Chen Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Chen. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Chen's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Chen's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Chen efficiently.
Chen's Tips and Tricks
- Flying Kick can be used on enemy Structures as well, which makes it a great ability to leap over Walls, Forts, or Towers.
- Remember that Keg Smash can also be used defensively to slow down engaging enemies.
- When Storm, Earth, Fire expires, Chen returns to pre-cast health value. If all three Spirits die, so does Chen.
- Fortifying Brew can be used to minimize the damage-over-time taken from Stagger.
- Brew: 10
- Cooldown: 5 seconds
Kick through target enemy, dealing 120 (+4% per level) damage.
Flying Kick is Chen's most reliable source of mobility and allows him to engage team fights or to escape from enemies. Similar to Illidan's Dive, Flying Kick can also be used on enemy Structures like Forts and Walls to re-position yourself.
It is also important to remember that Flying Kick always places you behind your chosen target, which is why this ability is an excellent tool to potentially body block retreating opponents. This allows your teammates to catch up and secure a kill.
- Brew: 30
- Cooldown: 1 seconds
Deal 50 (+4% per level) damage and soak enemies in Brew for 3 seconds, Slowing them by 10%. After 1.25 seconds, the Slow is increased to 40%.
After being used, this ability becomes Breath of Fire.
Breath of Fire
Deal damage and Ignite Brew-soaked enemies.
Keg Smash proves to be both a great chasing and peeling ability thanks to its Movement Speed Slow. Use it on fleeing opponents to catch up to them or use it on engaging enemies to slow their advance towards your teammates. Either way, make sure to combine it with Breath of Fire in order to trigger its burning effect.
Like Flying Kick or Breath of Fire, Keg Smash also works on enemy Structures, which makes Chen a pretty good pusher overall. In order to clear minion waves most efficiently, we recommend placing Keg Smash's radius over the Wizard minion to hit both melee and ranged minions as well.
Breath of Fire
- Brew: 10
- Cooldown: 0.25 seconds
Breathe a cone of flames, dealing 85 (+4% per level) damage. Enemies that are soaked in Brew are Ignited, dealing 165 (+4% per level) additional damage over 3 seconds and adding 1.5 seconds to the duration of the Slow from Keg Smash.
After being used or after 6 seconds, this ability becomes Keg Smash.
Damage and Slow enemies.
Breath of Fire provides Chen with a short-range AoE ability that can be cast shortly after using Keg Smash. It damages enemies in front of Chen, revealing Stealthed Heroes if they find themselves in its radius. Furthermore, its damage can be increased significantly if used on enemies slowed by Keg Smash.
- Cooldown: 18 seconds
Damage taken over the next 3 seconds is prevented. Once this effect ends, Chen receives 75% of the damage taken over 5 seconds. This damage cannot be modified.
Stagger is Chen's primary damage mitigation tool and allows him to absorb a large amount of damage for a short period of time and convert it into damage-over-time. This allows Healers and Chen himself (by using Fortifying Brew) to better sustain through the damage taken.
Storm, Earth, Fire
- Cooldown: 120 seconds
After 1 second, Chen splits into three elemental spirits for 12 seconds, each with 70% of Chen's maximum Health and a unique Ability. The last spirit Ability that is cast is empowered. If all three spirits are killed, Chen will die as well.
Storm can grant the spirits a Shield.
Earth can leap to an area and Slow enemies.
Fire can grant the spirits Attack Speed, damage.
Storm, Earth, Fire is capable of adding a so-called "second health bar" to Chen, which means his original health gets replaced by that of his three Elemental Spirits. In addition to becoming harder to kill, Storm, Earth, Fire also provides Chen with great mobility, as he is able to manually reposition the Spirits to either body block enemy Heroes or to retreat away from them.
Every Elemental Spirit comes with its own unique ability that can only be used once. It is worth mentioning that the final Spirit's ability is empowered:
- Storm provides a shield to all Spirits that absorbs damage for a short period of time. If Storm's ability is cast last, the shield absorbs a greater amount and becomes unlimited. Furthermore, Storm, Earth, Fire's duration is increased.
- Earth allows the Spirits to leap towards a target location, dealing damage and Slowing the target. If Earth's ability is cast last, it deals more damage and Roots the target as well.
- Fire increases the Spirits' Attack Speed and Attack Damage. If Fire's ability is cast last, the Attack Speed and Damage is increased even further and the Spirits gain a significant Movement Speed buff for the entire duration of this Heroic Ability.
- Cooldown: 60 seconds
Roll around inside an Unstoppable barrel with 70% increased Movement Speed and 25 Armor, dealing 59 (+4% per level) damage to enemies in the way and knocking them back. Lasts for 5 seconds.
Wandering Keg can wreak havoc in the enemy team's formation if used correctly. Usually Chen has two major ways to achieve that. Firstly, Wandering Keg can be used to isolate an enemy Hero by pushing that target into your own team's lines while knocking every other enemy Hero to the side. Secondly, Wandering Keg can be used to disengage by simply keeping enemy Heroes away from your allies. Very rarely it can be used in order to secure Bosses or Mercenary Camps on the capture platform as well.
- Cooldown: 7 seconds
Chen drinks from his keg, gaining 50 Brew and 180 (+4% per level) temporary Shields per second, up to a maximum of 540 (+4% per level) while drinking. Shields persist for 4 seconds after he stops drinking.
As long as Fortifying Brew is channeling, Chen generates shields while drinking, however, you can cancel the drinking process at any time by simply moving or using another ability. Keep in mind that enemy Stun and Silence effects also interrupt Fortifying Brew.
- 12 Jul. 2019: Guide reviewed.
- 17 Jun. 2019: Updated Chen's abilities in accordance with the latest Hero Rework.
- Introducing Mastery Rings
- Heroic Deals: October 15th
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: October 15th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 15th
- Weekly Brawl - Industrial District: October 11th
- Heroic Deals: October 8th
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: October 8th
- Weekly Brawl - Lost Cavern: October 4th
- Heroes of the Storm Kel'Thuzad
- Heroes of the Storm Gazlowe
- Heroes of the Storm Junkrat
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Varian
- Heroes of the Storm Rehgar
- Heroes of the Storm Anduin
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters