Oxygen

Mephisto Meta Tier List (September 2018)

51 posts in this topic

fygETiM.jpg

Our twenty-third Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier list for the month of September is here!

We present our twenty-third Heroes of the Storm Meta Tier List for the month of September 2018.

Welcome to Icy Veins's belated Meta Tier List for the August 27 patch, which also takes the latest September 25 patch into account. The goal of this list is to try and detail game's current metagame state. The prime goal of such lists is to inform players regarding popular and trending team composition drafting strategies (i.e. the drafting metagame). Although tier listings are generally the product of balance, many factors come into play when discussing the relative perceived strengths of heroes, including player regions, maps, play style, skill level, and, of course, personal perception. As such, any tier list—including this very one—should never be interpreted as gospel, but rather, as a guide to better grasp what to expect with regards to typical drafting experiences. One useful application of such lists is to allow you know which heroes to look out for in terms of practice and counterplay, ultimately improving your knowledge of the game.

Using the list

Spoiler

As stated above, tier lists are easy to mistake for gospel. As new strategies are discovered and experimented with, so changes the perception of the relative strengths of each hero. Tier lists still prove to be useful as a snapshot of player expectations in terms of drafting. Although it is generally considered preferable to focus on high tier heroes (Prime and Core tiers), it is important to note that Heroes of the Storm's wild character and map designs make it so that any given hero's tier position is prone to fluctuate depending on the situation at hand.

One classic example of such is that of Kerrigan on the Infernal Shrines map. Although we currently judge her to be a mid-tier hero, her drafting priority shoots up to first-pick or first-ban material on this specific map due to the nature of its objective. Certain heroes also synergise so well with each other that the sole fact of having the opportunity of drafting them together is generally enough to increase their potential. Tassadar and Tracer, for instance, are generally nightmarish to deal with for many. There are too many examples of these interactions to reasonably produce here, but we invite you to consult our guides to know exactly where and when each hero shines. The guides have been linked in the lists below for your convenience - just click any of the hero names to access them.

A  next to a hero's name means its tier list position has increased since the previous month whereas a  means just the opposite. Additionally, a + or - sign indicates short-to-medium term predictions (which is to say, about a month) for tier increase(s) or decrease(s), respectively. These are often updated after significant balance patches and/or when clear trends are emerging. The (ban) comment is a ban recommendation; Meta heroes should be picked and banned first, though heroes from other groups should be considered as well depending on how team compositions are shaping up.

If you're newer to the game, also consider visiting our glossary for a comprehensive list of discrete Heroes of the Storm terms.

Current ranked mode map rotation

• Alterac Pass
  • Battlefield of Eternity
  • Braxis Holdout
  • Cursed Hollow
  • Dragon Shire
  • Infernal Shrines
  • Sky Temple
  • Tomb of the Spider Queen
  • Towers of Doom
  • Volskaya Foundry

Meta picks

Tank Bruiser Fighter Stalker Marksman Mage Support Healer
Genji (ban) Raynor (ban)  Azmodan (ban)  Tyrande↑↑ (ban) 

High-tier generalists

Arthas Dehaka (ban) VarianTwin Blades of Fury (ban) Cassia Jaina Ana
Diablo (ban) Sonya     Fenix (ban) Kael'thas   Li Li
Garrosh (ban)         Nazeebo   Malfurion
Johanna-             Rehgar
Muradin             Whitemane

Mid-tier generalists

Anub'arak Artanis Alarak Tracer (ban) Greymane Gul'dan Abathur Alexstrasza
Blaze Yrel Maiev+ Zeratul Hanzo (ban) Junkrat   Auriel
E.T.C. (ban)+   Malthael   Lunara+ Kel'Thuzad   Deckard 
Stitches (ban)   Ragnaros   Sgt.Hammer (ban)  Li-Ming   Kharazim
VarianTaunt   Thrall+   Tychus Mephisto (new)    
    VarianColossus Smash   Zul'jin Sylvanas   Stukov
    Zarya     Zagara    

Low-tier generalists

Chen Gazlowe Valeera Falstad Chromie Medivh (ban)+ Brightwing (reworked)
  D.Va Murky   Valla Probius   Lt. Morales
    The Butcher         Lúcio

Situational picks (map, team composition, or counterpick)

Cho'gall (ban) Leoric Illidan Nova The Lost Vikings (ban) Cho'gall (ban) Tassadar Uther (ban)
Tyrael Rexxar Kerrigan (reworked)++ Samuro        
    Xul          

Meta heroes define the metagame. They are very often banned or picked right away, as they generally dictate the pace of most drafts and matches.

