Mephisto Abilities and Strategy
Welcome to our Abilities page for Mephisto. Here, we give you an overview of every ability in Mephisto's kit. For each of them, we explain what it does, how to best use it, and how it works in combination with Mephisto's other abilities. We also give you strategy tips to play Mephisto efficiently.
Mephisto's Tips and Tricks
- Remember that Lord Of Hatred will reduce your cooldowns when planning Ability use.
- Cast Skull Missile toward enemies with impaired mobility.
- Keep in mind that Lightning Nova's radius is the same as Mephisto's Basic Attack range.
- Carefully plan Shade of Mephisto use; you will return to the initial cast location after a short time.
- Consume Souls should be channelled from a safe distance, so that it can not be interrupted.
- Cast Durance of Hate toward enemy Heroes who cannot move, to ensure that it will land.
- Watch for opportunities to follow-up your allies.
Lord Of Hatred (Trait)
Hitting enemy Heroes with Basic Abilities reduces Mephisto's Basic Ability cooldowns.
Skull Missile and Shade of Mephisto grant 1.5 seconds of cooldown reduction per Hero hit, and Lightning Nova grants 0.3 seconds per Hero hit.
Lord Of Hatred reduces the cooldowns of your Basic Abilities whenever you hit enemies with your Abilities. This allows Mephisto to chain his Abilities very fluidly. Lord Of Hatred can be enhanced by several Talents, including Shard of Hate, Spite, and Hysteria. Hysteria is among the most useful of these, as it applies Lord of Hatred to Mephisto's Heroic Abilities. While these Talents are all very useful, investing into Lord Of Hatred too heavily may lower your overall damage output.
- Mana: 20
- Cooldown: 8 seconds
Conjure a skull that travels in the target direction after 0.625 seconds, dealing 127 (+4% per level) damage to enemies hit and Slowing Heroes hit by 25% for 2 seconds.
Skull Missile is a slow moving projectile that is launched from the casting location after a relatively long delay. Due to the inherent lack of reliability of such a projectile, Skull Missile should be primarily used to trigger helpful effects, like those from Lord Of Hatred and Abhorred Skull. Skull Missile is also quite useful for waveclear, as Minions and Mercenaries are easy to hit with it.
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 14 seconds
A ring of lightning appears around Mephisto for 2.5 seconds. Enemies within the ring take 43 (+4% per level) damage every 0.25 seconds.
Each time a cast of Lightning Nova hits a Hero, its damage is increased by 3%, up to 30%.
Lightning Nova deals damage in a thin ring with a large radius. The effective area of Lightning Nova is actually rather small. To use Lightning Nova well requires constant repositioning in order to keep targets within the damaging area. Several Talents increase the damage and utility of Lightning Nova, perhaps the strongest of which is Static Field. When triggered, Static Field's effect causes all enemy Heroes within the ring's radius to take damage equal to a percentage of their maximum Health. Mimic is the other Talent that can increase Lightning Nova's area of effect, but it does so by allowing you to create two rings of lightning instead of one.
Shade of Mephisto
- Mana: 35
- Cooldown: 18 seconds
Teleport to a location, dealing 78 (+4% per level) damage to nearby enemies and leaving behind a Shade of Mephisto at Mephisto's original location.
After 2.5 seconds, Mephisto is teleported back to the Shade's location.
Shade of Mephisto temporarily repositions Mephisto, but returns him to the initial cast location after a short duration. This Ability can allow Mephisto to make aggressive plays with relative safety when the initial cast location is carefully premeditated. On the other hand, it is very dangerous to use Shade of Mephisto recklessly. Many Heroes have powerful delayed Abilities that can punish poor Shade use, almost certainly resulting in Mephisto dying.
- Mana: 80
- Cooldown: 120 seconds
Channel for 2.5 seconds, revealing all enemy Heroes. After the Channel completes, all enemy Heroes take 357 (+4% per level) damage and are Slowed by 25% for 2.5 seconds.
Consume Souls is a fantastic Heroic Ability that will damage, Slow, and reveal all enemy Heroes. This can only be avoided by Heroes that can prevent damage with shields, enter Stasis, or temporarily exit the Battleground. It is an extremely reliable effect, and works well with most Heroic ability chains.
Durance of Hate
- Mana: 50
- Cooldown: 50 seconds
After 1 second, unleash a wave of evil spirits that Root the first enemy Hero hit for 2.5 seconds and deal 250 (+4% per level) damage to them over the same duration.
Durance of Hate spreads outwards from its initial target, Rooting and damaging additional nearby enemy Heroes.
Durance of Hate is far less reliable than Consume Souls, but can be very powerful when deployed successfully.
- 14 Apr. 2020: Updated talents and build.
- 12 Jul. 2019: Removed reference to Talent "Anger" which was removed in balance patch.
- 04 Sep. 2018: Guide added.
- Enthusiast Gaming Acquires Icy Veins
- Activision Blizzard Q1 2021 Earnings Call
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: May 1-2
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 24-25
- New Leadership for Overwatch After Jeff Kaplan Leaves Blizzard
- Masters Clash Championship Recap: April 17-18
- Masters Clash Championship Schedule: April 17-18
- David Kim Leaves Blizzard (WoW Principal Designer and Former Diablo 4 Lead Systems Designer)
- Heroes of the Storm Malthael
- Returning to Heroes of the Storm as a healer and finding peace
- Heroes of the Storm Tier List
- How do I get out of Bronze/Silver?
- Heroes of the Storm Tyrael
- Heroes of the Storm ARAM Tier List
- Heroes of the Storm Malfurion
- Heroes of the Storm Falstad