Arthas Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Arthas. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Arthas's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Arthas's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Arthas efficiently.
Arthas's Tips and Tricks
- Death Coil can be used on enemies to deal damage or on Arthas to heal, something that can be done faster by using the Self Cast Modifier [Alt + Q] rather than by mouse-hovering Arthas.
- Howling Blast being a slow projectile requires you to predict the movements of enemy Heroes.
- Frozen Tempest reduces both Movement Speed and Attack Speed of enemy Heroes, making it particularly effective against melee Heroes who rely on Basic Attacks.
- Frostmourne Hungers resets the cooldown of your Basic Attack, so try to use it immediately after a Basic Attack goes off.
- Army of the Dead can heal you on cooldown if you press R to cast it, then press and hold R for its duration.
- Summon Sindragosa disables enemy Structures, including the Healing Fountain, which can make it a very potent ability to use during pushes.
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 9 seconds
Deals 164 (+4% per level) damage to target enemy.
Can be self-cast to heal for 262 (+4% per level) Health.
Death Coil is a versatile Ability that can be used to either damage an enemy Hero or to heal Arthas. While playing as Solo Laner, it is usually better to cast this ability on yourself in order to restore lost Health than to use the Healing Fountain at the wrong time.
- Mana: 60
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
Root enemies within the target area for 1.25 seconds and deals 68 (+4% per level) damage.
Howling Blast is a powerful Ability that provides crowd control to Arthas, something that can be used to either engage or peel. While the target area is big enough to hit Heroes who are clumped together, the slow-moving projectile makes this Ability hard to hit. As a consequence, a good Arthas should usually look for a flank rather than a frontal engage.
- Mana: 13 per second
- Cooldown: 1 seconds
Deal 40 (+4% per level) damage per second to nearby enemies and Slow their Movement Speed by 10% per second, stacking up to 40%. Heroes hit also have their Attack Speed Slowed by 10% per second, stacking up to 40%. Frozen Tempest's effects last for 1.5 seconds.
Frozen Tempest is a toggleable Ability that reduces the Movement Speed of nearby enemies (not only Heroes) and the Attack Speed of nearby Heroes. Both effects get more powerful each second a given enemy stays within range, reaching the maximum value after 4 seconds. Howling Blast helps with that because it ensures that the enemy stays nearby for a few seconds.
The constant Slow is useful for chasing and—more importantly—for peeling away melee Heroes while the Attack Speed reduction is good against Heroes that heavily focus on Basic Attacks to deal damage. As a consequence, this Ability is particularly effective against Heroes with both those characteristics: melee Heroes who focus on Basic Attacks (such as Kerrigan or Thrall).
Mana management is important because you cannot use Abilities without it. While this Ability offers value in all scenarios, if Arthas uses it imprudently, he will find himself low on Mana very quickly. Always use it when damaging enemy Heroes or when clearing Mercenary Camps, but avoid using it when clearing Minions.
Army of the Dead
- Mana: 80
- Cooldown: 80 seconds
Summons Ghouls that last 15 seconds and atttack for 20 (+4% per level) damage. Sacrifice Ghouls to heal for 267 (+4% per level) Health.
Army of the Dead is a defensive Heroic Ability that lets Arthas summon several Ghouls that will fight at his side, allowing him to become an extremely durable frontline Hero, unless the enemy team has healing reduction effects and/or brust damage to drastically reduce its effectiveness.
- Mana: 100
- Cooldown: 100 seconds
Deals 230 (+4% per level) damage and Slows enemies by 60% for 4 seconds. Also disables Minions, Mercenaries, Monsters and Structures for 20 seconds.
Summon Sindragosa is an offensive Heroic Ability that, if aimed and timed correctly, can single-handedly decide the outcome of a team fight. The first thing an Arthas player has to take into account is its activation time of 1 second, which requires you to think ahead before actually casting the Ability; however, the big area of impact makes it not that hard to connect on enemy Heroes.
You do not even need to be scared about nearby enemy Structures because they will be disabled for 20 seconds, a powerful effect to further increase the advantage after winning a single-lane Objective (such as the Immortal on Battlefield of Eternity) because disabled Structures cannot deal any damage and disabled Healing Fountains cannot be used.
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
Activate to make Arthas's next Basic Attack strike immediately and deal 99 (+4% per level) increased damage. Dealing damage restores 30 Mana.
Frostmourne Hungers is an offensive and utility Trait that gives both burst damage and Mana Regeneration. When the chances to have a team fight within 10 seconds is low, activate it and attack a random enemy in a safe position (usually a Minion) just to get some Mana. During a team fight, use it on the focused enemy Hero. Remember that activating it will reset your Basic Attacks cooldown, so the best way to use this Ability is to immediately activate it after a Basic Attack, a trick that will result in you landing 3 Basic Attacks in the time window of 2 Basic Attacks.
- 03 May 2020: Ability and Strategy fully revised to match new standards.
- Tips and Tricks modified to add important tips that were missing and to remove obvious ones that were not worth mentioning.
- Ability Descriptions modified to better explain how to use Abilities effectively.
- 05 Jun. 2019: Slight updates to some of the ability descriptions.
- Call for Help Nexus Anomaly Feedback Wanted
- Haunted Mines Soundtrack Drum Cover
- Greek Gods Skin Concepts: Messenger Kharazim & Hades Ragnaros
- Heroes of the Storm Balance Update Patch Notes: May 6th
- Mythic Pantheon Skins Now Live
- Activision Blizzard Q1 2020 Earnings Call: Shadowlands Still Planned for 2020
- Free-to-Play Hero Rotation: May 5th
- Heroes of the Storm AMA Recap: April 30th
- Heroes of the Storm Abathur
- Heroes of the Storm Tracer
- Heroes with Self-Healing
- Ana's Best Nano-Busters
- Auriel's Best Hope Bearers
- Heroes of the Storm Cassia
- Heroes of the Storm Tassadar
- Quarantine Heroes btw