Raynor Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Raynor. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Raynor's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Raynor's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Raynor efficiently.
Raynor's Tips and Tricks
- Movement is crucial when playing Raynor, since he lacks any gap-closing abilities. Thus, make sure to constantly keep stutter stepping in between each Basic Attack even while fighting Minions in lane.
- You can manually reassign a new target to your Banshee by hovering your cursor over the desired target and pressing R again.
- Penetrating Round can be used to knock enemies away from you. It can also be used to knock enemies towards your teammates.
- Inspire also works on Minions and Mercenaries. Use it during pushes to take down enemy Structures more quickly.
- Mana: 65
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
Deal 220 (+4% per level) damage, knock back, and Slow enemies in a line by 20% for 2 seconds. Enemies close to Raynor are knocked back further.
Penetrating Round fulfills a variety of purposes. This enables Raynor to use it both defensively and offensively. If used defensively, this ability is capable of knocking enemy initiators back from Raynor, which allows him to reposition himself. If used offensively, Penetrating Round acts as a solid form of waveclear capable of damaging an entire Minion Wave as they walk in a file towards you.
Even though Penetrating Rounds deals high damage, against specific Heroes it is good to be conservative about using it in fights. Not using it until Blaze starts using Jet Propulsion or until Yrel leaps with Avenging Wrath is a great choice, since canceling those abilities with the knockback will greatly reduce the effectiveness of those Heroes.
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 12 seconds
Raynor and all nearby allied Minions and Mercenaries gain 30% Attack Speed and 10% Movement Speed for 4 seconds.
Casting Inspire resets Raynor's Basic Attack cooldown.
Inspire is an impactful ability, as it buffs not only Raynor's Attack Speed but also that of Minions and Mercenaries. This causes it to be particularly useful during pushes and sieges towards enemy Structures. Do not be conservative with this Ability; it greatly increases your damage output and mobility. In fights, we recommend you to keep using it when it is available, right after you hit a Basic Attack, to abuse the reset mechanic.
- Mana: 75
- Cooldown: 45 seconds
Heal Raynor for 25% of his maximum Health over 1 second. Raynor's Basic Attacks lower the cooldown of this by 0.5 seconds, doubled against Heroes.
Adrenaline Rush is Raynor's main source of self-sustain. Similarly to other healing abilities, it can be manually activated and then restores a significant amount of his health.
Adrenaline Rush can help you to stay in lane, which allows you to keep soaking experience. However, keep in mind that Adrenaline Rush's cooldown is quite high. Thus, make sure to keep attacking enemies in order to lower the cooldown slowly but surely.
- Mana: 100
- Cooldown: 100 seconds
Order the Hyperion to make a strafing run for 12 seconds, hitting up to 4 enemies for 66 (+4% per level) damage every second. Every 4 seconds, it can fire its Yamato Cannon at a Structure, dealing 794 (+4% per level) damage.
Although it moves very slowly, Hyperion can be an impactful Heroic Ability, as it damages several enemies in a very large area. The Hyperion should be used when pushing towards the enemy base or when fighting over static Map Objectives, such as the Guardians on Infernal Shrines or the Temples on Sky Temple. This forces the enemy team to either fight within its area of effect and thus take heavy damage from its lasers, or to give up a Map Objective. Either way it becomes a win-win situation. This strength, however, also becomes its weakness when fighting in open space, which simply allows the enemy to walk away from it and re-engage from another position.
- Cooldown: 45 seconds
Summon a Banshee that assists Raynor. The Banshee deals 84 (+4% per level) damage per second and regenerates 75 (+4% per level) Health per second if it hasn't taken damage in the last 4 seconds. Can reactivate to retarget or move the Banshee.
The Banshee respawns automatically after 45 seconds.
While Hyperion focuses more on pushing and damaging multiple enemies at the same time, Raynor's Raider increases Raynor's damage against single targets. The sustained damage provided by the Banshee can cause his enemies to retreat, which then allows Raynor to either focus on a new target or chase down his original one. The Banshee's superior movement speed outpaces most Heroes, which makes them very effective pursuers.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when using Raynor's Raider.
- The Banshee should almost always be used on priority targets to take them down as quickly as possible.
- The Banshee moves faster than most Heroes which makes it a formidable chaser.
- Hovering over a different Hero with your mouse and pressing R causes the Banshee to attack the desired target. This procedure also allows you to manually re-assign a different target.
- When Raynor dies, the Banshee disappears as well.
Give 'Em Some Pepper
Every 4th Basic Attack splashes in a small area and deals 125% more damage to the main target.
Give 'Em Some Pepper is Raynor's passive Trait, which greatly increases both his damage during team fights and waveclear. Make sure to spend as much time using Basic Attacks as possible in order to trigger its bonus damage. Bear in mind that the bonus damage also applies to PvE targets, such as Structures, Minions, or Mercenaries, which turns Raynor into a decent pusher.
- 22 Apr. 2020: Added deeper description into Raynor's Abilities.
- 04 Jul. 2019: Revised and updated Raynor's Abilities.
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 10-11
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 10-11
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 3-4
- The "Grandfather" of Classic Omar Gonzalez Left Blizzard for Dreamhaven
- Tune in to Masters Clash Championship this Weekend: April 3-4
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad
- Heroes of the Storm Master Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Valla
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes of the Storm Deckard
- Heroes of the Storm Probius