LoD Blessed Shield Crusader BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your LoD Blessed Shield Crusader in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for patch 2.6.6 and Season 18.
Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
Since the build is based on the Legacy of Dreams power, you have some flexibility in the items you choose to slot across your gear, provided they are ideally of Ancient quality, have the appropriate stats, and do not form any other set bonuses (meaning you can temporarily run individual set pieces, if necessary). Stat-wise, focus on pieces that have Blessed Shield skill damage increase, as well as Cooldown Reduction and Area Damage bonuses. You should also keep in mind the ring set's requirement for ancient items, as well as their restriction on other set bonuses. You can run individual set pieces with beneficial stats, as long as they do not form any set bonus.
The Legacy of Dreams power allows you to run any legendary item combination while not losing out on the damage amplification and reduction associated with the traditional 6-piece sets. You can obtain this power in two ways; the older way is equipping the two rings — The Wailing Host and Litany of the Undaunted — as your only active set bonus. The newer (and more powerful, since it also opens your ring slots for legendary jewelry) method is the Legacy of Dreams legendary gem.
In a setup with Legacy of Dreams, you will be wearing your two best rolled rings and cubing the third between Convention of Elements, Unity, and Justice Lantern. It is generally recommended to wear the Justice Lantern, since you would lose its Block Chance bonuses if you Cube that ring. Unity cuts incoming damage in half when paired with another on the follower, along with an immortality relic for him (i.e. Enchanting Favor). Convention of Elements simply provides a massive damage increase during the Fire cycle of its rotation.
The recommended amulet is The Flavor of Time, whose revised legendary power now doubles the duration of Pylons — an extremely potent power that, with careful timing, can turn the progressively harder fights in Greater Rifts greatly in your favor. The former recommendation for the slot, Hellfire Amulet of Strength, remains a viable option, especially if you obtain a good roll with a synergistic fifth passive like Fervor, Towering Shield, Finery, Hold Your Ground or Indestructible.
Two powerful options are present in your helm slot. You can opt to boost your damage directly (as well as scale your Attack Speed with the innate roll on the item, and reach a breakpoint more easily) with a Fire damage Andariel's Visage. Alternatively, you can lower your massive and vital cooldowns with a Leoric's Crown, gemmed with a Flawless Royal Diamond for CDR. Both options are seen as viable for the slot, but our general recommendation is Leoric's Crown, since its generic CDR bonus slightly reduces your reliance on Rift composition and Pylon RNG.
Most of your armor slots can be roughly split into two categories: DPS items and Utility items.
- Magefist is able to bring up to 20% Fire elemental damage, greatly amplifying your main damage dealer. Swamp Land Waders also add their own chunk of elemental damage, which is a unique property for the slot — but you should note that they need to be gambled on a Witch Doctor alt, as they are a class-specific item for WDs. The Witching Hour is a glass cannon favorite for the belt slot; what it lacks in unique properties, it makes up in unique rolls: it is the only item in the slot that can roll Attack Speed and Critical Damage.
- Illusory Boots, Aquila Cuirass and Pauldrons of the Skeleton King each bring their own angle of value to the build. Aquila Cuirass cuts incoming damage in half if you maintain above 90% of your resource, which is a permanent effect in a build whose spender is nullified by Gyrfalcon's Foote. Illusory Boots assist with mobility and repositioning when Steed Charge is on cooldown, and allow you to engage fights at your leisure and from the best angle possible. Lastly, Pauldrons of the Skeleton King bring a chance for an extra cheat death proc to the build, which is adequate for a slot with no particularly synergistic legendaries.
The remaining item slots — bracers, weapon, and offhand — will be occupied by dedicated Blessed Shield legendary items that increase the skill's damage and modify its properties in a beneficial way. In your wrist slot, Akkhan's Manacles will augment your single target burst by adding significant damage to the first target struck. Gyrfalcon's Foote will not only provide a general boost to the skill, but will also completely remove its Wrath costs — making for a relaxed, trigger-happy playstyle that can focus entirely on survival and aiming without worry for resource management. Finally, Jekangbord will triple the amount of enemies struck by the shield ricochets, adding the signature bouncing chaos in fights.
Stat Priorities for Gear List
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem procs itself with its level 25 property when in range, making it an inseparable part of this mid-range setup.
Introduced in Season 4, Bane of the Stricken takes a firm slot in one of your jewelry sockets when Greater Rifting. Building up your damage multiplicatively in prolonged fights and with a level 25 bonus specifically targeting Rift Guardians, this gem is designed to assist AoE heavy builds in their struggle against single target, high HP enemies. Blessed Shield is a classic case in this scenario, making this gem mandatory.
Your final slot is best occupied by the Legacy of Dreams legendary gem, which provides a scaling bonus for each legendary item equipped, as long as you have no set bonuses equipped. This bonus is multiplied for Ancient or Primal quality items, and when the gem is maxed out, it matches the Legacy of Nightmares ( The Wailing Host and Litany of the Undaunted rings) set bonus. This potent bonus allows you to play around with all your gear slots for synergistic legendary powers at the cost of a gem slot; in the older LoN setup, this socket would be occupied by Pain Enhancer.
|Torso and Pants|
While hidden away in the weapon Cube slot, Akkhan's Leniency is another cornerstone item in the build that puts a heavy emphasis on the build's AoE strengths. The weapon scales your damage for each enemy struck, so try to keep to the nine bounces maximum imposed by Jekangbord as best you can.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 22 Aug. 2019: Item recommendations have been revised for Season 18.
- 14 May 2019: Guide added.
- PTR Patch 2.6.7 Notes - Season of Eternal Conflict (S19)
- Challenge Rift 120 Guides
- Gamespot Interview with J. Allen Brack
- Legacy of Dreams Gem Drop Chance Increased in Season 19
- Challenge Rift 119 Guides
- Diablo 3 Classified as a Blizzard Classic Game
- Challenge Rift 117 Guides
- Challenge Rift 116 Guides
- Necromancer lazy Pestilence possible?
- Boss Mode Conquest
- RoRG Not Dropping
- Fever Clan recruiting for Season
- Necromancer Leveling and Fresh 70
- Archon Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Vyr's archon build (top tier) hopefuly a possible upgrade ?
- Staff of Herding / Whimsyshire