Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard BiS Gear, Gems, and Paragon Points
Below, we detail the items and gems that you should use for your Lightning Arcane Torrent Wizard in Diablo 3 and why. We also list your paragon points and Kanai's Cube items. Updated for patch 2.6.9 and Season 21.
Best in Slot Gear and Alternatives
The build relies on the full power of Tal Rasha's Elements set, wearing 6 of the 7 available pieces during Greater Rift progression. When rolling your gear, a general factor you have to be aware of is the attack speed breakpoint dependent nature of Manald Heal builds. You will be striving to reach the 9 frame breakpoint through maximized attack speed bonuses on Tal Rasha's Relentless Pursuit (natural roll), Tal Rasha's Grasp, your weapon, both rings, and in your Paragon points.
The fixture in your jewelry slots will be the Endless Walk set — The Compass Rose ring and The Traveler's Pledge amulet. They add a unique mechanic that slowly increases your damage by up to a 100% if you remain stationary, and drains it away and increases your damage reduction while moving. This matches the playstyle of Manald Heal wizards well, as they alternate teleporting from pack to pack with extended periods of lightning spell channeling (see this build's skills page for more information).
Your other ring slot will vary according to your better drop — simply wear the better rolled of the two, and cube the other. You have two cornerstone legendary rings in the build, one for offense and one for defense.
- The cornerstone offense ring is Manald Heal — a Patch 2.4.3 rework that introduces a chance for a massive damage proc on enemies stunned by the Paralysis passive. Due to the significant range of the unique property however (13,000-14,000%), there is a good chance you will need to cube Manald Heal until you find a higher end roll. In terms of game mechanics, it is important to note that Manald Heal is unaffected by proc coefficients and internal cooldowns, and can trigger multiple times during a Paralysis proc — making Attack Speed a highly desirable stat. The Manald Heal proc factors in crit stats, but will not trigger area damage, further influencing itemization. Additionally, Manald Heal's proc does not scale with Lightning damage on gear, making the otherwise popular elemental damage rolls on gear pointless. Last but not least, even if Paralysis procs and does not stun due to the diminishing returns on crowd control, Manald Heal will still produce its damage, making the ring deceptively potent.
- The cornerstone defense ring, Halo of Arlyse, will be paired with the Ancient Parthan Defenders bracer for a potent protective combo. Together, they multiply the effectiveness of the Ice Armor mitigation and provide unparalleled crowd control. Halo of Arlyse releases a constant streak of Frost Novas, unhindered by internal cooldowns. In turn, their freezing effect triggers Ancient Parthan Defenders for a massive damage reduction pool in bigger fights.
Your shoulder piece during GR progression will be Mantle of Channeling, which will increase your damage during Arcane Torrent channeling with 25% while simultaneously reducing damage taken by the same amount.
We take several factors under consideration for the boots slot. First, while they are tailor-made for the Tal Rasha set, Nilfur's Boast boots emphasize Meteor damage, which this build does not rely on. Second, there is a distinct lack of attractive alternatives in the slot, with the possible exceptions of Ice Climbers and Boots of Disregard. And third, freedom of movement is vital in Greater Rift progression — and no other piece delivers quite like Illusory Boots, which allow you to ignore enemy collision and Waller affixes alike.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
Bane of the Trapped is a potent source of additional damage, as it is its own multiplier in your total damage calculation. The gem procs itself with its level 25 property, and is otherwise triggered by Paralysis and Halo of Arlyse.
Taeguk is a rare hybrid of defense and offense among the legendary gem options, and continued Arcane Torrent channeling will ensure that your stacks remain capped for a constant, well-rounded benefit.
You have two viable alterations in this gem slot, both aimed at increasing Attack Speed and subsequent Manald Heal procs. Pain Enhancer increases your Attack Speed by 3% per bleeding enemy within a 20 yard radius, which scales much better over its alternative if you gamble on finding high monster density rifts. Gogok of Swiftness is capped at 15% IAS, but is much easier to attain (simply based on attacks), and also offerse a protective angle with scaling Dodge chance. This is a more consistent, safer option.
|Torso and Pants||
For more information about gems, please refer to our guide on gems.
The build extracts Orb of Infinite Depth in the weapon Cube slot — with the use of Explosive Blast Obliterate you will quickly and inexpensively halve incoming damage, as well as gain a minor damage increase.
Aquila Cuirass will halve incoming damage as long as Arcane Power does not dip below 90% of its reserve, which is the major incentive behind the resource cost reduction and arcane power refunding focus of the build.
The Kanai's Cube can be used for much more than simply extracting Legendary powers from items. Please refer to our Kanai's Cube guide for more information.
For more information regarding followers, we advise you to read our Follower Guide, which contains detailed advice for choosing the skills and the gear of your follower.
- 01 Jul. 2020: No changes required for Season 21.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Reviewed for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed and approved for Season 18.
- 17 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 18 Jan. 2019: Added suggestions for the baseline Ring of Royal Grandeur for Seasonal characters.
- Season 21 Buff Not Active on Consoles
- All Diablo 3 Season 21 Class Guides (Patch 2.6.9)
- Barbarian, Crusader and Demon Hunter Season 21 Guides Are Live
- Necromancer Simulacrum Hotfix: Patch 2.6.9a
- The Rat Is Dead: Long Live the Demon Hunter Speed Meta
- Which Class to Play in Diablo 3 Season 21? Solo, Group and Speedfarm Rankings
- Diablo 3 Season 21 Start Times
- Demon Hunter Set Guides Spotlight for Season 21: Gears of Dreadlands
- Thorns Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Rathma Mages Necromancer (Patch 2.6.4)
- Mundunugu Spirit Barrage Witch Doctor
- Demon Hunter Hungering Arrow with GoD
- Support Barbarian (Patch 2.6.4)
- Masquerade Bone Spear Necromancer
- Season Leveling : On which difficulty ?
- Speed Running Tier List