Deathwing Build Guide “All will burn beneath the shadow of my wings!”
Welcome to our guide for Deathwing, a Bruiser in Heroes of the Storm. Within these pages, you will find everything required to understand how best to play this hero, in both different map styles and team compositions.
Deathwing is a melee Bruiser with various ranged abilities that also make him a threat to be reckoned with from larger distances. His massive dragon form renders him resistant to enemy crowd control, however, it also prevents any form of healing or shielding on him.
He excels at dealing dangerous burst damage onto his foes, however, most of his abilities have a rather slow casting animation, allowing most opponents to dodge them if they are not impaired in their movement. Thus, Deathwing is a heavy hitter that is somewhat reliant on his teammates to pave the way for his impactful damage spells.
Deathwing's Strengths and Weaknesses
- Outstanding burst damage
- Immune to any form of crowd control
- Global re-deployment thanks to Dragonflight
- Great at pushing and sieging enemy Structures
- Cannot be affected by allies' buffs or healing
- Slow casting animations
- Poor in-combat mobility
- Weak against high mobility Heroes
Deathwing's Talent Build Cheatsheet
Deathwing's Synergies and Counters
It is hard to find Heroes that naturally synergize with Deathwing, since he cannot be buffed or enhanced in any way. However, there are some Heroes, usually crowd control heavy Tanks, that can make it easier for Deathwing to land his devastating damage abilities. Consequently, we find Heroes like E.T.C., Johanna, or Arthas to be a fitting match, since their Stuns and Slows can buy enough time for Deathwing to wipe the opposing team off the map.
Because of Deathwing's health, size, and low mobility, there are two types of Heroes that counter him very well. Firstly, percentage-based damage abilities, such as Tychus' Minigun or Greymane's Cursed Bullet inflict a lot of damage on Deathwing's high health pool. Secondly, nimble Assassins like Zeratul, Valla, or Tracer have an easy time dodging and thus diminishing a lot of Deathwing's damage due to long casting animations on most of his abilities.
Deathwing excels on maps that feature a pushing Map Objective, such as Alterac Pass, Braxis Holdout, or Infernal Shrine. Furthermore, he usually performs better on larger maps that allow his Dragonflight to have global impact.
Deathwing's Tips and Tricks
- Most of your damaging abilities have a significant casting delay until they hit. Take this into consideration and aim accordingly.
- Deathwing can only restore lost Armor Plates by using Dragonflight.
- On push-heavy maps such as Tomb of the Spider Queen or Towers of Doom, Burn Beneath My Shadow at Level 10 is a good choice. Use Cataclysm shortly before a Structure is about to fall to maximize value of the talent.
- When fighting melee Heroes, Destroyer Form is recommended. Against ranged Heroes, World Breaker's long distance abilities have an edge.
- Despite Deathwing being such a massive combatant, it is often wiser to avoid direct combat and reposition him globally via Dragonflight and push a lane away from the enemy team.
Deathwing's Role in the Current Meta
Deathwing is a Hero that defies standard limitations and requirements. As an entity that cannot be put to stop by crowd control on the one hand, but also does not get affected by any allied buffs or heals on the other hand, he is best played on push-heavy maps like Alterac Pass, Infernal Shrines, and other maps with a moving Objective. Here, Deathwing can make best use of his devastating AoE abilities to secure the Map Objective and make sure that the ensuing push will have a significant impact. Cataclysm, by itself, can wreak absolute havoc in the enemy ranks next to a charging Cavalry Unit on Alterac Pass or a pushing Punisher on Infernal Shrines.
As a Deathwing player, it is important to remember that you are the architect of your own fortune. Being independent of your Healer, resistant to enemy crowd control, and having a global reposition ability in Dragonflight provides you with unique freedom on the battleground. Use these features wisely to make an impact where it is most needed.
- 08 May 2020 (talents page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 08 May 2020 (this page): Builds and Descriptions changed according to the latest Balance Update.
- 12 Apr. 2020 (this page): Introduction partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build Cheatsheet updated to reflect the current metagame.
- Role in the Current Meta modified to remove the unnecessary part about the now fixed Experience Globes.
- 12 Apr. 2020 (talents page): Talent Build partially revised to match new standards.
- Talent Build and Talent Build Cheatsheet modified to reflect the current metagame.
- Talent Descriptions modified to better describe when to pick them.
- 14 Feb. 2020 (talents page): Revised Deathwing's guide and found it is still up-to-date after the recent Balance Update.
- 23 Jan. 2020 (talents page): Updated Deathwing's Talent Builds.
- 19 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Revised the Deathwing Guide in accordance with the new Balance Update and found no changes were necessary.
- 06 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Changed Deathwing's Aggressive Build and changed Draconic Might to Recommended.
- 03 Dec. 2019 (talents page): Added the Aggressive Build and updated Deathwing's talents in general.
- 03 Dec. 2019 (this page): Added the current Anomaly (Experience Globes) to the guide.
- 28 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Updatede Deathwing's talents according to the latest PTR version.
- 26 Nov. 2019 (abilities page): Added Deathwing to the Heroes section.
- 26 Nov. 2019 (this page): Added Deathwing to the Heroes section.
- 26 Nov. 2019 (talents page): Added Deathwing to the Heroes section.
- Diablo 2 Gameplay AI Upscaled to 4K, 60 FPS
- New Very Funny Diablo 2 Carbot Animations Series: Diablols 2
- Diablo 2 Retrospective
- Diablo 2 20-year Anniversary Celebration with New Wings, a Diablo Bust, Videos and More!
- Diablo 2 Remaster Won't Be Announced in June
- Nexomania II Event Preview (June 23rd - September 7th)
- Bringing Mei Into the Nexus
- Heroes of the Storm Mei Patch Notes: June 23rd
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Mei
- Heroes of the Storm Alarak
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Heroes of the Storm Nazeebo
- Totally accurate rank list of heroes of the storm
- Did you stop playing after the e-sports cancellation?
- Heroes of the Storm Muradin