Monk Uliana's Stratagem Fresh 70 Starter Build (Patch 2.7 / Season 23)
This build is a starter build for fresh Level 70 Monks who have access to the Uliana's Stratagem set.
This guide is part of our Monk Seasonal Progress Guide, which also includes a leveling build and other early builds for fresh 70 characters.
Fresh 70 Build
|Way of the Hundred Fists Blazing Fists Exploding Palm Impending Doom 1 Epiphany Desert Shroud 2 Dashing Strike Way of the Falling Star 3 Seven-Sided Strike Sustained Attack 4 Mantra of Conviction Annihilation|
How to Play the Build: Skills and Rotation
Uliana builds are heavily focused on their Seven-Sided Strike — Exploding Palm interaction, with the former detonating the latter in massive AoE bursts via the 6-piece bonus. Prior to that, and especially prior to obtaining the 4-piece bonus, Seven-Sided Strike will mostly be used to finish off monsters that had Exploding Palm applied via generator attacks (a mechanic attained from the earliest, 2-piece set bonus). Your basic goal will be to spread Exploding Palm with your generator, and then finish a debuffed enemy off with a combination of regular attacks and Seven-Sided Strikes. You will be speeding yourself up with Dashing Strike and Mantra of Conviction Annihilation, and protecting yourself with Epiphany Desert Shroud.
Uliana builds drop spenders and resource regeneration tactics in favor of a hit-and-run, controlled burst gameplay with Seven-Sided Strike. The recommended modification of the beginner build is:
- Slots 1 and 2 — Set Mechanics: Due to the way Uliana's set is built, two skills are non-negotiable inclusions to the playstyle. Your main damage dealer will be Exploding Palm, applied in various ways: from generators via the 2-piece set bonus, from Seven-Sided Strike (if you choose to cube a Madstone), and from a key priority legendary for the playstyle, Gungdo Gear. Seven-Sided Strike is also necessary for the playstyle, not only as supplementary damage (4-piece bonus), but also to detonate Exploding Palms on living enemies, circumventing the usual on-death requirement of the skill.
- Slot 3 — Generator: You will be including a resource generating attack not only to sustain Spirit for the hefty Seven-Sided Strike price, but also to spread Exploding Palm through the 2-piece set bonus. Way of the Hundred Fists is the usual recommendation for Uliana Monks, as it can augment the damage of EP detonations with the endgame rune Assimilation, or speed you up during early game farming with the rune Blazing Fists.
- Slot 4 — Mobility: You will keep the signature movement tool of Monks, Dashing Strike, to take the "locked position" fighting style of Uliana from one brawl to the next. The recommended rune for early farming is Way of the Falling Star, as it offers the most flexible mobility in the random rift layouts.
- Slots 5 and 6 — Utility: With damage taken care of, the remaining slots should be filled up by personal protection and utility. Another Monk mainstay is the protective Epiphany Desert Shroud, which synergizes well with a build that dives into the fray to deliver its damage; the added mobility and Spirit regen are just extras on top. Monks usually finish builds off with a Mantra, and you can tailor your choice according to your needs: the farming-oriented movement increase of Mantra of Conviction Annihilation, the strong defensive Mantra of Salvation Agility, or the party-wide attack speed buff of Mantra of Retribution Transgression.
- Passives: Uliana builds expose themselves to danger by the nature of the playstyle, so taking solid defensive passives like the Near Death Experience second life and the bulwark Harmony is recommended. The build hinges on cooldowns, so Beacon of Ytar is another logical inclusion. Finally, Mythic Rhythm is a massively strong, but very timing and situation-sensitive buff that uniquely synergizes with the Uliana playstyle and is universally included in it. For more indepth information on the use of Mythic Rhythm, consult the main Uliana build guide.
Gear and Builds Using This Set
The build above is specifically created not to require any additional sets or legendary items. In order to transition to a late game-oriented spec using the same set, we have a rough list of high priority items to obtain, as well as a link to the build they pertain to.
- Seven Sided Strike Build — Gungdo Gear (bracers); The Fist of Az'Turrasq and Lion's Claw (fist weapons); The Flow of Eternity (daibo); Binding of the Lost (belt); Lefebvre's Soliloquy (shoulders); The Traveler's Pledge (amulet); The Compass Rose and Unity (rings).
- 02 Apr. 2021: Reviewed for Season 23.
- 13 Mar. 2020: Reviewed for Season 20.
- 22 Nov. 2019: Page added.
- All Class Skills for Amazon, Barbarian and Sorceress in Action in Diablo 2: Ressurected
- First Dupes Found on Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha
- Korean Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha to Be Extended, Possibly in the West as Well?
- Diablo 2: Resurrected in Ultrawide 32:9, 5120x1440
- Blizzard Begins Monthly Collectible Series for 30th Anniversary with Lich King Statue & Concept Art Print
- Diablo II Resurrected Technical Alpha Starting April 8th
- Signs of the Diablo 2: Resurrected Alpha: Korean Test Announced
- Razor Strop Fix for Game Freezes and Connection issues