Hogger Build Guide “More bones to gnaw on...”
Welcome to our guide for Hogger, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Hogger is a Bruiser with the unique Ability to create and get advantage of impassable terrain with terrain outlines, something that works great in narrow spaces and has low value in wide areas.
Thanks to having Rage instead of Mana, Hogger inherently prefers drawn-out battles that tend to exhaust enemy resources, especially when paired with a sustain Healer that can keep him healthy for long periods of time.
Hogger's Strengths and Weaknesses
Hogger's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Loot Hoard BuildRecommended
Hogger's Loot Hoard Build is designed to get as much value as possible from the Hero by increasing his survivability, damage output, and utility. In particular, it features Talents that give immediate value rather than delayed rewards.
Hogger's Synergies and Counters
When enemy Heroes are stuck between Hogger and impassable terrain, allied Heroes can easily follow up with Abilities that require their target to stay still for a moment (like Chromie) or inside one area for a few seconds (for example Stukov).
Be careful when playing against Heroes who can reduce healing (such as Ana with Biotic Grenade) because they reduce your survivability by partially or completely denying the healing provided by your chunks of Meat.
Hogger is great on medium-sized Battlegrounds where he can double soak (such as Infernal Shrines) and on Maps with narrow spaces where he can get value from impassable terrain by Knocking back enemy Heroes towards it or by blocking enemy Heroes in small corridors (notably Cursed Hollow).
Battlegrounds where most of the action happens in wide areas (for example Hanamura Temple) do not favor Hogger because he will not be able to get enough value from impassable terrain and 2-lane Maps will not allow him to dominate the early game by double soaking.
Hogger's Tips and Tricks
- Staggering Blow can be used to Knockback enemy Heroes into Ez-Thro Dynamite.
- Ez-Thro Dynamite explodes immediately if thrown directly on enemy Heroes.
- Hogg Wild can be used to quickly clear Mercenary Camps between two parallel segments of impassable terrain or, when that is not possible, with the use of Loot Hoard on one side.
- Hoardapult has Vector Targeting that allows you to choose on which side of the Loot Hoard you want to land.
- Shockwave is easier to use on enemy Heroes previously Slowed with Ez-Thro Dynamite and is a great setup for using Loot Hoard right behind them for getting full value from Staggering Blow right after.
- Loot Hoard can be canceled before it expires to immediately collect its Meat.
Role in the Current Meta
Thanks to his self-sustain and waveclear, Hogger is a solid Solo Laner who can easily take care of side lanes and is also able to double soak when needed. That said, he can also be played in the 4-man, similarly to a Melee Assassin.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 20 Jan. 2021 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Balance Update.
- 21 Dec. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 21 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Builds and Talents updated.
- 04 Dec. 2020 (this page): Builds updated.
- 04 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Builds updated.
- 04 Dec. 2020 (abilities page): Abilities page improved.
- 01 Dec. 2020 (talents page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 01 Dec. 2020 (this page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 01 Dec. 2020 (abilities page): Guide reviewed for the latest Patch.
- 30 Nov. 2020 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 30 Nov. 2020 (this page): Guide created.
- 30 Nov. 2020 (talents page): Guide created.
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: January 19th
- The New Battle.net Is Almost Here, Going Live in NA
- Merry Christmas from the Icy Veins Team!
- Blizzard Sending Out New Surveys About "Classic" Version of The Burning Crusade
- How to Become a Better Stukov Player
- Activision Blizzard's Stock Reached All-Time Highs
- Cyberpunk 2077 Wiki from IcyWiki
- Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes: December 1st
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Qhira
- Heroes of the Storm Hogger
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List