Demon Hunter Unhallowed Essence Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7.2 / Season 25)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Demon Hunters who have access to the Unhallowed Essence set.
This guide is part of our Demon Hunter Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Evasive Fire Focus Multishot Wind Chill 1 Vengeance Seethe 2 Vault Tumble 3 Companion Bat Companion 4 Preparation Invigoration|
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
You will alternate generating Hatred through Evasive Fire Focus and spending it in powerful Multishot volleys. You can activate Preparation when low on Discipline, but the skill is taken mostly for the Unhallowed Essence 6-piece benefits from Invigoration. With its significant downtimes in early character progression, Vengeance should be used only for significant fights (high density, elites and Rift Guardians). The rest of your Hatred management will come from Companion Bat Companion, which you can swap to Wolf Companion once you are confident with resources. As usual, Vault will take you in, out and from fight to fight.
- Multishot is the obvious choice for a damage dealing hatred spender in an Unhallowed Essence build; you have two viable runes to choose from, Arsenal and Wind Chill. While Arsenal deals higher damage overall, it is more GR-progression oriented, requiring swaps in your passives into Thrill of the Hunt and Arsenal — both of which significantly deviate from your main goal, utility and speedfarm. Wind Chill applies a chilling effect prior to dealing damage, proccing Cull the Weak (and later on, Bane of the Trapped) automatically. Allowing you better speedrun passives and offering a party-wide Crit Chance increase makes Wind Chill the recommendation. Note that you acquire Multishot damage bonuses from the Unhallowed Essence as late as the 6-piece, so you can run any spender to your liking prior to that point.
- While you can technically run any 7 Hatred generator in this slot, Evasive Fire fires in a wide ark, helpfully reminiscent of Multishot and with a high chance of hitting a target without the need of much aim.
- Unchanged from the leveling build, Vault Tumble gives you the best ground covered to Discipline spent ratio, making it the preferable skill for the purpose of mobility.
- You will keep Companion like a swiss knife at your side, but you will adjust its utility according to your preferences; it is likely you will struggle with Hatred in an early Multishot spec, so you can safely fall to the Bat Companion crutch until you acquire key legendaries to stabilize resources with.
- Preparation will also remain in the build, but needs to be changed into Invigoration as soon as you acquire the 6-piece Unhallowed Essence bonus, as it extends your Discipline pool.
- Similarly to Multishot, Vengeance draws damage benefits from the Unhallowed Essence set, and brings a multiplicative damage buff of its own. Its major role in the build comes from the Seethe rune however, and obtaining its amazing Hatred regeneration permanently through cooldown reduction stacking and cubing Dawn will be one of your gearing priorities.
- For early game Unhallowed Essence progression, it is advisable to keep most of the leveling setup ( Steady Aim, Blood Vengeance and Tactical Advantage), but abandon Custom Engineering along with its sentries for the multiplicative damage increase of Cull the Weak.
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have listed the top three priority items to obtain when starting out with this set.
- Yang's Recurve — this bow is tailor-made for Unhallowed Essence and Multishot, with a myriad of affixes that are all too helpful to ignore. Naturally rolling with up to 50% Resource Cost Reduction, it is already a strong contender for expensive spender builds, but to top it off it increases Multishot attack speed by 50%.
- Dawn — the power of this legendary one-handed crossbow is one the most attractive options to consume in the Cube. Since Vengeance is a universally desired buff, reducing its cooldown up to 65% and achieving permanent uptime through a modest CDR investment on gear is an opportunity you cannot pass lightly.
- Dead Man's Legacy is a Multishot-specific quiver that doubles the application of your shots as soon as your enemy reaches below 60% health and further increases the damage of your spender.
End-Game Unhallowed Essence Builds
The mini-guide above is simply meant to acquaint you with the set and how a build with just the Haedrig's Gift (or a newly found set), and no supporting legendaries would play out. We have the following endgame-oriented builds that use the set, and encourage you to explore these much stronger playstyles!
- Chakram Demon Hunter Build
- Unhallowed Essence Grenades Demon Hunter Build
- Unhallowed Essence Multishot Demon Hunter Build
- 10 Dec. 2021: Reviewed for Season 25.
- 23 Jul. 2021: Reviewed for Season 24.
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- The Forgotten Nightmares Diablo Immortal Update
- Diablo 4 Closed End Game Beta Draws Near
- Activision Blizzard Games Coming to Game Pass After Microsoft Acquisition
- Diablo Immortal Content Update: Season 4 Battle Pass, New Raid Bosses and Events
- Best Guides for Diablo 3 Season 27
- Diablo 3 Patch 2.7.4 Now Live
- Will Diablo 4 Pre-Orders & Release Date Be Announced at The Game Awards on December 8th?
- Diablo 4 Quarterly Update: August 2022