Mei Build Guide “A-Mei-Zing!”
Welcome to our guide for Mei, a Tank in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Mei is a Tank who relies on various types of crowd control to mess up the enemy plans and some peculiar forms of self-sustain to survive longer during team fights. You can play her either aggressively or defensively, based on what your team needs in that given game and moment.
Mei's Strengths and Weaknesses
Mei's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Mei's Cryo-Freeze Build is designed to drastically increase her survivability. In particular, Crystallize at Level 4 makes it harder for the enemy team to break the Shield provided by Cryo-Freeze and Cooling Servos at Level 13 gives her an escape by reducing the cooldown of Icing and other Basic Abilities.
Mei's Synergies and Counters
While she does not gets completely shut down by them, Mei also does not like effects that reduce healing (for example Biotic Grenade by Ana), deal percent-damage (such as Cursed Bullet at Level 10 by Greymane), or deal bonus damage to Shields (like EMP Grenade at Level 13 by Lt. Morales). The same is true for Heroes who can poke her team from a long distance (such as Li-Ming).
Mei is good on Maps that have narrow passages and corridors where she can get more value from her Abilities (for example Cursed Hollow). While not her best, she does fine in open space too (Hanamura Temple comes to mind). She does not offer anything on Maps where the macro is important.
Mei's Tips and Tricks
- The moderate Slow provided by Snow Blind can be used to slightly increase the chance that Icing will hit enemy Heroes from a good angle.
- The high but decaying Slow provided by Icing must be used to drastically increase the chance that Stun at the end of Blizzard will trigger.
- Avalanche can split the enemy team by pushing some enemy Heroes away, even behind unpassable terrain.
- After you aggressively get behind an enemy Hero by using Icing, you can push them towards your team with Avalanche.
- If you catch 3 enemy Heroes with Avalanche, you can follow the snowball with Icing to be in range for casting Blizzard as a follow-up to the prolonged Stun.
- Ice Wall can be used to split the enemy team by putting in Time Stop some Heroes and fighting the others.
- A well-timed Blizzard will always Stun enemy Heroes affected by Ice Wall.
Mei's Role in the Current Meta
She has access to powerful Heroic Abilities that, when having a Mage in team, can be used to make scary combos. That said, Avalanche and Ice Wall are already strong on their own, both for engaging and for peeling. With a bit of creativity, you can make powerful tricks with them.
- 24 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Guide updated.
- 24 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Guide updated.
- 24 Jun. 2020 (this page): Guide updated.
- 20 Jun. 2020 (talents page): Guide created.
- 20 Jun. 2020 (abilities page): Guide created.
- 20 Jun. 2020 (this page): Guide created.
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Nexomania II Event Preview (June 23rd - September 7th)
- Bringing Mei Into the Nexus
- Heroes of the Storm Mei Patch Notes: June 23rd
- Diablo 2 Creators on the Rumored Remaster: No Censoring, It's a Tough Job
- Diablo 2 Remaster Significantly More Likely After Two Job Postings Surface
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin