Barbarian Frenzy/Thorns Build With Legacy of Nightmares Set
Welcome to our build guide for Frenzy Thorns Barbarian in Diablo 3. Here, you will learn everything you need to know to play this build at the highest level. This build is updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.General Information
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our follower guide, which contains detailed advice on choosing the skills and the gear of your companion.
The Thorns Frenzy build arose from the 2.4 rework to the Legacy of Nightmares set, along with the 2.4.1 buffs to Barbarian Thorns capabilities. The end result is a highly mobile, single target assassination spec that takes the best of the melee and damage reflection playstyles. The build is available in both Greater Rift solo progression and regular Rift farming variations, explained in that order.
2. Video Guide
The following video guide was created to accompany the present written guide and demonstrate how to play the build in-game.
2.1. Skill Setup
The basic skill setup of the LoN Thorns Frenzy Barb is displayed below. Read the dedicated Skills page for detailed information on choices, alternatives and build customization.
|Frenzy Maniac Furious Charge Merciless Assault 1 Ignore Pain Iron Hide 2 Threatening Shout Falter 3 War Cry Veteran's Warning 4 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity|
|Frenzy Vanguard Furious Charge Merciless Assault 1 Battle Rage Ferocity 2 Sprint Marathon 3 War Cry Veteran's Warning 4 Wrath of the Berserker Insanity|
3.1. Gear Setup
The required gear setup for the LoN Thorns Frenzy Barb is listed below. Check the Gear page for detailed information on choices, alternatives, gemming, Kanai's Cube and Paragon distribution.
- Helm: Leoric's Crown
- Shoulders: Pauldrons of the Skeleton King
- Gloves: St. Archew's Gage
- Chest: Aquila Cuirass
- Belt: Pride of Cassius
- Pants: Swamp Land Waders
- Boots: Illusory Boots
- Bracers: Sanguinary Vambraces
- Amulet: Hellfire Amulet of Strength
- Ring 1: The Wailing Host
- Ring 2: Litany of the Undaunted
- Weapon: Hack
- Offhand: Oathkeeper
3.2. Legendary Gems
- Legendary Gem 1: Bane of the Trapped
- Legendary Gem 2: Boyarsky's Chip
- Legendary Gem 3: Bane of the Stricken
3.3. Kanai's Cube
- Weapon Slot: Bastion's Revered
- Armor Slot: Vambraces of Sescheron
- Jewelry Slot: Convention of Elements
4. Role in the Current Meta
This build is ranked as a Mid Tier solo pushing build for its class in the current Season. If you are looking for a strong build that will easily finish the Seasonal Journey, but don't necessarily care for high leaderboard placement, consider using this build.
This is a versatile build, able to handle all three major activities in the game (Greater Rifts, Normal Rifts and Bounties) with the adjustments outlined in this guide. It is not recommended for group Greater Rifts past the point where every party member can handle the content on his own.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (gear page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 16 Jan. 2019 (skills page): Information was reviewed and approved for Season 16 with no changes required.
- 20 Sep. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 15.
- 14 Jun. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 14.
- 16 Jan. 2018 (this page): Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 16.
- 01 Nov. 2017 (this page): Changed build rank to Low Tier for Season 12.
- 18 Oct. 2017 (this page): No changes necessary for Patch 2.6.1.
- 26 Jun. 2017 (this page): Guide updated for 2.6 and moved to new format.
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Activision Blizzard Layoffs to Be Announced Soon?
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #35
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #34
- Deadset's Guide Compendium for Season 16 / Patch 2.6.4
- Four New Collectible Blizzard Books Coming This Fall
- 2.6.4 Is Now Live + Patch Notes
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 33
- Soul Harvest Witch Doctor (Patch 2.6.4)
- Necromancer Pestilence Set Dungeon
- Zunimassa and williken's fetish army
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Why no Litany of the Undaunted Builds? (patch 2.6.4)
- Thorns Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Above Paragon level 397 (when you have 50 Core points), is Movement Speed on boots always sub-optimal?
- Meteor Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)