Crusader Roland's Legacy Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7 / Season 23)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Crusaders who have access to the Roland's Legacy set.
This guide is part of our Crusader Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Sweep Attack Blazing Sweep Steed Charge Endurance 1 Laws of Valor Unstoppable Force 2 Condemn Vacuum 3 Iron Skin Flash 4 Akarat's Champion Prophet|
The Roland's starter build will be fairly similar to the leveling and fresh 70 build, keeping its rotation and general strategy with minor adjustments.
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the Leveling and Fresh 70 Build, but others will have to adapt to the set you are currently equipping. Abilities that synergize with set bonuses and complementary items take precedence.
- Your main damage dealer from the leveling build will be swapped out from Blessed Hammer to one of the Roland centerpieces, Sweep Attack. Early on, add to it the highest damage dealing rune, Blazing Sweep.
- The 2-piece set bonus of Rolands will all but guarantee the permanent uptime of your Wrath management law, Laws of Valor Unstoppable Force. This skill alone can take care of most of your resource management, allowing your to use Sweep Attack without the need for a generator attack in the build.
- The resource upkeep of Unstoppable Force will allow you to drop one of your other utility slots (usually taken by Provoke in a leveling build) for a defensive skill in the form of Iron Skin. You can either push further down the defensive path with Steel Skin, or convert it into an excellent mobility tool with Flash.
- Condemn will be taken into the build strictly for the crowd control properties of Vacuum, which draws enemies right into Sweep Attack's range.
- Mobility is important from the earliest stages of character progression and all the way into the endgame, making Steed Charge a valuable inclusion in your build. You can either go for the extra duration of Endurance, or add another monster displacement skill through the rune Draw and Quarter.
- You will round your active skill selection out with the mighty Crusader alternate form, Akarat's Champion. This alternate form provides a multiplicative damage increase and Wrath regeneration aspect by default, and along with the rune Prophet — an extra cheat death proc.
- In your passives, you will understandably no longer need Blunt from the Leveling Build, and you can freely replace it with the safety of the Indestructible cheat death, or the general damage increase of Holy Cause.
- Long Arm of the Law complements your Law resetting capabilities from the Rolands 2-piece bonus perfectly, as it extends the benefits of Law activations and allows you to chain them.
- Finery is a Crusader staple, adding 1.5% Strength for every socket across your gear, including weapon and jewelry. Assuming an average of 10 sockets across a well-equipped character, Finery amounts to a decent boost of both damage and toughness.
- Adapt your last passive slot to your currently worn weapon — Heavenly Strength for 2-handed weapons and Fervor for 1-handed weapons. The assumption for Roland's is Heavenly Strength — both Golden Flense and Flail of the Ascended are two-handers.
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have listed the top three priority items to obtain when starting out with this set.
- Golden Flense — this legendary flail makes up for the lack of any elemental or elite bonuses with a massive skill bonus and an indispensable unique property: 6 Wrath refund per enemy hit. Coupled with Unstoppable Force, this weapon will be the foundation of your Wrath management and a solid reason for you to seek bigger and bigger fights.
- Denial — this legendary shield is an integral part of a Sweep Attack-centric build, increasing the damage of your main attack per enemy hit, capping at 5.
- Aquila Cuirass — this legendary chest piece halves incoming damage as long as Wrath doesn't dip below 90% of its reserve, which is not a hard bonus to maintain with the combination of Golden Flense and Unstoppable Force.
End-Game Roland's Legacy Builds
The mini-guide above is simply meant to acquaint you with the set and how a build with just the Haedrig's Gift (or a newly found set), and no supporting legendaries would play out. We have the following endgame-oriented builds that use the set, and encourage you to explore these much stronger playstyles!
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- All Class Skill Videos for Diablo 2: Resurrected
- All Class Skills for Amazon, Barbarian and Sorceress in Action in Diablo 2: Ressurected
- First Dupes Found on Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha
- Korean Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha to Be Extended, Possibly in the West as Well?
- Diablo 2: Resurrected in Ultrawide 32:9, 5120x1440
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Diablo II Resurrected Technical Alpha Starting April 8th