Generalists form the core of your team and are generally picked after Meta picks have been distributed. They tend to work on most maps, and as part of and against most team compositions. Since this group includes most heroes, I elected to split it into three tiers. High-tier rankings are a result of performance (i.e. win rates) and popularity (i.e. pick and ban rates). This means that heroes with high win rates can be set in low tier; the opposite may also be true.

Situational picks shine on specific maps or as part of specific team compositions.

Tyrande is a healer more than a support now, I feel. She can easily be the solo healer for a team.

I am surprised to see Merphisto low as well, but I should not have been. The nerf in his last balance patch hit him pretty hard and a lot of his power budget is baked into Consume Souls if it does not get interrupted. That and his kit is just weird - his W deals too much damage in too small of an area which is rather awkward and his E effectively casts Time Loop on yourself can get you killed very quickly indeed.

Edited by Aasgier

i am surprised by how low kerrigan is ?

its insane how tanky she is

yesterday i had a 1v1 against a greymane and the time he was dead he didnt even touch my health

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What's with the brightwing anyway? She finally got a nice single-target clutch heal and can keep even tanks alive for much longer thanks to the %HP heal, plus she's great against AoE spell damage and has built-in aoe cleanse...

27 minutes ago, Mefi said:

What's with the brightwing anyway? She finally got a nice single-target clutch heal and can keep even tanks alive for much longer thanks to the %HP heal, plus she's great against AoE spell damage and has built-in aoe cleanse...

Her overall healing contribution is still very low compared to other healers. I tested a couple of builds and most of them are underwhelming. Especially Q build, which looks great on paper (good silence), low cd, but doesn't really work so well in actual games because it's mostly dependent on hitting enemies with the center of the AOE, which is tricky. 

We played qms yesterday and what caught our attention was the fact that while we roamed Hanamura with two tough tanks and Brightwing, we didn't notice her healing output at all. My friend even asked me, - "where are your heals, WTF?"

Here lvl 20 talents barely make any sense, while aoe pixie dust is cool, everything else is barely useful, emerald wind upgrade is just bizarre, 5 sec ulti that costs 200 mana, wtf, she has 690 mana on lvl 20.

Edited by Kuarinofu

19 minutes ago, Kuarinofu said:

Her overall healing contribution is still very low compared to other healers. I tested a couple of builds and most of them are underwhelming. Especially Q build, which looks great on paper (good silence), low cd, but doesn't really work so well in actual games because it's mostly dependent on hitting enemies with the center of the AOE, which is tricky. 

We played qms yesterday and what caught our attention was the fact that while we roamed Hanamura with two tough tanks and Brightwing, we didn't notice her healing output at all. My friend even asked me, - "where are your heals, WTF?"

Here lvl 20 talents barely make any sense, while aoe pixie dust is cool, everything else is barely useful, emerald wind upgrade is just bizarre, 5 sec ulti that costs 200 mana, wtf, she has 690 mana on lvl 20.

I personally enjoy her PolymorphPolymorph build with Blink HealBlink Heal. In the endgame she can put the entire team into permanent stealth through Invisible Friends, and they regen a lot of health as long they don't reveal themselves. It is insane. I think she should be at least mid-Tier since she has a lot more of utility now. But yeah, hear healing output was never high enough to compete with the top tier healers, specially since her niche functions better in anti-dive / highly defensive teams.

Kerrigan should be higher as well. She is hitting pretty hard and has insane sustain through her shields, which are a lot better now; I dare to say her sustain is better than Fenix's now.

Edited by Valhalen
  • Like 1

I think the updated kit requires players to adjust to it. Hyper ShiftHyper Shift healing stacks up nicely and makes for a great bait, but instead of casting it preemptively as you would do before (considering the old level 7 shield) you are supposed to cast it in a specified moment in a teamfight when the person you are trying to peel is down by ~20-30% HP, so you can utilitze the healing and add a level 7 shield on top of that (which is the best pick). The new shield lasts only for 5 seconds, so it requires more skill, but it goes along with the new way of using it.

Her Soothing MistSoothing Mist healing output is as it always should be (low enough to justify her having a well-rounded kit), but with an added option to reset it quickly with a well-landed Q. 

I agree with Valhalen, that the Blink HealBlink Heal is a great option. I have yet to test the Lvl20 Blink upgrade, because it didn't convince me initally on paper. Not sure about the level 1 polymorph talent though, I feel like Hyper ShiftHyper Shift CD reduction/bonus healing is quite potent, but once I'll get into a more aggresive composition, then I'd probably be picking Greater PolymorphGreater Polymorph 

Also, I really love the new lvl 16 Phase Out talent, which has replaced the level 13 Ice BlockIce Block. Most of the time it makes more sense to use stasis in order to dodge a particular ability or two instead of waiting full 3 seconds for enemy to catch up on you. My only concern is that it is exclusive with a classic CritterizeCritterize , which is great talent on its own or potentially game breaking with lvl1 and lvl4 Poly talents.

When it comes to lvl 20 talents I had a blast with AoE Pixie Dust, but how will it fare depends on your level 13 talent most of the time. If you've picked additional spell armor, then the 50% spell reduction for 4 seconds + another Pixie Dust on the hero of your choice is a deal breaker against the mages. It also boosts your team's movement speed by 20%, which is quite an underrated stat, plus you can buff it up to 40% if you need a strong Lucio's level dis(engage) against any given comp. 

Edited by Mefi

16 minutes ago, Mefi said:

I agree with Valhalen, that the Blink HealBlink Heal is a great option. I have yet to test the Lvl20 Blink upgrade, because it didn't convince me initally on paper. Not sure about the level 1 polymorph talent though, I feel like Hyper ShiftHyper Shift CD reduction/bonus healing is quite potent, but once I'll get into a more aggresive composition, then I'd probably picking Greater PolymorphGreater Polymorph 

I was a bit skeptical at first, but Invisible Friends is really powerful, because it is a permanent stealth given to both Brightwing and her target ally as long they don't perform any other action, and it functions like any other stealth, meaning you become completely invisible as long you don't move for a few seconds.

I wouldn't say it's her best level 20 talent, but it can be a gamewinning talent in the right circumstances, specially if your team can do some really nasty ganks and setup traps. For example, I was in a game in Hanamura yesterday where I made my entire team invisible, and we won by setting up a trap near the objective. And we had a Garrosh. In stealth. That is scary.

As for the Greater PolymorphGreater Polymorph, she becomes even more annoying with the increased range. And the resets are fantastic in teamfights where you gain the upper-hand. In that same match I described above the enemy team had a Murky, so you can imagine how many resets I was getting, haha.

Edited by Valhalen

Kerrigan is insanely low on this list. If played even half way right her shields become insane. She does even more damage than before the rework, and now can survive to do it. I'm pretty sure she's an instant pick/ban at any level they can properly land her combo.

12 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

I was a bit skeptical at first, but Invisible Friends is really powerful, because it is a permanent stealth given to both Brightwing and her target ally as long they don't perform any other action, and it functions like any other stealth, meaning you become completely invisible as long you don't move for a few seconds.

I wouldn't say it's her best level 20 talent, but it can be a gamewinning talent in the right circumstances, specially if your team can do some really nasty ganks and setup traps. For example, I was in a game in Hanamura yesterday where I made my entire team invisible, and we won by setting up a trap near the objective. And we had a Garrosh. In stealth. That is scary.

As for the level 1 Polymorph talent, she becomes even more annoying with the increased range. And the resets are fantastic in teamfights where you gain the upper-hand.

