SWK Tempest Rush Monk Speed Farming Variation
On this page, we explain everything that is specific to the Speed Farming variant of SWK Tempest Rush Monk. Updated for patch 2.6.8 and Season 20.
Normal Rift Speed Farming Variation
The Tempest Rush Monk can deal quite well with Normal Rift farming all the way through the highest Torment difficulties. The build variation suffers from minor inconveniences compared to top tier speed farming builds (i.e. conflicting bracers, competing weapon slots), but otherwise handles the task with ease. We have speed farming rankings if you want to know more about which builds are best for speed farming.
Within the limited scope of regular difficulties, the necessary damage and toughness to triumph over the enemy is significantly smaller. Thus, your best course of action is to improve utility and speed.
|Tempest Rush Electric Field Dashing Strike Way of the Falling Star 1 Mantra of Conviction Annihilation 2 Sweeping Wind Inner Storm 3 Cyclone Strike Wall of Wind 4 Epiphany Insight|
When you are speed farming regular rifts, parts of your playstyle will adapt to the lowered challenge and focus more on speed and utility.
In the speed farming Tempest Rush build, you will be applying the necessary CC for Cesar's Memento through the automated Cyclone Strike pulls from Won Khim Lau by selecting the Wall of Wind rune. This allows you to drop Blinding Flash from the progression version of the build, and use the mobility staple Dashing Strike. The build remains largely the same, but you will no longer have to keep track of stacks, since you replace the Flurry rune with the fire-and-forget of Electric Field, which allows you to focus on re-applying self-buffs like Mantra of Conviction Annihilation and Epiphany Insight.
Parts of the skill and passive selection will overlap with the base Greater Rift progression build, but others will have to change according to the task at hand. Ability to cross over great distances faster and more efficiently take precedence.
- Changing the Tempest Rush rune from the stacking mechanics of Flurry (too slow for the purposes of speedfarm) for the increased AoE of the Electric Field rune.
- Replacing Blinding Flash for the Monk's teleportation skill, Dashing Strike. Coupled with the speed buffing Way of the Falling Star rune, this ability is an indispensable tool for overall mobility.
- The lost hard CC from Blinding Flash (necessary to trigger Cesar's Memento) is made up for by taking the Wall of Wind rune on Cyclone Strike, whose casts will be automated by the equipped Won Khim Lau.
- Replacing the unncessarily defensive Mantra of Salvation with the extra movespeed of Mantra of Conviction Annihilation.
- Resource management will be handled by the combination of Sweeping Wind Inner Storm and Epiphany Insight; the loss of survivability due to the latter will be made up via Goldwrap.
- In your passives, you can replace defensive choices like Harmony and The Guardian's Path with the extra damage of Momentum and Seize the Initiative.
You will still be taking advantage of the full 6-piece set bonuses of Sunwuko, incorporating the same split as you would in progression — but instead of the Cpt. Crimson set, you will be including the Sage's Journey set for Death's Breath farming. Take Sage's Ribbon and Sage's Passage, and then complete both the SWK and Sage set bonuses with a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the Cube.
Both the cooldown-over-time resets of Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac and the timed damage increase of Convention of Elements greatly diminish in usefulness during Normal Rift farming. That progresion-oriented jewelry will be better replaced by a split between a Lightning damage Stone of Jordan (for the permanent damage increase) and an Avarice Band (for the synergy with Goldwrap and Boon of the Hoarder).
The trio of Tempest Rush-oriented legendary items will remain in their place, as they are too valuable to pass up even during farming: Vengeful Wind for the massive increase to the SWK 6-piece bonus, Won Khim Lau for the damage multiplication and Cyclone Strike convenience, and Cesar's Memento for the substantial damage buffs.
To help you with farming the gear you need for your builds, we have two very useful guides that you can access by clicking the links below: a Salvage Guide to help you quickly check whether or not you can safely salvage a piece of gear and a Legendary Farming Guide to help you efficiently farm legendaries and set items.
In normal rifts, the third gem slot should be taken by Boon of the Hoarder. This high utility gem feeds you practically infinite gold and gives you a massive short-term speed boost while picking it up, automated by a worn Avarice Band. It will also render you practically invulnerable through a worn Goldwrap.
|Torso and Pants||
Adapting Kanai's Cube
Lastly, in order to maintain the valuable 6-piece bonus of Sunwuko and 3-piece bonus of the Sage set, you will need to cube a Ring of Royal Grandeur in the jewelry slot.
- 12 Mar. 2020: No changes necessary for Season 20.
- 21 Nov. 2019: Significantly expanded the overall information in the guide, Sage setup changed to reflect new items. Updated for Season 19.
- 23 Aug. 2019: Reviewed for Season 18.
- 16 May 2019: Guide was reviewed and approved for Season 17.
- 23 Mar. 2018: Added the guide.
- Challenge Rift 144 Guides
- Blizzard Provides Staff with Care Packages During Lockdown
- Rod Ferguson's Diablo 4 Tweets, Art Director Images
- Challenge Rift 143 Guides
- Best Starter Builds for Path of Exile: Delirium
- Blizzard Implementing Work from Home Policy Due to Coronavirus
- How to Launch Diablo 3 Without the Battle.net Client
- All Class Guides for Diablo 3 Season 20, Patch 2.6.8
- LoD Hydra Wizard
- Monk Sunwuko Set Dungeon
- PoJ Tempest Rush Monk
- Holy Shotgun Crusader (Patch 2.6.4)
- Uliana Monk (Patch 2.6.4)
- LoN Blood Nova Necromancer (Patch 2.6.5)
- LoD Poison Nova Necromancer
- WoL Monk (Patch 2.6.4)