Demon Hunter Natalya's Vengeance Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7.6 / Season 29)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Demon Hunters who have access to the Natalya's Vengeance set.
This guide is part of our Demon Hunter Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Evasive Fire Focus Multishot Wind Chill 1 Caltrops Bait the Trap 2 Vault Tumble 3 Smoke Screen Special Recipe 4 Spike Trap Lightning Rod
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
At its absolute basics, this build revolves around putting down as many Caltrops and Spike Traps as you can, with the former ramping up the damage of the latter. Get used to a basic rotation of scouting around with Vault and pulling as many enemies as you can efficiently handle to an advantageous position. It's useful to learn the mechanics of monster pulling with the Natalya set as early as you can, so try to replicate the following rotation: 1) placing Spike Trap on top of one monster group, then 2) comboing Caltrops and your Hatred spender ( Multishot in this case) in quick succession to draw the enemies in one tight "pixel pull", and 3) repeating the process for all nearby monster packs. This forms one massive pull, which greatly benefits your Area Damage stats. Once the pull is set up and showed down from your Caltrops, stack 10 Spike Traps (your maximum — more and you simply overwrite the oldest) on top of the pull, and detonate them with the use of your Hatred spender. Use Smoke Screen to get out of tricky situations, or to boost yourself through the map (due to Tactical Advantage).
- Slot 1 — Damage: The main damage dealer and focal point of the build are the Spike Traps. Through the Natalya set bonuses, Spike Trap loses its resource cost, recharges immediately upon use, and attains additional crowd control and damage reduction properties. On top of that, the Traps' detonation even restores Discipline, enabling the frequent use of utility skills. All of that is augmented by a massive layer of damage bonuses — upfront on the initial blast, then a stacking one for each consecutive explosion from the detonated chain reaction. Prior to getting all the items for the endgame build, we recommend using the Lightning rune Lightning Rod for its farming utility and ease of use.
- Slot 2 — Generator: While you can technically run any 7 Hatred generator in this slot, Evasive Fire Focus makes a compelling case for itself with its convenient arc and predictable targeting.
- Slot 3 & 4 — Mobility: Smoke Screen will be there to fall back to whenever you expect a large, sudden spike of damage, as it renders you untargetable as well as invisible to surrounding enemies for a second. Vault should be used for general scouting and maneuverability.
- Slot 5 — Utility: Caltrops are another vital piece of the puzzle; enemies affected by them take double damage from Spike Traps and in turn, trap detonations displace enemies to the nearest set Caltrops. The preferred rune for the skill is the Crit Chance-boosting Bait the Trap, which augments your damage while you stand in its effective radius.
- Slot 6 — Supplementary damage: In order to trigger the Spike Trap detonations, in most cases you will have to use a Hatred spender. Early on when you're getting used to the build, we recommend using Multishot Wind Chill. Its screen-wide effect, sizeable Crit Chance boost and additional Slowing effect make a perfect fit for the needs of a Trapper Demon Hunter.
- Passives: For early game Natalya progression, it is advisable to lean on a utility- and farming-oriented setup: taking Custom Engineering and Ambush as a necessity for Spike Trap builds, Tactical Advantage for superior speed, and Ambush as a failsafe for dire situations.
Gear and Builds Using This Set
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have a rough list of high priority items to obtain, as well as a link to the build they pertain to.
- Spike Trap Build — Chanon Bolter (2h Crossbow); The Demon's Demise and Dawn (1h Crossbows); Convention of Elements (ring); Trag'Oul Coils and Wraps of Clarity (bracers).
- 15 Sep. 2023: Reviewed for Season 29.
- 22 Feb. 2023: Reworked for Season 28.
- 10 Dec. 2021: Reviewed for Season 25.
- 23 Jul. 2021: Reviewed for Season 24.
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- Diablo 4 Patch 1.3.1 Hotfixes: February 7th
- How To Get All Lunar Awakening Cosmetics and Mount Very Fast in Diablo 4’s New Event
- Protection Shrines May Not Work Correctly After Lunar Awakening Patch
- Workaround for Diablo 4 Crashing While Loading
- The Gauntlet & Leaderboards Launch Delayed
- World Tier 4 Vault and Trading Re-Enabled
- Timeline of Blizzard Presidents
- World Tier 4 Vault of the Loom Temporarily Disabled