I've just tested level 1 poly and I'm sold! The range increase is fantastic in many ways. Most importantly it helps dealing with kiting backline heroes.

Edited by Mefi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As someone who has played BW a lot before Suppocalypse and tried her now, she is really good, but there are some quirks.

Situations that help her: Your team doesn't fully rely on your heals (they have self sustain like Raynor and Blaze). their team is melee or they rely on some dive hero like Kerrigan or Tracer. You really need temmates who can follow upon Polymorph.
Maps like Dragon Shire where your team will be separated also helps her as she shines in smaller fights. One quirk is that you might have to sit in that lane for a while, as you need minions to die near you to get CDR, it's no longer from healing.

Q build is tricky, incosistent, sure. BUT, as soon as you hit first person or they start clumping up, it becomes incredibly easy to hit next one, as they will be slowed for 40%(!) for 3s. You can easily setup kills with that.
Edit: There are also some quirks like being able to stop channels like Guldan's Drain LifeDrain Life or Azmodan's All Shall BurnAll Shall Burn and similar. 
One more thing to add, right now she has 50% armor for 3s, which can increased to 6s with AoE Pixie at 20. Which again goes with she does best, prevent damage and add CC. Your heals help, but that's not where she shines.

And yes, Kerrigan should be waaaaaaay up.

Edited by SleepySheepy
  • Like 1

Just adding my thoughts to this tier list.

I understand why Mephisto is lower than I expected at first. While Consume SoulsConsume Souls is a very powerful heroic, with a great level 20 upgrade, it's far more potent in pub games, while having less value against good and competitive players. His biggest downside is probably that his shade's location visible to enemies. Lacking an escape hurts him for sure, though. 

Regarding Brightwing, her rework was good, but I can't help but feel like she still isn't meta. Her sustained healing is far better, but she lacks on demand and single target healing - something that the top healers right now (Tyrande, Whitemane, etc.) have plenty of. Fun rework that makes her more rewarding to play, but I don't see her shining in the current CC and dive oriented meta.

Kerrigan's rework on the other hand, has made her much more viable. Her survivability has shot through the roof, and her damage is still extremely high. As always though, she remains very vulnerable to targeted CC, because a Kerrigan that can't do damage is a Kerrigan that gains no shields, and therefore dies quickly. She does fit very well into the dive meta though, and her combo can provide an abundant amount of CC that allies can take advantage of. While she didn't really receive many gameplay changes, she certainly feels more powerful.

Tyrande's rework was very successful, and she's a true solo healer now. She fits perfectly into the current meta. 

I also think Maiev could certainly jump up a spot. While she lacks self sustain, which can hurt her performance, her physical damage build can provide an insane amount of sustained AoE damage, which combined with her utility from Umbral BindUmbral Bind and Containment DiscContainment Disc/Warden's CageWarden's Cage, makes her a menace in the right hands. She isn't really contested in casual play, but the opposite is true for high level and competitive games. 

Edited by Maxkitty

1 hour ago, Maxkitty said:

I'm somewhat surprised to see Mephisto down so low. His damage is great, he can dive backlines, and his Consume SoulsConsume Souls ult is undeniably one of the most powerful heroics in the game, with a busted level 20 upgrade.

Meph is a tricky hero to get consistent value from.  His base damage is good (great even), at least prior to his recent nerf, but only if you get the correct positioning (both yours and your opponents).  He has a heck of a time poking effectively since his Lightning Nova has short range and his Skull is a skill shot with a delay making it easy to dodge.  His teleport is useful for getting his Nova going but isn't an escape and leaves him very vulnerable to skill shots targeting his return spot.  His Ult is fun and great for pub stomping but against people who are used to playing around abilities like it (from games like LoL, Dota 2, and others) it's not nearly as impressive as some make it out to be.  He's kinda in a tough spot.  You need to be good to get the most out of him but against similarly good players he gets played around a lot.  At least that's my take on why his ranking is lower than some expect it to be.

