Crusader Thorns of the Invoker Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7 / Season 23)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Crusaders who have access to the Thorns of the Invoker set.
This guide is part of our Crusader Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Punish Celerity Steed Charge Endurance 1 Laws of Hope Wings of Angels 2 Iron Skin Reflective Skin 3 Condemn Vacuum 4 Bombardment Barrels of Spikes|
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
The Thorns of the Invoker starter build differs significantly from the leveling and fresh 70 build, and thorns builds in general are not built like most Diablo 3 specs. It is important to know from the get-go that Thorns damage can not crit, but rather relies on fast application and specific cooldowns. This means that for all pieces of gear you will be aiming for Thorns damage in the secondary stats, as well as cooldown reduction and attack speed wherever possible.
The basic rotation of this beginner Thorns build is to run from pack to pack — either with a short temporary boost from Laws of Hope Wings of Angels, or a longer distance charge from Steed Charge Endurance. You will then draw enemies in with Condemn Vacuum, and drop Bombardment Barrels of Spikes manually to trigger the 4-piece Invoker bonus (however, you want to automate that as soon as possible with a Belt of the Trove). A combination of Iron Skin Reflective Skin and Punish Celerity Thorns application will decimate anything in your way.
In the passives, you will include the signature Thorns passive, Iron Maiden. Before you obtain Belt of the Trove, you might have to temporarily work with Lord Commander in order to have Bombardment as often as possible for the 4-piece set bonus damage reduction. As soon as you get the belt, swap that passive away for Hold Your Ground. Finery is a consistently useful bonus (Strength is a multiplier to Thorns damage), and you should also lean towards one handers for faster Thorns application with Fervor.
Gear and Builds Using This Set
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have a rough list of high priority items to obtain, as well as a link to the build they pertain to.
- Invoker Thorns Build — Belt of the Trove (belt); Heart of Iron and Aquila Cuirass (chests); Hack (1h axe); In-geom (1h sword); Vo'Toyias Spiker and Akarat's Awakening (shields); The Compass Rose, Justice Lantern and Convention of Elements (rings); The Traveler's Pledge (amulet).
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- All Class Skills for Amazon, Barbarian and Sorceress in Action in Diablo 2: Ressurected
- First Dupes Found on Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha
- Korean Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha to Be Extended, Possibly in the West as Well?
- Diablo 2: Resurrected in Ultrawide 32:9, 5120x1440
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Diablo II Resurrected Technical Alpha Starting April 8th
- Signs of the Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha: Korean Test Announced
- Razor Strop Fix for Game Freezes and Connection issues