pick and ban rates). This means that heroes with high win rates can be set in low tier; the opposite may also be true.

Situational picks shine on specific maps or as part of specific team compositions.

• Like 1

Interesting. Explanation why Leoric is situational pick and Sonya being placed above Chen?
While Sonya is good solo laner and can clear camps which Chen can't, I feel like she doesn't provide much in teamfights anymore.

2 hours ago, SleepySheepy said:

Interesting. Explanation why Leoric is situational pick and Sonya being placed above Chen?
While Sonya is good solo laner and can clear camps which Chen can't, I feel like she doesn't provide much in teamfights anymore.

I admittedly need a bit more data to better assess Chen. In general however, I don't find him particularly flexible in general, for the mercenary point you noted.

Leo's situational because I treat him as a counter. I don't think he "casually" works in many team compositions unlike so-called generalists.

IMO the three of them (Leo, Chen and Sonya) are similar on that they are great at solo QM play, since they are flexible heroes with decent talent diversity and good balance between surivability, pick potential and damage.

However, talking draft, I mostly agree with Oxygen. Though a reworked Chen on the right hands (with the right build) can do basically everything Sonya does.

Mostly was interested in Leoric because he has very good waveclear, good engage with Entomb and with 13 and 16 he can lower damage on enemy team for quite some time, which is good general thing to have.

Edited by SleepySheepy

10 hours ago, Oxygen said:

Leo's situational because I treat him as a counter. I don't think he "casually" works in many team compositions unlike so-called generalists.

I think he can though. He's one of the best double-soaker in the game, and Entomb is a good engage for pretty much any comp. I can't find a situation where he's considered a 'deadweight' pick. 

I'd say Sonya, Chen, Artanis and even Malthael are more situational than Leo. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ShadowerDerek said:

What are those bold names mean? Are you planning to do a meta assessment for them?

I believe the bold names just mean they are the ones that moved from the last tier list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ShadowerDerek said:

What are those bold names mean? Are you planning to do a meta assessment for them?

I should really go back to doing assessments. They were fun to write, but they got repetitive after a while. I've been thinking of some things to improve that.

Bolding was meant to help seeing changes since last month; you'll note all of them have arrows, or should, anyway. And since assessments were about the moves, that'd make sense.

Anyhow, if that's all pretty unclear and the list still sucks to read (which I think it does), I have good news: the format is changing completely next month. More than usual. In fact, we'll be caking the tier lists into the website instead of relying on me making a new forum post every time. It only took three years!

I'm also rethinking (for the 6th time?) how the list's going to be presented, content-wise. Main challenge is making more room for more nuance without overwhelming readers. Hero power varies broadly based on player skill. That's a huge problem.

8 hours ago, ShadowerDerek said:

I can't find a situation where he's considered a 'deadweight' pick.

As a giant skeleton, I'd say he's the best candidate for being deadweight...

All kidding aside, in general, I find I can't get solid damage on Leo against range-heavy comps. If Entomb doesn't manage to close a fight outright, his kit's lack of base crowd control hurts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Oxygen said:

All kidding aside, in general, I find I can't get solid damage on Leo against range-heavy comps. If Entomb doesn't manage to close a fight outright, his kit's lack of base crowd control hurts.

Depends on your build.

If you're using the usual Wraith Walk build, then you shouldn't care about your own damage output. Your job is to reduce the enemies' damage, and distract the enemies so that they can't focus fire properly. Flanking is usually a good idea for any bruiser. 

By range-heavy comp you mean 3-backliners + solo-frontline comp? You can just blow the frontline up. Leo's Drain Hope is very good for that. And if you still want more damage, go for the other builds then. 

17 hours ago, ShadowerDerek said:

I was asking this mainly because I see Rexxar being bold for no reason.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, ShadowerDerek said:

I was asking this mainly because I see Rexxar being bold for no reason.

Only thing i see is that he added  (ban to the end of Rexxar from previous list.