Kerrigan Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Kerrigan. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Kerrigan's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Kerrigan's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Kerrigan efficiently.
1. Kerrigan's Tips and Tricks
- Kerrigan should always use her Basic Abilities wisely in order to conserve Mana.
- Always use Impaling Blades and Primal Grasp together. Use Primal Grasp to pull enemies into Impaling Blades' area-of-effect.
- Primal Grasp will always pull enemies the same distance. Take this into account when placing Impaling Blades.
- Ravage can be used on enemy Structures or summoned creatures to close the gap between enemy Heroes or to retreat from a compromised position.
- Kerrigan excels with allied Heroes that can follow-up on her burst damage and crowd-control, however is weak against enemy teams with a strong frontline and lots of lockdown.
- Kerrigan is a fantastic early-game Hero. Take advantage of this by ganking early and often by maintaining extreme aggression.
- Attempt to flank enemies whenever possible to take advantage of an enemy hero's poor positioning.
- Enemies will usually attempt to avoid Kerrigan's Primal Grasp/ Impaling Blades combo by side-stepping it preemptively. Use this to your advantage when pursuing them by holding onto Kerrigan's combo until her target puts themselves in a bad position, making her combo unavoidable.
2. Assimilation (Trait)
Gain 10% of damage dealt from Basic Attacks and Abilities as Shields for 6 seconds. Shield amount gained doubled against Heroes.
Current maximum: 1004 (+4% per level).
Assimilation allows Kerrigan to dive deep into team fights and quickly regenerate Health in the form of shields through her own damage output. Assimilation has very little impact during the early-game, however becomes an integral component to Kerrigan's success as the match progresses and team fights become more frequent. Keep in mind that specific burst compositions may be too much for Kerrigan to handle should she rely solely on Assimilation to keep her alive after she has committed to a fight.
- Mana: 20
- Charges: 2
- Recharge Time: 8 seconds
Leap to a target, dealing 130 (+4% per level) damage. If the enemy dies within 1.5 seconds, restore 1 charge and refund 20 Mana.
While Ravage's cooldown will rarely reset from killing an enemy Hero, it is easy to proc off of minions. Kerrigan can use this to her advantage by leaping to an enemy minion, killing it, and then leaping again to her primary target. Using this method will allow Kerrigan to cross much greater distances than she would have been otherwise able to.
4. Impaling Blades
- Mana: 75
- Cooldown: 12 seconds
After 1.25 seconds, deal 180 (+4% per level) damage to enemies within the target area, stunning them for 1 second.
Impaling Blades does not only stun all enemies it strikes, but also deals a significant amount of AoE damage to them. There is a noticeable delay between when the ability is cast and when it will actually trigger, making Impaling Blades relatively difficult to land. This is why Impaling Blades should always (for the most part) be used in conjunction with Primal Grasp, as Primal Grasp will pull enemies into Impaling Blades, making it almost impossible to avoid. When fleeing from a pursuing enemy, it is recommended to simply cast Impaling Blades alone, as Primal Grasp will do nothing to help Kerrigan gain distance and will cause her to pause for its cast duration.
5. Primal Grasp
- Mana: 60
- Cooldown: 10 seconds
Pulls enemies within the target area towards Kerrigan, dealing 25 (+4% per level) damage. After 2.5 seconds, an explosion occurs around Kerrigan, dealing 180 (+4% per level) damage to nearby enemies.
Although Primal Grasp has a shorter cooldown than Impaling Blades, it should most often be used in combination with Impaling Blades, as both abilities are significantly weaker on their own. The delayed AoE damage portion of Primal Grasp relies on Kerrigan staying close to her target(s), even after having successfully landed her combo, in order to be effective.
Note that Primal Grasp only pulls affected enemies a predetermined distance towards Kerrigan, rather than pulling them to a specific point. Understanding and mastering this aspect of Primal Grasp is key to Kerrigan's strength and success. Newer Kerrigan players are strongly encouraged to spend time practicing her Primal Grasp/Impaling Blades combo in Training; as without it, Kerrigan loses almost everything that makes her such a valuable asset to her team.
- Mana: 100
- Cooldown: 90 seconds
Deals 74 (+4% per level) damage per second to nearby enemies. Lasts for 7 seconds.
In contrast to Kerrigan's other abilities, which deal burst damage, Maelstrom deals damage over time, making it extremely important that she is able to survive past the enemy team's initial burst damage. Maelstrom should be used in every major engagement, as well as in duels or small skirmishes if Kerrigan needs either the additional damage or damage mitigation provided by the shields Maelstrom will generate through Assimilation. Try to have Maelstrom affect as many targets when possible, however it is more advantageous for Kerrigan to stick to her allies' target of focus instead of positioning where Maelstrom might hit one or two additional targets.
7. Summon Ultralisk
- Mana: 100
- Cooldown: 80 seconds
After 0.5 seconds, summon an Ultralisk that rushes forward upon spawning, dealing 250 (+4% per level) damage to the first enemy Hero hit and Stunning them for 0.5 seconds.
The Ultralisk's Basic Attacks deal 50% of their damage in an area around their target. Reactivate to retarget the Ultralisk.
As the name implies, Kerrigan's first heroic option summons an Ultralisk companion that will accompany her for 20 seconds. When the ability is first cast, Kerrigan will shoot the Ultralisk in a target direction that will stun and deal damage to the first enemy struck. The Ultralisk's attacks render Basic Attack damage and will splash nearby enemies for 50% of the damage. The length of this skill shot allows Kerrigan to close the gap on a target that may be initially out of reach of her Impaling Blades/Primal Grasp combo. Kerrigan can adjust the Ultralisk's focus target by reactivating the heroic ability as many times as she desires during its lifespan.
- 01 Oct. 2018: Updated ability page to reflect changes published with the recent balance patch.
- Heroes of the Storm Orphea
- Heroes of the Storm Jaina
- Heroes of the Storm Lúcio
- Heroes of the Storm Mal'Ganis
- New tactic idea
- Heroes of the Storm Brightwing
- Heroes of the Storm Zeratul
- Heroes of the Storm Chromie