19 minutes ago, KSDT said:

Meph is a tricky hero to get consistent value from.  His base damage is good (great even), at least prior to his recent nerf, but only if you get the correct positioning (both yours and your opponents).  He has a heck of a time poking effectively since his Lightning Nova has short range and his Skull is a skill shot with a delay making it easy to dodge.  His teleport is useful for getting his Nova going but isn't an escape and leaves him very vulnerable to skill shots targeting his return spot.  His Ult is fun and great for pub stomping but against people who are used to playing around abilities like it (from games like LoL, Dota 2, and others) it's not nearly as impressive as some make it out to be.  He's kinda in a tough spot.  You need to be good to get the most out of him but against similarly good players he gets played around a lot.  At least that's my take on why his ranking is lower than some expect it to be.

That's true, I've updated my post to reflect that. My experiences with him were mostly in pubs games, so that further solidifies your point. In competitive games and against good players, I can see Mephisto being far less viable.

23 minutes ago, Androski said:

I never expected to live long enough to see the day that Twin Blyads reaches a higher tier than Taunt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Friendly reminder that Kerrigan isn't "low" tier, but rather, situational. Situational heroes can be excellent in the right... situation. However, I did give her a + as I believe her rework has made her more versatile, making her a contender for the "regular" tier list. When we have more data, I'll move her - mid or high tier, depending. I may also have mistakenly labeled Tyrande as a support when I wanted her as  healer, but there's a bit of room for debate here, so I'll leave her as is for the time being.

5 hours ago, SleepySheepy said:

Situations that help her: Your team doesn't fully rely on your heals (they have self sustain like Raynor and Blaze).

Great support, as long as you don't need her to heal. Sounds pretty good!

Wow! Pleased to see Ana getting the recognition!  If you master her, the burst healing and denial are going to be huge as we head into double support meta (I think we all know we're very nearly there).  

Nice to see Tyra back at the top, albeit in a more straightforward healer role than she was.  I feel like shes a bit more one-dimensional than she was, but that's a good tradeoff since shes actually a strong healer now as opposed to a jack of all, master of none.

I need to spend more time with Kerri to see if I can appreciate her placement here.  Her changes looked exciting, I just haven't had enough games to digest them yet.

3 hours ago, shanghaied said:

Wow! Pleased to see Ana getting the recognition!  If you master her, the burst healing and denial are going to be huge as we head into double support meta (I think we all know we're very nearly there).  

Double support is never returning back, as all supports don't deal enough damage* and have poor waveclear. On top of that, taking away their Cleanse for pseudo versions made sure you can pick people off.

I could be full of poo poo, as some teams manage to make (pre-rework)BW+Uther comp work.

*Whitemane and Auriel being an exception.

Edited by SleepySheepy

3 hours ago, CorneliusBrutus said:

Great support, as long as you don't need her to heal. Sounds pretty good!

That's like saying you pick Stukov, Uther or Deckard just for the heals. No.
If I wasn't clear, I'm not claiming she is meta pick or something. But she definitely can be placed in general list, opposed to previous (very) situational list. Do you need global that can provide really good amount of CC and disengage and you aren't relying on targeted healing, like Tyrande and Whitemane can provide, take BW.  

Wow, a lot of changes that I don't expect there.

How's Arthas high tier? I genuinely think that he's the one of the worst main tanks right now.

Isn't Twin Blade just an NA (LUL) thing?

I think Deckard is still high tier though. He's still considered one of the best healers currently, and his popularity certainly reflects that.

I think Diablo should be a 'Meta Pick'. He has nearly 100% popularity from what I've seen. Either he's first banned, or picked if not.

6 hours ago, SleepySheepy said:

That's like saying you pick Stukov, Uther or Deckard just for the heals. No.
If I wasn't clear, I'm not claiming she is meta pick or something. But she definitely can be placed in general list, opposed to previous (very) situational list. Do you need global that can provide really good amount of CC and disengage and you aren't relying on targeted healing, like Tyrande and Whitemane can provide, take BW.  

Well...she is in generalists. Low-tier generalists. Sounds about right. I would pick any of those guys above her, and many more for their CC and peel. Only thing BW provides over others is the teleport, which is only useful depending on the maps in the rotation. I cringe internally if someone on my team takes Brightwing.

Edited by CorneliusBrutus