Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for patch 2.6.4 and Season 16.
1. Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
The build relies on the full power of Tal Rasha's Elements set, wearing 6 of the 7 available pieces during Greater Rift progression. When rolling your gear, a general factor you have to be aware of is the attack speed breakpoint dependent nature of Manald Heal builds. You will be striving to reach the 9 frame breakpoint through maximized attack speed bonuses on Tal Rasha's Relentless Pursuit (natural roll), Tal Rasha's Grasp, your weapon, both rings, and in your Paragon points.
For Season 16 adjustments, please refer to our dedicated section below.
The fixture in your jewelry slots will be the Endless Walk set — The Compass Rose ring and The Traveler's Pledge amulet. They add a unique mechanic that slowly increases your damage by up to a 100% if you remain stationary, and drains it away and increases your damage reduction while moving. This matches the playstyle of Manald Heal wizards well, as they alternate teleporting from pack to pack with extended periods of lightning spell channeling.
Your other ring slot will vary according to your better drop — simply wear the better rolled of the two, and cube the other. You have two cornerstone legendary rings in the build, one for offense and one for defense:
- The cornerstone offense ring is Manald Heal — a Patch 2.4.3 rework that introduces a chance for a massive damage proc on enemies stunned by the Paralysis passive. Due to the significant range of the unique property however (13,000-14,000%), there is a good chance you will need to cube Manald Heal until you find a higher end roll. In terms of game mechanics, it is important to note that Manald Heal is unaffected by proc coefficients and internal cooldowns, and can trigger multiple times during a Paralysis proc — making Attack Speed a highly desirable stat. The Manald Heal proc factors in crit stats, but will not trigger area damage, further influencing itemization. Additionally, Manald Heal's proc does not scale with Lightning damage on gear, making the otherwise popular elemental damage rolls on gear pointless. Last but not least, even if Paralysis procs and does not stun due to the diminishing returns on crowd control, Manald Heal will still produce its damage, making the ring deceptively potent.
- The cornerstone defense ring, Halo of Arlyse, will be paired with the Ancient Parthan Defenders bracer for a potent protective combo. Together, they multiply the effectiveness of the Ice Armor mitigation and provide unparalleled crowd control. Halo of Arlyse releases a constant streak of Frost Novas, unhindered by internal cooldowns. In turn, their freezing effect triggers Ancient Parthan Defenders for a massive damage reduction pool in bigger fights.
Your shoulder piece during GR progression will be Mantle of Channeling, which will increase your damage during Arcane Torrent channeling with 25% while simultaneously reducing damage taken by the same amount.
We take several factors under consideration for the boots slot. First, while they are tailor-made for the Tal Rasha set, Nilfur's Boast boots emphasize Meteor damage, which this build does not rely on. Second, there is a distinct lack of attractive alternatives in the slot, with the possible exceptions of Ice Climbers and Boots of Disregard. And third, freedom of movement is vital in Greater Rift progression — and no other piece delivers quite like Illusory Boots, which allow you to ignore enemy collision and Waller affixes alike.
1.1. Season 16 Adjustments
During Season 16 (and in seasonal play only), you will be getting the benefits of Ring of Royal Grandeur passively, without the need to wear it. For the Manald Heal Wizard builds, this allows you to double up on both defense and utility.
By simply dropping one of the Tal Rasha pieces, Tal Rasha's Relentless Pursuit, you are able to shift the Aquila Cuirass from the Cube and free up a utility legendary slot in its place. For general Greater Rifting purposes, we recommend Nemesis Bracers — the build thrives on building up density, and elite density brings the biggest value of all. The Nemesis Bracers will net you an extra elite at every pylon in GRs, which is an opportune moment, since it is usually followed by a considerable spike in power.
2. Paragon Points
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem procs itself with its level 25 property, and is otherwise triggered by Paralysis and Halo of Arlyse.
Taeguk is a rare hybrid of defense and offense among the legendary gem options, and continued Arcane Torrent channeling will ensure that your stacks remain capped for a constant, well-rounded benefit.
You have two viable alterations in this gem slot, both aimed at increasing Attack Speed and subsequent Manald Heal procs. Pain Enhancer increases your Attack Speed by 3% per bleeding enemy within a 20 yard radius, which scales much better over its alternative if you gamble on finding high monster density rifts. Gogok of Swiftness is capped at 15% IAS, but is much easier to attain (simply based on attacks), and also offerse a protective angle with scaling Dodge chance. This is a more consistent, safer option.
|Torso and Pants||
4. Kanai's Cube
The build extracts Orb of Infinite Depth in the weapon Cube slot — with the use of Explosive Blast Obliterate you will quickly and inexpensively halve incoming damage, as well as gain a minor damage increase.
Aquila Cuirass will halve incoming damage as long as Arcane Power does not dip below 90% of its reserve, which is the major incentive behind the resource cost reduction and arcane power refunding focus of the build.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 18 Jan. 2019: Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #38
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 37
- Season 17 Pushed Back to May + All Season Durations
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode 36
- Activision Blizzard Q4 2018 Earnings Call & Layoffs
- Activision Blizzard Layoffs to Be Announced Soon?
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #35
- Icy Veins Podcast Episode #34
- Why no Litany of the Undaunted Builds? (patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Star Pact Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Twister Wizard (Patch 2.6.4)
- Whirlwind Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Rathma Mages Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- Condemn Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- Is Corpse Lance the most powerful build we have for Necromancer?