Vyr Archon Wizard Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of Vyr Archon Wizard. Updated for patch 2.6.10 and Season 22.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Magic Weapon Deflection Ray of Frost Cold Blood 1 Archon Slow Time 2 Slow Time Stretch Time 3 Teleport Wormhole 4 Energy Armor Force Armor|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
Before starting the farming run, apply the two protective buffs — Energy Armor Force Armor and Magic Weapon Deflection; while Goldwrap will bring near-infinite toughness once the build gets going, you want to prevent a nasty one-shot if the gold buff runs out. (The same logic applies to the inclusion of the cheat death passive Unstable Anomaly during farming.) You will be using Teleport Wormhole to efficiently maneuver around a rift and find yourself a fight to get started. Once you do, drop a Slow Time Stretch Time to get some Chantodo stacks (10 should be more than enough, no need to fully stack), and enter Archon form. Start out with the melee Archon attack to build up power faster, and transition into farming with the beam once you get to a second and subsequent Archon activation. In between Archons, use Ray of Frost Cold Blood to get Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac procs.
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Archon naturally stays as the focal point of the build, taken with the Cold rune Slow Time.
- Swap the Teleport from the progression-oriented Safe Passage rune to the farming staple Wormhole. You will turn this skill into a spammable spender with a Cubed Aether Walker, assisting this build in longer rifts and bounties.
- You will retain the Magic Weapon Deflection buff from the progression build, as it provides a nice emergency shield during farming as well. Progression-oriented choices like Explosive Blast and its Orb of Infinite Depth interactions will be gone in speed farming however, replaced by the stand-alone failsafe of Energy Armor Force Armor. Your last line of defense will be the Unstable Anomaly passive.
- Exchange the protective and utility-driven Spectral Blade with the faster-casting, instant channeled spender Ray of Frost Cold Blood. It is better suited for farming, and will serve you nicely for Zodiac procs.
- Slow Time will be taken with the Stretch Time rune to get Chantodo stacks a little faster and get back to Archon form asap.
- The core of your passives, the multiplicative close range buff of Audacity and the Cooldown Reduction of Evocation, remain part of your passive lineup. Add to them the speed farm mainstay Illusionist for a nice movement speed increase every time you teleport or slow time.
You will still be taking advantage of the full 6-piece set bonuses of Vyr, but you will only take 5 set pieces and get the complete bonus through a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the Cube. This allows you to wear The Swami on your character, and take advantage of the near-infinite toughness of a Goldwrap in the Cube armor slot. To complement the Archon build, you will maintain the Chantodo's Resolve set — Chantodo's Will and Chantodo's Force as your main- and off-hand.
You will also be using an Avarice Band instead of Halo of Karini; this act III cache legendary ring offers amazing pickup radius utility during farming, extended by a socketed Boon of the Hoarder. Their synergy speeds you up and lines your pockets as you run rifts. Complete your jewelry with Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac for the CD reset on Archon as you channel in your Wizard form, and a Squirt's Necklace for the massive damage boost — kept up with the near-impenetrable Goldwrap armor plating.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Bane of the Trapped still bring excellent damage multiplication value to the build in speed farming; Gogok of Swiftness is helpful in ramping up Chantodo bonuses and keeping your CDR as high as possible in order to return to Archon form as soon as possible.
Once you are confident with your damage in Torments, you can substitute Bane of the Stricken with Boon of the Hoarder to increase your movement speed and provide near-infinite Toughness through its interaction with Goldwrap.
|Torso and Pants||
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
Adapting Kanai's Cube
You have some room for choice in your weapons Cube slot; both cooldown reduction powerhouses, Messerschmidt's Reaver (early in a Season) and In-geom (on a fully realized character) are good choices, and can allow you to chain Archon form. Certain rift layouts however, and especially bounties, can counter a reset-based choice with bad density — so it is worth considering a slower reset (by a second or two) for the consistent mobility power of Aether Walker.
Stored in the armor Cube slot, Goldwrap synergizes with Avarice Band and Boon of the Hoarder for a gold-based triumvirate that makes you richer, speeds you up and renders you practically invulnerable, allowing you to focus on killing and looting without regards for your safety.
Lastly, in order to maintain the valuable 6-piece bonus of Vyr as well as your array of utility legendaries, you will need to cube a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry slot.
In Season 22, you can add a mobility piece in the form of Cosmic Strand, ensuring even better maneuverability during speed farming.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
- 20 Nov. 2020: Added Cube recommendations for Season 22.
- 01 Jul. 2020: Slight revision of wording to better match its progression counterpart.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Substantial rework of the speedfarm guide in order to include gold utility legendaries.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Item recommendations are revised for Season 18.
- 17 May 2019: Guide was revised with additional recommendations for Season 17.
- 26 Nov. 2017: Text revisions to reflect the changes to the main build.
- 27 Oct. 2017: Revised the speedrun variant to reflect its Patch 2.6.1 buffs.
- A Call to Strike on Blizzard France Employees on Shadowlands Launch Day
- Which Class to Play in Diablo 3 Season 22? Solo, Group, and Speedfarm Rankings
- All Diablo 3 Season 22 Guides (Patch 2.6.10)
- Diablo 3 Season 22 Start Time
- Diablo 3 Cinematics Upscaled to 8K, 48 FPS
- Patch 2.6.10 Is Live
- Blizzard Selling Face Masks on Gear Store
- Official Preview of Season 22 in Diablo 3